This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR NBA Dynasty League - S3

But since we are in the big picture discussion mood, two thoughts of my own.

First is the absenteeism of some owners. Now I can understand that someone in jbml's position (loads of injuries, bottom of the standings) has hard reason to check as frequently as some of us do. But the fact that trade offers get zero responses from some owners is not acceptable to me. At the very least, every owner needs to ensure that their email address set for their team is a) one they check regularly and b) not filtering yahoo messages to the junk folder. You don't have to check RR every day, and some won't check yahoo every day, but I find it hard to believe that people don't check at least 1 personal email per day. If they at least do that, then they will see the offer, and perhaps become more engaged, but at least respond. This is doubly important for the non-RR frequenters who need the yahoo generated messages to see important notices from the commishes.

Second, a consideration I brought up last year but don't think made any dent in the discussion (except mcHappy, but he comments on everything). Overseas players draft rights as assets. If someone wishes to use their rookie draft pick on a rookie we know won't be coming over this season, they should own that players draft rights (thus becoming a tradable asset). The player would not count towards their cap total as they hadn't yet signed their rookie deal but would be noted the same way traded draft picks are on the cap sheet. Once the player arrives to the NBA (if in some cases) then the owner has to sign them within their cap space. If the owner has no cap space or simply wishes to not sign the player, the player would go into the auction/waiver pool (depending on when the player comes to NBA but I think most would be offseason decisions so auction).

Last year, Dario Saric would have been the player that this would have likely happened to if possible. Now he's a UFA but not worth the cap space, but if his rights were owned, that would add a nice option in the draft (especially for a team with multiple picks), plus another tradable asset for our league (a possibly good player in the future with no cap space sounds good to me).
    Last edited by Axel; Thu Jan 22, 2015, 07:15 AM.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      A second FWIW, I agree with mcHappy that the cap space is an asset in itself and realistically holds more value than waiver cash.
      I don't disagree with this per se - am simply pointing out that the NBA does not view it as such. Like I've said in previous discussions, I'm all for the system we've got. But if the discussion is going to be fidelity to the way the NBA works, this is an example of something they do not allow.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• That said, as far as I can tell, we have no such rule right now, so McHAPPY's trade is perfectly fine as is. These things probably ought to be like finding a mispriced item at Walmart - first guy gets it for the advertised price, and everyone else too until the price ticket gets changed.

Not that we necessarily change it anyway - point being that I would disagree with retroactively changing the deal to include cash.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote:
          Not at all in favour of this discussion.

Yet another example of changing or altering rules after the fact.
          But once again, this is a situation where I'm guessing most people had assumed this to be illegal.
          So its only prudent to have a discussion on whether it is.

As has been pointed, Cap Space is not an asset to be traded in and of itself. At least, it hasn't been.

So yes, it is an example of potential changes after the fact, as this was something that was unforeseen, and viewed as illegal by myself, and I'm sure others in the league.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote:
            The absentee owners are really bothering me. You can be shot and still be active. Look at the number of trades I've done this year. I've overhauled my roster, loaded up on draft picks, and am ready to come back next year better than ever (well, hopefully). Now I realize I go a bit overboard - I do that with most things I enjoy (which is why I'm five years sober - lol) - but if you can set your lineups you can reply to a trade request. If you don't have time or motivation to even click reject, that is a problem. Every trade request I get is like Christmas morning - and just like Xmas the gift is usually a disappointment, hahha.

I could argue Saric decision either way. I'd personally rather keep it way it is. Teams with 14 roster spaces could draft a foreign guy then go into the auction with just one space. Kudos to them but I like how the mirotic situation played out this year.
            The trade talk on Christmas morning with you, Joey and me might have signalled we all have a problem

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I agree with mcHappy and it's not just because I benefited from this deal. (In fact I turned down other similar deals)

Cap space is arguably one of biggest assets. Not having to eat cap years has an impact not only on trades, but free agents (both waiver and auction). Cash considerations in the NBA allows teams to manage their finances in the real world. Cap space does the same thing in ours. But again, I have no problem sending $10 from my waiver budget to mcHappy if it appeases the (mostly silent) masses.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote:
                Keep yo money!

I disagree with sending that money. We have already made changes to consequences of free agent money with subsequent waiver wire pick ups. What happens if you spend all of the $200 in free agency and waiver wire but you have cap space left? You are now losing the asset of cap space on top of waiver wire/free agent money due to previous changes.
                I don't follow here. Huh?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote:
                  Lets say you spend your $200 total combined on free agency and waiver wire but you have 6 years of cap space.

If I offer you, say, Tony Parker with the desire of obtaining 2 years of cap space but you have no waiver money left (or less than the minimum amount) that cap space loses quite a bit of value.

Cap space is an asset in this league.
                  Ah. Gotcha.

Along this same line of thinking (asset management in trades), I know there is no direct rule against, but was curious to see thoughts about trading future draft swap rights + draft pick protections. Since the draft is completely offline, it's all just a matter of tracking the info in the cap thread. So, say we are wavering on a deal, and then I offer you the right to swap picks (ala Denver/NY/Tor next year); is that something people are cool with?

What about protections and carrying those forward? I'll give my pick (top 4) protected this year, Top 6, then unprotected? I feel that this option especially might have swung an extra deal here or there (I have been reluctant to include my pick this year, cause I'm close enough either way that a solid injury - say Kevin Love's back, could easily net me a higher pick).

Comment

• Cap thread has been updated to reflect amnesty.

You will find it at the very bottom.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Cap thread has been updated to reflect amnesty.

You will find it at the very bottom.
                      Thank you Coach for Len

Weird that 4 of the 5 players' first name starts with "A".

Comment

• Forget it. I give up. Do whatever you want.

To anyone else who is not doing so well, feel free to throw away your season as well, as it will be a pretty heated battle for the Top Pick.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote:
                          Cap space is an asset in this league.
                          But again, its an asset in the NBA as well.. just not a tradable one.

But I don't care anymore. I guess I'm the only bothered by all of this blatant tanking, and carrying of 13 players, etc.

Not to mention that as I'm trying to clarify the legality of the move, which I believe is a fair exercise, my two co-commissioners just go and do the exact move I'm looking to discuss.
                          Last edited by Joey; Thu Jan 22, 2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Forget it. I give up. Do whatever you want.

To anyone else who is not doing so well, feel free to throw away your season as well, as it will be a pretty heated battle for the Top Pick.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote:
                              These type of knee-jerk reactions are just like the reactions based on initial thought processes of the Ibaka-Gobert trade. Check Gobert's stats the last 14 and 30 days. I knew I had to give up a lot to get get him. He was blowing up. He is now comfortably in the UNTOUCHABLE camp. If TJ Warren becomes the scorer I think he will once Gerald Green is run out of town, this trade should look pretty good next year.
                              There's nothing Knee-jerk at all about this .. you traded a player for nothing. But Cap Space. I wanted to discuss the legality of it. But apparently thats a no-no around here. So fuck it. I'm done. I'll just push trades through and shut my mouth. Do whatever you guys want.

Comment

• Amidst trade rumours involving the Raptors, just wanted to say that Miles Plumlee is available in a trade

Comment

Working...
                                X