Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    Haha great minds.

It's funny, cause I would say that Casey is a better public speaker than Masai, yet feel that Masai knows more than he says and with Casey it might be the opposite.
    I actually think Masai is a much better public speaker than Casey. Despite the fact that English is clearly not his first language, he always clearly says exactly what he means to say, even when what he's saying is "I ain't telling you guys shit about anything" .

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      I guess that depends how you define poor speaker. He certainly isn't a deep thinker when speaking with the media - he never ponders anything, and he uses an endless stream of cliches. You could make the case that that's the mark of someone who isn't at ease.
      Yeah, but he doesn't always know exactly what questions are coming or how many. He does pretty well. I've heard much worse public speakers than him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I actually think Masai is a much better public speaker than Casey. Despite the fact that English is clearly not his first language, he always clearly says exactly what he means to say, even when what he's saying is "I ain't telling you guys shit about anything" .
        But that is what he always says, lol.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
          But that is what he always says, lol.
          Yeah, much of the time.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Masai definitely is. But that's nothing for DC to be ashamed of. Masai handles himself very well all the time.

I suppose I should take whatever Casey says to the media with a grain of salt. He always has a polite and respectful manner with the media but that doesn't mean he gives a shit about being 100% honest or taking the time and effort necessary to explain things fully. He might just be giving them some soundbites and getting on with his day. Likely doesn't concern him much.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• how much do think Masai interferes in the player development, playing time aspect? I know for a fact ( I have inside knowledge on that ) (Triano used to drown his sorrows at a bar I worked at) that BC interfered non stop.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                At this point, I think that Dwane has legitimate issues speaking publicly, and it makes it hard for him to communicate effectively. Nothing else really makes sense.
                Agreed. I feel like he does tend to speak a little too casually at times and not like anything he says is going to be analyzed over and over. As a member of a professional sports team he needs to have that realization that what he says is being recorded and will be talked about everywhere. Casey has always carried himself very casually though like he has no fear of judgement or of losing his job so I think it's in his nature to speak casually and not like he's being cross examined.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                  how much do think Masai interferes in the player development, playing time aspect? I know for a fact ( I have inside knowledge on that ) (Triano used to drown his sorrows at a bar I worked at) that BC interfered non stop.
                  Well, I think it has to be true a GM is entitled to share his vision, offer guidance and even direction to a coach... but at some point this will become "micro-managing" ... and a coach will be frustrated and undermined. For me, only then is a GM "interfering". Our management team seems quite functional.

BTW In the wake of the recent discussions about Casey's speaking style I went and watched Casey's training camp interviews from September 28 and 30 ... and I feel as if the criticism of his interview style is "in the eye of the beholder" stuff. We all know that coaches (and lawyers and CEO's etc., etc.) have to keep various kinds of information internal to the staff and organization. Good coaches offer what they can, but protect players and try to mute speculation about various issues. Not easy.

Beyond that, I saw a reasonably comfortable and gracious man calling the members of the media by their first names, trying to offer fans some insights about the team's direction and players' development, and so on. I think the vague suggestions that Casey has some sort of condition (stage-fright? ADHD?) a little weird. A symptom of the discontent that is always "out there" until a team wins it all ... or gets very close.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/?splash=off (Sept. 28th 12:00)

http://www.nba.com/raptors/?splash=off (Sept. 30th 6:00)

I'm sure John Gibbons is breathing a little easier this month. What Alex Anthopolous and the players have done is largely responsible.
                  Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Oct 1, 2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Game 1 offense:

I noticed the Raptors are still having JV out and above the three point line to run a high pick and role in the center of the floor. This is used in our high screen and somewhat in horns.

The opposing center can then double our guard without worry because JV cant dive quick enough to the rim, and likes to pause at the screen (which really opens up seperation for the guard...kind of a catch 22)

If we want to feature JV and take advantage of his post game and hopefully his mid range game this season this high screen issue is going to need to be adressed.

My initial thoughts are to utilize JV in the same way Utah does (from memory).

What they used to do was run a pick and roll from the corner of the key (ft line). That way the big only had one or two strides to the front of the rim and it was very quick, almost impossible to defend with a guard with hood handles and a big who could catch the ball high. They ran the screen on the baseline side and had the center roll to the middle, we could adapt it to run both middle and baseline (thinking short corner jimmy from val)

For the right side of the floor and a baseline screen I was thinking a Carroll screen from the wing on Lowry (centered on the three). Carroll would pop to the top of the 3pt arc after. Lowry would drive into JV who is crossing the key from left to right to a spot just right of the FT line. Lowry can go to the hole or hit JV on the roll. Opposite corner sees a screen from DeMar onto Patterson at the elbow. Patterson fades to the corner three for the baseline pass from Lowry, or the pass from JV in the middle (because Pattersons man will help on the JV roll). One wrench is DD's man will leave him because he isnt a threat. Could disrupt things. Ditto left side.

If we want to get Lowry to the center of the floor (instead of JV), we could have DD bring the ball up the floor and Lowry run to the right corner. They would then run a dribble handoff below the FT line extended (with DD going to the corner) and Lowry driving his man into JV (who is coming across the key to the FT line extended. Pick and roll action. Weak side have Patterson run a pin down screen for Carroll, who would be an outlet pasd at the elbow (for three) and Patterson fades to the corner (for the second pass and three).

This would get Lowry and JV the ball in or near the paint and should open up the three point arc for Carroll and Patterson.

As an initial play call it doesnt seem too bad...wonder what kind of variations it could yield vs the horns we are attempting to instill. I think this utilizes our personell a bit better...especially JV's size and solid screens

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      The only reason Casey is making adjustments now is cause he believe that JV has matured enough to close out games. There was no reason to build a defense for a guy that was playing 25 mins a game. Now that JV is at the point in his career where he has the coaches confidence to close out games. He'll be playing probably around 30 minutes a game. Which is a large amount of the game. None of our other bigs struggled with the defensive system except for JV last year. That's why are defense was better when he was seating. Now that his going to be playing the majority of the time Casey has to built a defense to make up for his defensive liabilities.
                      Do you think Masai may have had a discussion with Casey in the offseason? I do.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                        Do you think Masai may have had a discussion with Casey in the offseason? I do.
                        Not like Masai to get involved but, who knows
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• If my memory serves me right, Masai told the media ( exit interviews ) that he'll talk with Casey about JV's development and involvement.
                          Last edited by rocwell; Tue Oct 6, 2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Keeping the bigs closer to the basket defensively sounds good to me. The scramble unit approach was such a mess and JV's FG% defence at the rim was underutilized. I'll be convinced when I don't see every other pick and roll turn into a 2 on 1 in the paint. Guards have to fight through those.

Offensively, I still miss having a pg who can consistently hit the rolling big with a nice high pass. Does CoJo do that?
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Keeping the bigs closer to the basket defensively sounds good to me. The scramble unit approach was such a mess and JV's FG% defence at the rim was underutilized. I'll be convinced when I don't see every other pick and roll turn into a 2 on 1 in the paint. Guards have to fight through those.

Offensively, I still miss having a pg who can consistently hit the rolling big with a nice high pass. Does CoJo do that?
                              True, I guess I am used to seeing Lowry cut in front of JV and put up the mid ranged shot.

Would be nice if someone passed to him consistently

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Keeping the bigs closer to the basket defensively sounds good to me. The scramble unit approach was such a mess and JV's FG% defence at the rim was underutilized. I'll be convinced when I don't see every other pick and roll turn into a 2 on 1 in the paint. Guards have to fight through those.
                                This is an often missed point that is lost in the whole defense discussion. You can blue/down/ice side screen and roll but a big part of the issue for Toronto last year was the high screen and roll and the terrible effort/execution by the Raps perimeter people on the ball. You can scheme all you want but, whatever the cause, Toronto's perimeter guys were absolutely useless last year at providing any resistance at all to dribble penetration. In fact, forget the pick and roll - opposing guards were blowing by our boys on straight line drives without screens at all. That stuff has to stop or the scheme doesn't matter much.

Same with the ice/blue/down stuff. It's a solid tactic but it does create weaknesses off the ball and the players have to rotate quickly and close out effectively when the ball handler gives it up.

Again, scheme is important, but the actual players have to execute. The personnel is certainly better this year on the perimeter but we'll see if the commitment, focus and energy is there on a game-to-game basis throughout the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X