X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy League S2 Draft

Joey wrote: View Post
    Being honest, I would prefer a bit more of a chance to speak about the team.. I think there is some middle ground to be had between what we had last year, and this year. But I'm not out yet!
    I would think the middle ground didn't include posting in here to try and sway a few voters.

No plan to change anything for the round robin at least. Choosing the right player matchups to write about in your limited opportunity is a big part of the game. Don't want to make this too easy.

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    So Joey uses up his 50 words, then he writes another post and tells everyone pretty much "i'll write more in the draft thread." Not sure that's legal, but smart haha.

I guess one should expect the guy who drafts Stockton and Bruce Bowen to play dirty!
    Ha! Truth. I expected more from Joey than directing people to his illegal posts.

C'mon guys, the point of minimizing what you can say on your own match is to prevent any hostile arguments and to make what you do say, much more strategic and impactful. Any more shenanigans and I'll start deducting word counts from people.
    Last edited by Axel; Wed Jul 13, 2016, 06:38 AM.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Second round robin matchups are set. I once again used a random generator until there were no rematches (Joey and Bobloblaw were like magnets!), so here are the next matches, including an all-mods battle royale.

Joey vs Apollo
      Axel vs Cody
      Bobloblaw vs Dogelover
      Mack11 vs Maury - brought to you by the letter "M"
      JimiCliff vs e_wheazy
      TTF vs 007

Gameplans are due by Monday morning.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I thought we were allowed to discuss in here...? I'm Confused now.
        Anyway my bad. Sorry guys.

Bob and You shouldn't be able to call my guys dirty in here then either. :P Lol

I also thought the adjustments had to be based on the gameplan, and not the other persons adjustments, no?
        Last edited by Joey; Wed Jul 13, 2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          I would think the middle ground didn't include posting in here to try and sway a few voters.
          Well actually, I do think it'd be kinda cool to be able to discuss/debate the merits of our team in here, if I'm being honest. Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            I thought we were allowed to discuss in here...? I'm Confused now.

I also thought the adjustments had to be based on the gameplan, and not the other persons adjustments, no?
            Joey wrote: View Post
            Well actually, I do think it'd be kinda cool to be able to discuss/debate the merits of our team in here, if I'm being honest. Lol
            Anything that is a comment trying to sway voters, outside of your GP and adjustment is circumventing the rules.

You can comment on other peoples teams as long as they aren't your current opponent. Point is to let others carry the discussion regarding your team/match.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              I thought we were allowed to discuss in here...? I'm Confused now.

Haha. Well, for what it's worth, I like dirty players so that's not an argument against a team.

I don't think there's such a rule re adjustments, but I might be wrong?

I remember last year we talked that adjustments might be sent to Axel and posted at the same time, but that would add even more work on Axel so I guess that's why we aren't doing it.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                Haha. Well, for what it's worth, I like dirty players so that's not an argument against a team.

I don't think there's such a rule re adjustments, but I might be wrong?

I remember last year we talked that adjustments might be sent to Axel and posted at the same time, but that would add even more work on Axel so I guess that's why we aren't doing it.
                As I recall there was also a strategic game in when you posted your adjustments. Some people don't wait to vote, so posting adjustments early could swing those early voters, while posting later lets you adjust to your opponent's adjustments, but may be too late to gain enough advantage from that. Interesting mind games, IMO.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• There's never been a rule about what the adjustments had to be about. You can use it to refute opponent claims, poke holes in their plan, adjust your plan to counter their plan, or talk about the weather if you are feeling confident.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    As I recall there was also a strategic game in when you posted your adjustments. Some people don't wait to vote, so posting adjustments early could swing those early voters, while posting later lets you adjust to your opponent's adjustments, but may be too late to gain enough advantage from that. Interesting mind games, IMO.
                    Yep that's true.

Comment

• Ax....

I' matching up AGAINST YOU & I have to submit my GP to you on this match. How do I know you won't read my GP & then create yours for this game?

Just asking.

Also, can we talk about our players in here? People don't realize how good Havlicek was. He's essentially the prototype Point Forward you see with James, Durant, Antetokounmpo & Simmons.

He also logged a ton of minutes (46,471 to be exact), won 2 titles 13 years apart with different rosters, & played in the NFL in a few preseason games for the Cleveland Browns in 1962 as a wide receiver.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                        Ax....

I' matching up AGAINST YOU & I have to submit my GP to you on this match. How do I know you won't read my GP & then create yours for this game?

Just asking.

Also, can we talk about our players in here? People don't realize how good Havlicek was. He's essentially the prototype Point Forward you see with James, Durant, Antetokounmpo & Simmons.

He also logged a ton of minutes (46,471 to be exact), won 2 titles 13 years apart with different rosters, & played in the NFL in a few preseason games for the Cleveland Browns in 1962 as a wide receiver.
                        I'm hoping Apollo will handle ours since neither of us can even post it in the mod thread placeholder. Joey is plan B.

You can't use this thread as a way to circumvent the word limits for your match. Since people seem to be struggling with that, I don't know how to define it any more than that except on a case by case basis.

If you spend the next few days building up Havlicek to try and sway voters to your side, and I only use my 150/50 words, is that a fair competition? Or do I need to make it a fair battle by pointing out that Havlicek, at just 6'5 203 (Rodney Stuckey size), is too small to battle larger modern players at the 3/4 point forward role?

Comment

• Yeah I'll do it. Flip it to me when it's ready and let me know when I need to do it.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Yeah I'll do it. Flip it to me when it's ready and let me know when I need to do it.
                            Every game should be going live on Monday. So whenever you get the the time on Monday and have both.

Comment

• In regards to the game plan limit:

This whole game is designed to win a vote. We're selling our team to the audience with very minimal narrative. So part of winning is creating a team or sending out a lineup that appeals to the audience, one that they can relate to and understand clearly.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the reason we saw a huge difference in how this draft unfolded compared to last year was that a lot of the people who played last year took note that the voters never responded as well to guys that played in the 60's and 70's. This is why we saw all time great guys like Wilt tumble this year. I think there's a stigma about the guys from the 60's because there's a common belief that the general level of talent, size and athleticism was not on par with the 80's, 90's and especially the modern generation. As great as some of these players were they weren't tested game in, game out like a Kevin Garnett or a Reggie Miller or a Steve Nash.

So long story short, if you have a great collection of old timers on your squad and only 150 words, you're not going to be able to as easily set the stage as someone who didn't build that way. To change the limit now mid contest is a balance changing move because some people took this factor into account when drafting. Just my two cents.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                In regards to the game plan limit:

This whole game is designed to win a vote. We're selling our team to the audience with very minimal narrative. So part of winning is creating a team or sending out a lineup that appeals to the audience, one that they can relate to and understand clearly.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the reason we saw a huge difference in how this draft unfolded compared to last year was that a lot of the people who played last year took note that the voters never responded as well to guys that played in the 60's and 70's. This is why we saw all time great guys like Wilt tumble this year. I think there's a stigma about the guys from the 60's because there's a common belief that the general level of talent, size and athleticism was not on par with the 80's, 90's and especially the modern generation. As great as some of these players were they weren't tested game in, game out like a Kevin Garnett or a Reggie Miller or a Steve Nash.

So long story short, if you have a great collection of old timers on your squad and only 150 words, you're not going to be able to as easily set the stage as someone who didn't build that way. To change the limit now mid contest is a balance changing move because some people took this factor into account when drafting. Just my two cents.
                                I agree wholeheartedly. We moved from 100 to 150 words because 100 was fairly arbitrary (10 sentences of 10 words was the thought) but after a closer look, was comfortable moving to 150 to allow for a bit more. Now that we've seen 150 in action, I think it is the right amount. I will consider changing it for the elimination round because then the stakes are higher and familiarity with each other's teams could make for some additional strategic insight.

But the word count limit was set before the draft for a specific reason and is the same reasons why we attempted the same last year. It's never been a "write as much as you can but you may have to hide it in another thread" exercise. I could easily write 5,000 words on the greatness of my team but I doubt voters want to read that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X