Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    horrible play for someone who goes on to be named an all-star, named to Team USA, player of the Month and player of the week awards all within the last two years....How is this even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \

Good stretches of games for a month and injuries to other players.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      I'm happy to say I was wrong about this guy. I honestly didn't think he had the basketball IQ to hit another level but through hard work and dedication...all the things we heard about him but had never seen translated to anything more up until now, he's managed to hit a new level. I don't think he is a super star or top tier player, but would put him into the category of players like Horford, Griffin, Beal etc.

Hope he keeps this up because between he and Lowry, Raptors have a good thing going. Plus the other thing that I really like about DD, is that he seems to be well liked and connected with other young players and seems to be into the idea of bringing talent to Toronto.
      I'm glad you said this - particularly the idea that DD belongs in the class of players which includes Horford, etc. It has often been said that DD is not a "true superstar" or "top tier" player ... but in a kind of vague way, I think; one can't say DeMar belongs on a level with "generational" players (like Jordan, Kobe, Chamberlain) or hall of fame players. But this isn't much of a "knock", really, seems to me ...

Now that it seems to be more and more generally accepted that he's edging toward the "max" level, I think the question of what "paying him", or "letting him walk" might mean can be made more concrete.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
        stil a tonne of back patting and chest thumping from "the believers"

I, Will remain unmoved. If he can give multiple seasons of this over the top, above his skill level, type of performance he has put in for the past month, then maybe I wont view as a negative as a starter on a championship or even conference finals team.
        Lol

Maybe

Comment

• This season there's a definite difference in his play.

In all previous years, he took more than 30% of his shots from between 16ft and 3pt line (and the last 3 years were brutal at 36%, 34%, 34%). Now, he's down to 24%.

That 10% difference has gone directly into the 3-10 ft. range (up from 15% to 22% year over year) and the 0-3 ft. range (up from 19% to 22% year over year). The 10-16ft range, 23%, hasn't changed.

He's also shooting a considerably better percentage in the 3-10 ft and 10-16 ft range than last year (45.5% and 46% vs. 39% and 37%). I am not sure whether this is a result of better shot selection or just better shooting. hopefully the former.

So far, that suggests a substantial change in approach. Now, whether that's him personally or the coaching staff, hard to say.

It is too early to call him a changed player IMO, given the looong history of SHITTY shooting decisions from him. But very encouraging.

Now, as to this debate over "eating crow" or whatever bullshit. The "District" members have long defended derozan regardless of decision making. If anything, the "anti-derozan" (loosely used term) crowd should be the ones proclaiming victory, seeing as they've been calling for smarter shot selection for 3 years.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
            stil a tonne of back patting and chest thumping from "the believers"

I, Will remain unmoved. If he can give multiple seasons of this over the top, above his skill level, type of performance he has put in for the past month, then maybe I wont view as a negative as a starter on a championship or even conference finals team.
            Wow.

But we're sports guys, right? I'm not big on the "back-patting and chest-thumping", really. But it is a feature of sports culture. (Quite honestly not my favourite "bit" though). But it does seem to me that there's an effort here to characterize prior support of DeRozan as having been "unreasonable" ... rather than, say, "well-placed".

But anyway ... Are you going to run your "66ish more games ..." line through the full season, I wonder?

(It's tough. If DeMar had actually regressed this season, I strongly suspect I would have had a tough time wading through the "I told you so" remarks ... Which is one reason I'm not making any, by the way.)

But you know the league and the players quite well it seems. I would be curious to hear, if DeMar can at least equal his current level of play (not over the past 10 games but the season), how would you improve the team with him on it?

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              I've never ever seen him criticize demar ONCE. Not even once. That's crazy considering demar has had some horrible stretches of play over the years. That's crazy fandom
              There were enough critics of DeMar to serve the purpose, I think. That was why I would chime to speak of the possibility of his improvement. Especially given his #ProveEm stamp on the year (and his age ... and love for summer activity of all kinds).

Chr1st1an was a perfectly reliable "booster", sure. Even ardent. But calling his prior support for DeMar "crazy fandom" seems a bit like ye olde "sour grapes", to me.
              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Dec 29, 2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                Wow.

But we're sports guys, right? I'm not big on the "back-patting and chest-thumping", really. But it is a feature of sports culture. (Quite honestly not my favourite "bit" though). But it does seem to me that there's an effort here to characterize prior support of DeRozan as having been "unreasonable" ... rather than, say, "well-placed".

But anyway ... Are you going to run your "66ish more games ..." line through the full season, I wonder?

(It's tough. If DeMar had actually regressed this season, I strongly suspect I would have had a tough time wading through the "I told you so" remarks ... Which is one reason I'm not making any, by the way.)

But you know the league and the players quite well it seems. I would be curious to hear, if DeMar can at least equal his current level of play (not over the past 10 games but the season), how would you improve the team with him on it?
                By moving him to the bench and replacing him with a better offensive/defensive fit at sg and an upgrade at pf.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

KHD wrote: View Post
                  This season there's a definite difference in his play.

In all previous years, he took more than 30% of his shots from between 16ft and 3pt line (and the last 3 years were brutal at 36%, 34%, 34%). Now, he's down to 24%.

That 10% difference has gone directly into the 3-10 ft. range (up from 15% to 22% year over year) and the 0-3 ft. range (up from 19% to 22% year over year). The 10-16ft range, 23%, hasn't changed.

He's also shooting a considerably better percentage in the 3-10 ft and 10-16 ft range than last year (45.5% and 46% vs. 39% and 37%). I am not sure whether this is a result of better shot selection or just better shooting. hopefully the former.

So far, that suggests a substantial change in approach. Now, whether that's him personally or the coaching staff, hard to say.

It is too early to call him a changed player IMO, given the looong history of SHITTY shooting decisions from him. But very encouraging.

Now, as to this debate over "eating crow" or whatever bullshit. The "District" members have long defended derozan regardless of decision making. If anything, the "anti-derozan" (loosely used term) crowd should be the ones proclaiming victory, seeing as they've been calling for smarter shot selection for 3 years.
                  The anti-Derozan crowd should Claim victory for not believing he could "change" and wanting him traded at all costs???

Unbelievable! Seriously? Maybe comical is the right word.

Oh please cut the crap. Wipe the egg off your face. It happens.... Can't always be right eh? Just admit that you were proven wrong instead of trying to take credit for it.

Comment

The anti-Derozan crowd should Claim victory for not believing he could "change" and wanting him traded at all costs???

Oh please cut the crap. Wipe the egg off your face. It happens.... Can't always be right eh? Just admit that you were proven wrong instead of trying to take credit for not believing.

lol. I've been calling for better shots, and now that he's taking better shots he's more effective.

I'll admit i didn't think he could change. I still don't know if it will last. If it does, then great.

but yeah, #ProveEm and all that.

Comment

Oh please cut the crap. Wipe the egg off your face. It happens.... Can't always be right eh? Just admit that you were proven wrong instead of trying to take credit for it.

You are confusing never being a good shooter with never being able to take better shots.

He is still very much a poor shooter, just for the time being he is taking better shots.

We will see at end of season how the numbers look, now that jv is back and likely to start taking up more space in the middle we will see if in 2 months time demar is still shooting a career low % of attempts from the "terrible range"

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post

While some of the pro-DD camp certainly believed in his ability to change, the idea that Chr1st1an predicted all of this is laughable considering he said as recently as yesterday that "DD is playing the same as before". His steadfast refusal to believe that there was anything wrong with DD's game really makes his claims of "knew it all along" come across as the ultimate revisionist BS.

If you want to look at the last few years of posts, only pro-DD poster I remember that was consistent in saying that DD needed to change AND would change is Joey.
                        Last edited by Axel; Tue Dec 29, 2015, 02:19 PM.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                          lol. I've been calling for better shots, and now that he's taking better shots he's more effective.

I'll admit i didn't think he could change. I still don't know if it will last. If it does, then great.

I agree, I will wait and see how his shot selection balances out by seasons end.

Comment

• This glory-hunting competition is still going on I see... smh

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post

There you go. Much better.

You guys should be very happy....not bitter.

So what if a couple guys (who got the shit kicked out of them online for supporting Demar) want to let off a little steam....

It's all good.

Last edited by special1; Tue Dec 29, 2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                                Wow.

I still think we have to reserve any chest-thumping until the playoffs even though I could be doing the same; i.e., was calling DD elite offensively 2 seasons ago, based on the "golden" rule: USG>25 / ORTG>110 / MPG>30. LOL.

Simple reason we need to hold off is that, unlike sharpshooters, the main reason DeMar is able to maintain a high efficiency is based on a career high FT rate, which has at least 2 things out of his control: (1) his defender fouling him, (2) the refs calling it.

There's been a lot of talk about whether FT rate is sustainable in the playoffs. Since DD isn't quite yet one of the NBA glamour boys and Toronto isn't a glamour city, so I don't think we can guarantee that he's going to get the benefit of the whistle. More importantly, if the team we are facing can play DD tight without fouling, then he's going to have to make shots or make smart passes. He's been doing a better job at both this season, but make no mistake, his efficiency still comes largely from his FT rate. He's also been really, really good at getting guys up in the air with the pump fake, but that's probably the first thing that opposing players will try to resist doing in the playoffs. Especially when you play the same guy at least 4 times in a series.

Comment

Working...
                                X