Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don't care about JV's passing right now, tighten up his defense first and keep working on the 15-17 foot shot.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

    Comment


    • Not taking any of those rankings for granted because they are beautiful to see. However, I would have loved to see him be the top guy for all of the rebounding rankings. 6th in defensive rebounding is low for him I feel. Great to see he got some quality b'ball in this summer.

      Comment


      • # of steals does not a good defender make

        Comment


        • Vykis wrote: View Post
          Sabonis' reactions during the game last night


          #FreeSabonis

          Has JV worked specifically with Sabonis? There must be some level of involvement, but if you want JV to work on his passing game, there's the guy to pair him up with right there. The Raptors should bring Arvydas on staff...
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

          Comment


          • S.R. wrote: View Post
            #FreeSabonis

            Has JV worked specifically with Sabonis? There must be some level of involvement, but if you want JV to work on his passing game, there's the guy to pair him up with right there. The Raptors should bring Arvydas on staff...
            I dont think they could get him honestly.

            But there are lots of ex greats that I would love to see him work with.

            Comment


            • To be fair JV passing ability isn't that big of a deal now. Especially since his a 3rd option right now. If he ever wants to be more though he is going to has to improve on that. Right now he'll be surrounded by good passers in the starting line up with Klow/DD/Carroll and Scola.
              @Chr1st1anL

              Comment


              • S.R. wrote: View Post
                #FreeSabonis

                Has JV worked specifically with Sabonis? There must be some level of involvement, but if you want JV to work on his passing game, there's the guy to pair him up with right there. The Raptors should bring Arvydas on staff...
                JV worked with Jack Sikma this summer, who I think would be on par with Sabonis as far as big men passing skills go.

                Comment


                • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  To be fair JV passing ability isn't that big of a deal now. Especially since his a 3rd option right now. If he ever wants to be more though he is going to has to improve on that. Right now he'll be surrounded by good passers in the starting line up with Klow/DD/Carroll and Scola.
                  It's a big deal in my opinion.

                  Dude needs to learn how to pass of the dribble. He deserves "easy to defend" 'tag' at the moment.
                  Last edited by rocwell; Thu Sep 17, 2015, 05:00 PM.

                  Comment


                  • rocwell wrote: View Post
                    It's a big deal in my opinion.

                    Dude needs to learn how to pass of the dribble. He deserves "easy to defend" 'tag' at the moment.
                    Easy to defend?

                    Is thay why he has such a high fg%? Cause he is easy to defend?

                    And i dont want my 7 foot tall 250 lb center passing off the dribble...kickouts sure, finding cutters with handoffs..yup.

                    Dribble drive passes?...

                    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • Snooch wrote: View Post
                      Easy to defend?

                      Is thay why he has such a high fg%? Cause he is easy to defend?

                      And i dont want my 7 foot tall 250 lb center passing off the dribble...kickouts sure, finding cutters with handoffs..yup.


                      Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
                      Kickouts, finding cutters - that's what I had in mind, but Jonas is struggling to do such stuff when he puts the ball on the floor.

                      Look, just don't get me wrong. He can be efficient offensively and easy to defend. There's a reason why HS-level coaches encourage big men to pass the ball. It's becoming so easy to defend players like Jonas by trapping his dribble and taking that loose ball. It happened way too many times last season and sometimes you can see that kid is losing patience and confidence cuz of this.

                      Comment


                      • rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Kickouts, finding cutters - that's what I had in mind, but Jonas is struggling to do such stuff when he puts the ball on the floor.

                        Look, just don't get me wrong. He can be efficient offensively and easy to defend. There's a reason why HS-level coaches encourage big men to pass the ball. It's becoming so easy to defend players like Jonas by trapping his dribble and taking that loose ball. It happened way too many times last season and sometimes you can see that kid is losing patience and confidence cuz of this.
                        I agree that he needs both more opportunity and more practice to find the open man and improve his passing, which would be a huge asset for both the team's offense and his own.

                        Having said that, when your teammates stand around and watch you operate all by yourself, ISO'd on the low block just four times a game, it makes it rather easy for the opposition to send double-teams without having to worry about off-ball movement resulting in an open man or open passing lane.

                        It's also not like JV has shown zero ability to find a man. When DeRozan was injured, there was a stretch of games when JV made his move across the lane as was cutoff by a second big, and was able to find open men (I recall back-to-back games when a diagonal cross-court pass found an open Ross for a made 3pt shot).

                        I'm no NBA coach, but maybe DC should even draw up a play that specifically calls for JV to look for option 1 or option 2 off his low-block penetration, with off-ball movement and screens specifically designed to get 2 men (ie: Patterson & Carroll) open looks on the perimeter. Heaven forbid an offensive play-call is actually designed and implemented to force him to pass and, more importantly, force his teammates to move!

                        Comment


                        • rocwell wrote: View Post
                          Kickouts, finding cutters - that's what I had in mind, but Jonas is struggling to do such stuff when he puts the ball on the floor.

                          Look, just don't get me wrong. He can be efficient offensively and easy to defend. There's a reason why HS-level coaches encourage big men to pass the ball. It's becoming so easy to defend players like Jonas by trapping his dribble and taking that loose ball. It happened way too many times last season and sometimes you can see that kid is losing patience and confidence cuz of this.
                          Big part of that struggling is lack of options. I keep coming back to this because I was (am?) a post player. If you don't have guys moving off the ball, you can't pass. You can't really create an angle because you're working in close quarters in the post unlike on wing where you can dribble it out and attack.


                          As for JV being able to pass off dribble, I don't think it is a huge need. If you have off ball movement, he should be able to hit someone without putting it on the floor. The most I want to see him dribble is 1 bounce. Very few post players have a game today where they can get a bucket with no bounce or one at most. Footwork today is very much lacking and in the post, footwork is everything.

                          Comment


                          • He needs more opportunity. Fair points.

                            Comment


                            • S.R. wrote: View Post
                              #FreeSabonis

                              Has JV worked specifically with Sabonis? There must be some level of involvement, but if you want JV to work on his passing game, there's the guy to pair him up with right there. The Raptors should bring Arvydas on staff...
                              Sabonis is the president of Lithuanian basketball federation. So probably no. But they do work out a little bit when Jonas joins Lithuania NT (for the last 2-3 summers). Arvydas Sabonis' son - Domantas is also on the roster. He plays for Gonzaga and is projected to be picked in the first round next year.

                              About Jonas' passing - he is the best player for Lithuania NT. Everyone is looking how to give him the ball and no one is expecting him to pass it back. As a low post scorer he's extremely efficient and is their go to guy. Same thing (even more) was when he played for youth teams. So I think he just never had the chance to develop his passing and it would improve if he was allowed to play through his mistakes. And if Raptors would run more PnR's Jonas would be scoring a shit load of points. It's frustrating to see how Casey chooses ISO plays instead of PnR.

                              Finally, probably my favorite pass by Sabas:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZSuksGMJY8
                              Last edited by Henry_Chinaski; Thu Sep 17, 2015, 07:17 PM.
                              MeDar ReDozan

                              Comment


                              • Wait, why should we care about his passing off the dribble? Most passing out of the post is from a standstill. When big men dribble too much, they usually get themselves into trouble. Even most of the very good ones. Most of the passes you want your post player to make come from just standing and waiting for an opportunity. The more Cs have to move with the ball, the more likely they are to turn it over...Unless they're Hakeem Olajuwon.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X