Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brook Lopez has a broken foot.

Source: http://espn.go.com/newyork/conversat...gery-scheduled

He was the key piece to Orlando for Howard.. this could also mean the end of DWill in NJ as well. I heard that Dallas is freeing up cap space to land DWill.. better chance of that happening now.

The article says that the recovery time for similar injuries in the past is only 4-6 weeks, but that's assuming all goes well. Hoping for the best for Lopez... however this gives the Raptors more competitors for the worst record in the league, and the #1 pick overall.

Now that NJ needs a big... could we perhaps give them Bargnani for their pick (unprotected), and the right to swap 2013 picks (which they could try to use for Howard once Lopez gets back)?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=73o5g89

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      Brook Lopez has a broken foot.

Source: http://espn.go.com/newyork/conversat...gery-scheduled

He was the key piece to Orlando for Howard.. this could also mean the end of DWill in NJ as well. I heard that Dallas is freeing up cap space to land DWill.. better chance of that happening now.

The article says that the recovery time for similar injuries in the past is only 4-6 weeks, but that's assuming all goes well. Hoping for the best for Lopez... however this gives the Raptors more competitors for the worst record in the league, and the #1 pick overall.

Now that NJ needs a big... could we perhaps give them Bargnani for their pick (unprotected), and the right to swap 2013 picks (which they could try to use for Howard once Lopez gets back)?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=73o5g89
      I don't think NJ giving up their pick happens as much as I would love it to. Any trade for Howard would have NJ draft pick being a focal point in my opinion as well as the HOU first round pick (that is lottery protected). Sending it to Toronto would give the Lakers a leg up on NJ as they would have the 2 first round picks plus a dominant (when healthy) big man.

*EDIT* I just read your trade forum idea. Do you mean NJ could trade Bargnani and Lopez for Howard?
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Dec 22, 2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I don't think NJ giving up their pick happens as much as I would love it to. Any trade for Howard would have NJ draft pick being a focal point in my opinion as well as the HOU first round pick (that is lottery protected). Sending it to Toronto would give the Lakers a leg up on NJ as they would have the 2 first round picks plus a dominant (when healthy) big man.

*EDIT* I just read your trade forum idea. Do you mean NJ could trade Bargnani and Lopez for Howard?
        Yes that was one scenario I had in mind.. Bargnani and Lopez both go to Orlando for Howard. NJ was considering using Wallace (from Portland) to make the deal happen.

Here is a source (probably not a good one, but it mentions the deal that was nixed):
        http://www.examiner.com/portland-tra...d-to-nets-deal

Since NJ desperately needs a center now (since Lopez is gone), they get Bargnani to fill in for him. Once Lopez is back, they can swing a deal for Howard that gives Orlando both Lopez and Bargnani and Houston's pick or maybe our 2nd rounder.

We essentially are helping NJ land Howard by using Bargnani (as opposed to Portland using Wallace to do the same thing). If they don't end up getting Howard, they get to keep Bargnani, and see if they can find a suitor for Lopez who has an expiring contract. Lopez being injured seriously kills any Howard deal.. getting Bargnani gives them hope.

Just an idea to get another pick.. that's all. Probably not going to happen though.

Comment

Yes that was one scenario I had in mind.. Bargnani and Lopez both go to Orlando for Howard. NJ was considering using Wallace (from Portland) to make the deal happen.

Here is a source (probably not a good one, but it mentions the deal that was nixed):
          http://www.examiner.com/portland-tra...d-to-nets-deal

Since NJ desperately needs a center now (since Lopez is gone), they get Bargnani to fill in for him. Once Lopez is back, they can swing a deal for Howard that gives Orlando both Lopez and Bargnani and Houston's pick or maybe our 2nd rounder.

We essentially are helping NJ land Howard by using Bargnani (as opposed to Portland using Wallace to do the same thing). If they don't end up getting Howard, they get to keep Bargnani, and see if they can find a suitor for Lopez who has an expiring contract. Lopez being injured seriously kills any Howard deal.. getting Bargnani gives them hope.

Just an idea to get another pick.. that's all. Probably not going to happen though.
          I am all for that idea.

Even after a Dwight Howard trade sometime in February (hypothetically speaking) I don't think the Nets make the playoffs.

Comment

I don't want any part of bringing Dwight into the same Division as us. haha

And what is it that we get back from Bargnani in that deal?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              I don't want any part of bringing Dwight into the same Division as us. haha

And what is it that we get back from Bargnani in that deal?
              Yeah.. I know the sentiment.. it's why I didn't want to make a play to help the Knicks land Chandler.

However for your second statement there.. it's all about the pick, baby! Imagine having 2 top 5 picks?

Comment

Yeah.. I know the sentiment.. it's why I didn't want to make a play to help the Knicks land Chandler.

However for your second statement there.. it's all about the pick, baby! Imagine having 2 top 5 picks?
                That is something to consider. The flip side might be having JV go against Howard a number of times a year extra will only help him develop (I don't think JV is the type to back down or not accept a challenge but that is just my opinion).

Back to your idea regarding the trade, I think New Jersey is on the phone with New Orleans sniffing one of Kaman or Okafor. I would guess Kaman as he is also an expiring. Sending Kaman and Lopez to Orlando would be better than Bargnani and Lopez in my opinion.

Comment

Expect the Howard trade talk to heat up:

2-5 in last 7.
                  3 losses by 20 or more - including a loss to league worst NOH.
                  Blow out loss to Boston with franchise record low in points then a loss to Boston when up by 27.
                  Howard telling guys to stay home.

Comment

Expect the Howard trade talk to heat up:

2-5 in last 7.
                    3 losses by 20 or more - including a loss to league worst NOH.
                    Blow out loss to Boston with franchise record low in points then a loss to Boston when up by 27.
                    Howard telling guys to stay home.
                    Yep I was thinking that too. If it is a trade best chance is LA.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...gic_nba_013112

Woj rips D12 a new one.... and rightfully so. Much like Carmelo saga, I can't wait for this one to finish. I also hope the end result is like Melo's thus far in NY.

Comment

Larry Coon gives basically every possible scenario regarding Dwight Howard.

Scenarios
                        The Magic now appear determined to hold on to their center until at least the Feb. 26 All-Star Game. If they do not trade him before the March 15 trade deadline they will risk losing him as a free agent, which gives Smith an 18-day window to complete a deal. There are only a few scenarios for how this can play out:

They can go the Chris Paul route, in which Howard agrees to void his early termination option as part of a trade -- locking himself in with his new team for the 2012-13 season and delaying free agency for one year. This could help assuage the nervousness some teams (like the Lakers) are feeling about acquiring a short-term rental. Of course, Howard would not agree to this option unless he were prepared to spend an extra season with his new team.
                        They can do an extend-and-trade transaction, in which Howard signs an extension with the Magic that is contingent on a follow-up trade. The team would be one of Howard's choosing, since the extension is null and void if the trade to the specific team does not follow within 48 hours, and Howard would not sign the extension unless he was dealt to a team that met his approval.
                        However, the new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) significantly limits the value of extend-and-trade transactions -- Howard can receive only three years, and 4.5 percent raises. The three years includes the two years remaining on his current contract (2011-12 and 2012-13), which means Howard would add only one additional year to his contract -- through 2013-14.
                        Because of this limitation, an extend-and-trade is an unlikely scenario.

They can complete a trade without an extension, letting Howard extend later with his new team. But the new CBA prohibits extensions within six months of a trade if the extension gives the player more years or money than he could have received in an extend-and-trade. In other words, this scenario is now identical to the extend-and-trade scenario.
                        If a trade had been completed by Dec. 30 it would have left a small window to sign a larger extension before June 30, but even this would have been too limiting. Howard could have added only two new years with 4.5 percent raises -- so he still would have been better off by becoming a free agent this summer. Despite rumors to the contrary, Howard did not lose a significant amount of money when he was not traded by Dec. 30. This deadline only mattered if Howard was going to sign an extension.

Howard could leave the early-termination option in his contract unexercised, and play one additional year with the Magic before becoming a free agent. This would give Smith additional time to try to tweak the team into a contender before facing the loss of his franchise cornerstone, and would also pay Howard a higher salary ($19.5 million) than he could receive by re-signing as a free agent ($19.0 million). But Howard's trade request and continued criticism of his team makes this an unlikely scenario as well. It is now more likely than ever that Howard will become a free agent this summer, and Smith needs to make a trade to avoid the risk.
                        Howard must invoke his out clause by June 1 or within three days following his team's last game (including playoff games), whichever comes later. If his team is still playing on June 23, then he must inform the team of his intent by June 25. If this deadline passes and Howard has not exercised his out clause, he will be locked in through the 2012-13 season.

Howard can play out the season with the Magic, become a free agent and re-sign with the team for the long haul. This is similar to the previous option, except with a long-term commitment. The Magic obviously hope this is the option Howard chooses, and they also hope the team can have enough success this season to convince him to stay. But while the Magic's 11-4 start looked promising, the team lost four of five through Sunday to fall to 12-8. Most notably, Howard ripped his teammates for their lack of effort after a blowout loss to the New Orleans Hornets.
                        At best, Howard might give Smith another year to convince him of the team's direction -- and even that seems like a stretch. It's highly doubtful he'd make a multiyear leap of faith with the Magic.

Whether he remains with the Magic or has been traded to a new team, Howard can exercise his out clause, become a free agent this summer and sign with a different team. This scenario provides Howard with the greatest flexibility, as he could sign with any team that clears enough cap room to offer an acceptable contract -- with New Jersey and Dallas the leading candidates. However, his new contract will be limited to four years and 4.5 percent raises ($66.2 million total). This will be Howard's fallback option if the Magic do not trade him, or if they trade him somewhere he does not intend to stay.
                        Whether he remains with the Magic or has been traded to a new team, Howard can exercise his out clause, become a free agent this summer and work out a sign-and-trade deal with the Magic (or his new team) to be dealt to the team of his choice. If Smith does not make a trade by the March 15 deadline, this would be the only way to get some value in return for his departing All-Star. However, this scenario comes with a significant risk -- Howard only needs a sign-and-trade if his preferred destination doesn't have the cap room to sign him directly -- the Lakers, Clippers and Bulls would need a sign-and-trade, but the Nets and Mavs wouldn't. Why would Smith want to bank on the availability of a sign-and-trade when half the teams on Howard's A-list could cut out the middleman and deal with Howard directly?
                        Under the previous CBA, a free agent could get a better contract by participating in a sign-and-trade -- 10.5 percent raises instead of 8 percent, and six years instead of five. But under the new CBA, Howard can get a favorable contract only by re-signing with the team he ends the season with, so Howard has no reason to pursue a sign-and-trade unless his team of choice is capped out.

Finally, the Magic could trade Howard to a team that meets his approval on or before March 15. He would exercise his early-termination option in June, then re-sign with that team as a free agent. Since Howard's Bird rights are traded with him, he would be eligible for the largest possible contract, with five years and 7.5 percent raises ($89.1 million total).
                        This would be Howard's preferred option, since he gets both the team of his choice and the best possible contract. However, the team that acquires him would be assuming a significant risk -- once Howard becomes a free agent, his team cannot prevent him from signing elsewhere. A team like the Nets or Lakers would want assurances from Howard's people that he would re-sign before they commit significant assets to a trade. The Nets may have received this sort of assurance. The Lakers, Clippers and Bulls have not.

The most likely scenario, therefore, is that Howard will be in a Magic uniform for the Feb. 26 All-Star Game, but we will see him in a new uniform soon afterward. Howard's best option is to become a free agent this summer -- wherever he ends up -- so we can expect a certain amount of panic in his new team's front office in July as he contemplates his future -- deciding whether to re-sign or move on.
                        http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/74...ward-scenarios

In the end I agree with him, nothing happens until after February 26.

Comment

Imagine if Howard wanted to play in toronto. That would be sweet

Comment

Larry Coon gives basically every possible scenario regarding Dwight Howard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/74...ward-scenarios

In the end I agree with him, nothing happens until after February 26.
                            In reality likely even after March 1st since it opens up many more options with the free agent signings then available to be traded.

Comment

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-how...ng-his-way-to- nets

Hoopsworld claiming that Howard would not sign with the Lakers and would opt out and leave if traded to them. (his interest in the Lakers overstated since he would not want to follow in Shaq's footsteps). The last idiotic statement aside assuming DHoward truly can be his own man, this article, while potentially credible seems whacked out (to use a technical term): If Howard has zero intention of re-signing in LALALand, then why would he identify them as one of only 3 teams he would discuss being traded to?

Alas, it is an NBA star so logic shouldn't really come into it, but it has me a little stumped. In all it seems to me that Hoopsworld writing has taken a nose-dive in the last year into rag-territory. Or is it just me?

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                                http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-how...ng-his-way-to- nets

Hoopsworld claiming that Howard would not sign with the Lakers and would opt out and leave if traded to them. (his interest in the Lakers overstated since he would not want to follow in Shaq's footsteps). The last idiotic statement aside assuming DHoward truly can be his own man, this article, while potentially credible seems whacked out (to use a technical term): If Howard has zero intention of re-signing in LALALand, then why would he identify them as one of only 3 teams he would discuss being traded to?

Alas, it is an NBA star so logic shouldn't really come into it, but it has me a little stumped. In all it seems to me that Hoopsworld writing has taken a nose-dive in the last year into rag-territory. Or is it just me?

+1 - yet I can't figure out why I check it a few times a day.

Comment

Working...
                                X