Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    So I gotta ask,

If DeMar continues this level of play and the Raptors sign him to a max contract...then what does this mean for the future of JV in a Raptors uniform? At what point does the franchise look at this roster and say this is a 50 win team but if we want to take the next big step to contender then certain changes have to be made. I think JV's strenghts clash a bit with those of DeMar's and Lowry's.
    But what kind of player fits next to KL/DD ball dominate style?

JV's rebounding, and post scoring are really the next best thing.

Moving JV could net you a defensive C, but don't really see that as an upgrade to the team (not sure of a player that could be attained for this role that isn't a downgrade).

A stretch PF would be good, but that leaves you pretty weak at C and rebounding unless it's a Kevin Love type of player (which it likely wont be).

Any other winger would realistically need to replace DD/KLs role on offence, which doesn't accomplish much.

Really don't think keeping DD means anything particularly for JV in terms of roster building.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Well, you could say that with the acquisition of DC, that MU is trying to surround Lowry and DeRozan with 3 & D guys. And lets not forget they also went after Wes Matthews with the hopes of playing him at the 4.

I think MU is trying to follow the trend of getting faster and more mobile and getting better shooters so that's why I ask if JV will be part of the big picture or not. I can see him on the roster still, but I'm not sure if they can get the best out of this system with him playing a large role in it. I can see a move to a team like Philly that has a bundance of bigs that fit this system a bit more.
      we reportedly went after mathews and it was speculated that he or carroll would be the pf, it was just as likely that Wes would have been sg and demar was on his way out.

and Caroll actually fits in both scenarios IMO

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

Moving JV could net you a defensive C, but don't really see that as an upgrade to the team (not sure of a player that could be attained for this role that isn't a downgrade).

A stretch PF would be good, but that leaves you pretty weak at C and rebounding unless it's a Kevin Love type of player (which it likely wont be).

Any other winger would realistically need to replace DD/KLs role on offence, which doesn't accomplish much.

Really don't think keeping DD means anything particularly for JV in terms of roster building.
        Yeah, the overlap probably isn't too much of a risk considering the age difference. Jonas is still only 23 - as a centre, he's not likely to really peak for 3 or 4 more seasons. By that time Lowry will be well into his 30's, and he doesn't look like the kind of guy who is going to be able to sustain this level of play (health). I think Lowry's 3 pt shot could give him good longevity, but he'll eventually become a complimentary player right when DD and JV are in their primes with CoJo entering his.

There's definitely a scenario where you keep moving forward with the talent on board and hope to have the pieces to trade for a Tier 1 player if that becomes an option at some point.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          Yeah, the overlap probably isn't too much of a risk considering the age difference. Jonas is still only 23 - as a centre, he's not likely to really peak for 3 or 4 more seasons. By that time Lowry will be well into his 30's, and he doesn't look like the kind of guy who is going to be able to sustain this level of play (health). I think Lowry's 3 pt shot could give him good longevity, but he'll eventually become a complimentary player right when DD and JV are in their primes with CoJo entering his.

There's definitely a scenario where you keep moving forward with the talent on board and hope to have the pieces to trade for a Tier 1 player if that becomes an option at some point.
          Demar will not be in his peak in 3 or 4 more years.

He will be broken down.

Comment

That's a good question, and I think you may look to dowgrade at C to perhaps bring in a better PF. You're essentially looking for someone at C to defend, rebound, and to clean up around the basket. If he can hit an open jumper then that is a huge bonus. Ideally Biz improves on offense, but not holding my breath for that to happen. Not sure why, but the idea of Thad Young as a small ball C is in my head.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post

He will be broken down.
              lmfao, do you honestly think DeMar is going to break down at 29-30 years old?

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                I just ignore those types of Snooch comments.

DeMar's not actually that quick with the ball and is tall enough to shoot over a lot of guards, so that bodes well for his future. The lack of 3 point shot is a huge problem. With a 3 point shot I could see him having a very Paul Pierce-like career after 30 (optimal outcome).
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

MU obviously thought that Aldridge would be fine with Lowry/DD/JV. He also pursued Mathews. He brought in shooting and defense with Carroll and defense and a game manager with Joseph, so, I think it's pretty clear that MU is simply looking for the best players available and then the coaches/players will have to work it out.

Here's the thing: if you bring in a Tier 1 talent then things will change. They won't stay static. That guy will demand the ball and DD and Lowry will have fewer touches. For example, if the Raptors had landed Aldridge, we'd be seeing very different offensive sets designed to get him the ball.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post

He will be broken down.
                    Lol. The guy literally doesn't rely on his athletism what so ever. How would he break down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      I think he has. There are still several issues moving forward--
                      1. Consistency over 82 games
                      2. Playoff performance and adjust musts when things are taken away by opponents D
                      3. Post-payday level of motivation
                      4. Post -payday level of effort
                      5. Post-payday consistency.

He seems to have the work effort and mental toughness to manage these areas of concerns. Unlike the mental make-up of TR.
                      1 and 2 are large concerns, I don't think 3-5 apply, he just isnt a "keep gettin dem checks" player
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        MU obviously thought that Aldridge would be fine with Lowry/DD/JV. He also pursued Mathews. He brought in shooting and defense with Carroll and defense and a game manager with Joseph, so, I think it's pretty clear that MU is simply looking for the best players available and then the coaches/players will have to work it out.

Here's the thing: if you bring in a Tier 1 talent then things will change. They won't stay static. That guy will demand the ball and DD and Lowry will have fewer touches. For example, if the Raptors had landed Aldridge, we'd be seeing very different offensive sets designed to get him the ball.
                        Agreed, top talent trumps but again, don't see any reason to shop JV based on anything we've seen.

If someone becomes available (Boogie), then absolutely it's possible (although Boston could win any trade sweepstakes) but I don't expect JV to be moved any time soon.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          1 and 2 are large concerns, I don't think 3-5 apply, he just isnt a "keep gettin dem checks" player
                          Lol maybe every time DD has a chance to pull-up for a long-two, a voice in the back of his head goes "max contract" and he drives instead rofl.

Comment

That's a good question, and I think you may look to dowgrade at C to perhaps bring in a better PF. You're essentially looking for someone at C to defend, rebound, and to clean up around the basket. If he can hit an open jumper then that is a huge bonus. Ideally Biz improves on offense, but not holding my breath for that to happen. Not sure why, but the idea of Thad Young as a small ball C is in my head.
                            Is there a single PF that we can acquire with JV that would be offensively talented enough to offset Biz, while using a secondary scoring role and helping out on the glass?

Really don't think there is anyone who fits that who is worth trading JV for (and is available).

Biz is not a starting C in this league. Shifting holes doesn't really improve the team, especially with JVs team friendly contract.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                              why should I think otherwise?

its not very often that a 11th year player, whose go to offense it driving towards the rim, sustains that style of play up to his 30s.

Something always gives and changes...

look back in history of players that played the way demar plays right now.

Magette, Stackhouse, Gill, Sprewell, Rider, Daniels, Hughes

these are players I liken Demar to and all are players whose play declined around age 30.

I thing that Demar does get tons of credit for is getting to the line, but you cannot continue to be a player that bases his offense off of that and after 11 years of taking those hits still be, at the age of 30, doing it at a level fitting a top 2 or 3 on your team.

Comment

Is there a single PF that we can acquire with JV that would be offensively talented enough to offset Biz, while using a secondary scoring role and helping out on the glass?

Really don't think there is anyone who fits that who is worth trading JV for (and is available).

Biz is not a starting C in this league. Shifting holes doesn't really improve the team, especially with JVs team friendly contract.
                                Kevin Love, Cousins that's probably about it.

Don't have any interest in getting rid of JV unless it's a trade for a superstar. Just doesn't make sense. There are 2 better centers in the conference (Drummond and Horford), why would we do that unless it's for a surefire title-contending move?

Comment

Working...
                                X