Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Yes, I believe it does.

Val is second on the team in WP despite being just 5th in minutes played. He is also 2nd in WP/48 after Lowry.

This talk that he has to earn his minutes has to stop. It is factually incorrect. He earns his minutes in spades. He is a valuable contributor to this team. Every player - especially 22 year olds - have up and down nights.

As for the 15-4 record, I think that is similar to a drunken sailor spending his pay cheque, blowing his savings, and racking up debt to let the good times roll. At some point he is going to sober up and realize he has a lot of financial work to do to catch up if he ever wants to be financially secure and independent. And if he never comes to that realization then he's not going to amount to much long term anyways.

Same thing with Jonas and the Raptors. Give him lots of reps now and reap the rewards later. The only difference is giving him lots of reps now doesn't hurt the team. Sure he is going to have off nights - all players do - but Casey/Raps don't stop perimeter guys chucking if they are having an off night - why any difference in the post?
    It seems that Casey demands perfection only from Jonas, as he is able to make changes only there. Due to the fact KL and DD are authorities off and on the court. He is afraid to make big changes in the backourt. DD said himself that they can do anything on their offense as long as their defense is what Casey demands. This semi ISO offense is working, that's amazing, but when it comes to defense Casey wants JV to be Chandler, Noah type of guy, which he was projected to be, but clearly isn't. I would come back to the topic of double standarts. JV is far from perfect in defense, I started to notice some minor mistakes he makes as well, even his hustle seems not as high anymore, but hooking will not really help, as he is the starting center and he should not be treated like that especially when there is no real competition for the spot in the team. If there would be legit young back up center, then yeah, hooking is stimulus to improve, but in these situations it's quite desperating, when you get yanked, when you seem to be on fire and your minutes goes to Chuck or Stiemsa... It's quite depressing actually. Considering the offense, there are no real sets for JV, I understood/noticed that every pnr or first quarter effort to feed JV is coming from personal KL's willingness or small game plan, but obviously it's more of a tactical thing, when players can get their feet warm and defense set, when JV makes few attempts in the first. Most of the offense right now is improvisation, which is not supervised by DC, heck I would even dare to say that DC doesn't know much about running great offense. That's why his assistants were brought and that's why they are the ones drawing plays during close games crunch times.

To sum up this monologue, the main point I am trying to make is - DC hooks players only/mostly, when they fail in defense, he does not really care about their offense (remmember Rudy), and there are clearly double standarts (come hell or high water, AB, etc). JV will not be used effectivelly on offense until KL will want to so, or playoffs will come and they will prepare plays for him.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

...As for the 15-4 record, I think that is similar to a drunken sailor spending his pay cheque, blowing his savings, and racking up debt to let the good times roll...
      Man, you are going to draw some heat from the Beneficent Sailors Society for that kind of stereotyping, whether it is accurate or not.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Man, you are going to draw some heat from the Beneficent Sailors Society for that kind of stereotyping, whether it is accurate or not.
        now now now slow down

I didn't say all sailors were drunks!

Comment

• Against Favors/Kanter (Utah) his defense was shitty → http://www.nbafullreplay.com/search/label/Utah%20Jazz

Comment

• godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
            Against Favors/Kanter (Utah) his defense was shitty → http://www.nbafullreplay.com/search/label/Utah%20Jazz
            And players have bad games.

Shit happens.

Comment

• godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
              Against Favors/Kanter (Utah) his defense was shitty → http://www.nbafullreplay.com/search/label/Utah%20Jazz
              Yeah, you know who else's defence was shitty? Every other player on the team, except for JJ.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Yes, I believe it does.

Val is second on the team in WP despite being just 5th in minutes played. He is also 2nd in WP/48 after Lowry.

This talk that he has to earn his minutes has to stop. It is factually incorrect. He earns his minutes in spades. He is a valuable contributor to this team. Every player - especially 22 year olds - have up and down nights.

As for the 15-4 record, I think that is similar to a drunken sailor spending his pay cheque, blowing his savings, and racking up debt to let the good times roll. At some point he is going to sober up and realize he has a lot of financial work to do to catch up if he ever wants to be financially secure and independent. And if he never comes to that realization then he's not going to amount to much long term anyways.

Same thing with Jonas and the Raptors. Give him lots of reps now and reap the rewards later. The only difference is giving him lots of reps now doesn't hurt the team. Sure he is going to have off nights - all players do - but Casey/Raps don't stop perimeter guys chucking if they are having an off night - why any difference in the post?
                WS overrate 3rd/4th options on teams so I don't think statements that Jonas has to earn his minutes are factually inaccurate. You just don't agree.

When I see Jonas, I see an effective offensive player who gets lost on defense, loses steam when playing long minutes and gives inconsistent effort. I also think those are all signs of a young big learning the game, so it doesn't worry me long term.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• I give it two years before the Jonas trolls are constantly demanding for him to be traded.
                  Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu Dec 4, 2014, 11:30 AM.
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    I give two years before the Jonas trolls are constantly demanding for him to be traded.
                    Are you calling me a Jonas troll?
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      Are you calling me a Jonas troll?
                      No lol. I thought your post was reasonable.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Yes, I believe it does.

I'm acting like one of people on this site that gets all bent out of shape when someone hints at something negative about DD or JV, but I guess I'm a Casey fan, so I gotta step up for my dude....

My arguement here is that JV has gotten plenty of reps. I remember all the talk about how JV would prosper from added experience playing for his national team and in the Olympics instead of playing for a collegiate team in the U.S. or coming to Toronto and acclamating himself to his surrounding and new team mates his first years. Well how much did that help him? He has more reps for a player his age than most, but he's still slow picking up the speed of the NBA game. He has a low basketball IQ, and yes that will increase after more experience, but there isn't a number of reps you can put on that. He's learning the right way and is being kept from picking up bad habits.

Also, I think giving him more reps now does have the potential to hurt the team. If he continues to blow defensive assignments in crunch time as he continually does during the first 3 quarters then the wins are affected. His team mates would grow frustrated (memories of Bosh screaming at Bargnani), and not to mention Jonas himself might be affected. You see how frustrated he gets when he blows a lay up or gets something as simple as a foul called on him. He screws up during crunch time and knows he cost the team a winnable game, and you don't think he'll let it affect his confidence that much more?

Anyways, I'm not much for back and fourth arguements, but I think these are valid reasons to stay the course. He's got a lot of years in this league and I for one think Casey is handling him well.

Something to consider....JV progresses they way Casey is grooming him to, and he IS going to be ridiculously good when he hits his peak. He gets thrown into the fire and given all the minutes, shots and leeway that DeMar and Bargnani were given he could end up ridiculously good or into and undisciplined player without the good habits Casey is trying to teach him...Bargs or even Rudy to make a comparison. Personally, I don't see enough discipline or IQ in JV to think that giving him that freedom will yeild a player like Bosh or DeMar. Ofcourse that is just my analysis of JV's personality.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          I'm acting like one of people on this site that gets all bent out of shape when someone hints at something negative about DD or JV, but I guess I'm a Casey fan, so I gotta step up for my dude....

My arguement here is that JV has gotten plenty of reps. I remember all the talk about how JV would prosper from added experience playing for his national team and in the Olympics instead of playing for a collegiate team in the U.S. or coming to Toronto and acclamating himself to his surrounding and new team mates his first years. Well how much did that help him? He has more reps for a player his age than most, but he's still slow picking up the speed of the NBA game. He has a low basketball IQ, and yes that will increase after more experience, but there isn't a number of reps you can put on that. He's learning the right way and is being kept from picking up bad habits.

Also, I think giving him more reps now does have the potential to hurt the team. If he continues to blow defensive assignments in crunch time as he continually does during the first 3 quarters then the wins are affected. His team mates would grow frustrated (memories of Bosh screaming at Bargnani), and not to mention Jonas himself might be affected. You see how frustrated he gets when he blows a lay up or gets something as simple as a foul called on him. He screws up during crunch time and knows he cost the team a winnable game, and you don't think he'll let it affect his confidence that much more?

Anyways, I'm not much for back and fourth arguements, but I think these are valid reasons to stay the course. He's got a lot of years in this league and I for one think Casey is handling him well.

Something to consider....JV progresses they way Casey is grooming him to, and he IS going to be ridiculously good when he hits his peak. He gets thrown into the fire and given all the minutes, shots and leeway that DeMar and Bargnani were given he could end up ridiculously good or into and undisciplined player without the good habits Casey is trying to teach him...Bargs or even Rudy to make a comparison. Personally, I don't see enough discipline or IQ in JV to think that giving him that freedom will yeild a player like Bosh or DeMar. Ofcourse that is just my analysis of JV's personality.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                            WS overrate 3rd/4th options on teams so I don't think statements that Jonas has to earn his minutes are factually inaccurate. You just don't agree.

When I see Jonas, I see an effective offensive player who gets lost on defense, loses steam when playing long minutes and gives inconsistent effort. I also think those are all signs of a young big learning the game, so it doesn't worry me long term.
                            Who is taking his minutes that is contributing more to wins and how so?

When I see Jonas, I see an effective offense player who is ignored for extremely long stretches of the game, loses steam when playing long minutes that are due to horrible minute distribution by the coach, and does let the poor decisions of his coach, ISO-tenancies of his teammates, and bad foul calls influence his effort and demeanour (which is something he needs to fix). I also see a young man learning the NBA game from the bench when he should be getting more opportunity on the floor.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              I give it two years before the Jonas trolls are constantly demanding for him to be traded.
                              you calling ME a Jonas troll?
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                you calling ME a Jonas troll?
                                Admit it, you have something against JV!

Comment

Working...
                                X