Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of the polls are closed now but BobLoblaw and Maury are still open and currently tied at, just, 2-2.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• So couple of things, we can proceed with to the elimination round with an 8 team knockout; top seed determined by Bob vs Maury match ending in a couple of hours. There will be a couple of tie breakers to sort final seeding but completely doable.

The much bigger issue is two-fold, voting and comments are still very low.

e_wheazy and Apollo had an "over the limit" exchange which begs the question, should we modify the rules for the elimination round. Full free for all? Limit by number of posts? Limit by words per post but allow multiple posts?

The original intent of preventing the back and forth was for two main reasons; I didn't want someone who posts a ton (like myself) to have an advantage over someone who doesn't get online as much (like Joey since his work blocked the site). The second reason was I didn't want people to get into heated debates in the matches, so leaving the discussion to people without incentive would help keep things friendly. Unfortunately, people aren't commenting on each other's matches very much.

So with just a few matches left, any comment or feedback would be appreciated. Clearly things aren't going as well as I hoped (or as well as last year). Personally, I think that if everyone took the time to comment on each other's matches twice (and not just "interesting, will wait for adjustments") then we'd be fine (also vote people, matches shouldn't be ending 3-2 when we have 10 active participants); but clearly that isn't happening right now so I'm open to any and all suggestions. The alternative is to simply shut it down and declare the top seed as the champion.

I would like a decision, either way, to be made on Sunday, so that we can either proceed with the next round or not. Thanks

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Well, i think those were good reasons for limiting posts. I see the dilemma but I don't know. Neither option seems great.

Last year this was new, plus there were fewer rounds and so we could scatter matchups a little bit more, rather than have 5-6 at once.

Personally I'm a bit tired of it too right now. I loved drafting, I enjoyed preparing for the first couple matchups. But now I'm tired of looking at my team and don't care if I win, and only enjoyed looking at other people's matchups over the last couple weeks. (I know I annoy people writing about their teams, sorry.)

But I'm sticking around regardless of what's decided, of course.
        Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Aug 6, 2016, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          So couple of things, we can proceed with to the elimination round with an 8 team knockout; top seed determined by Bob vs Maury match ending in a couple of hours. There will be a couple of tie breakers to sort final seeding but completely doable.

e_wheazy and Apollo had an "over the limit" exchange which begs the question, should we modify the rules for the elimination round. Full free for all? Limit by number of posts? Limit by words per post but allow multiple posts?

The original intent of preventing the back and forth was for two main reasons; I didn't want someone who posts a ton (like myself) to have an advantage over someone who doesn't get online as much (like Joey since his work blocked the site). The second reason was I didn't want people to get into heated debates in the matches, so leaving the discussion to people without incentive would help keep things friendly. Unfortunately, people aren't commenting on each other's matches very much.

So with just a few matches left, any comment or feedback would be appreciated. Clearly things aren't going as well as I hoped (or as well as last year). Personally, I think that if everyone took the time to comment on each other's matches twice (and not just "interesting, will wait for adjustments") then we'd be fine (also vote people, matches shouldn't be ending 3-2 when we have 10 active participants); but clearly that isn't happening right now so I'm open to any and all suggestions. The alternative is to simply shut it down and declare the top seed as the champion.

I would like a decision, either way, to be made on Sunday, so that we can either proceed with the next round or not. Thanks
          Definitely don't shut it down!

Personally, I think we should stick with the 150 word gameplan, and then maybe expand the adjustment to 100-150 words.

Also, I think that team owners should be able to respond DIRECTLY to SPECIFIC comments made about their team/gameplan by other commenters in the game thread (and these responses would be limited to something like 100 words).
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            So couple of things, we can proceed with to the elimination round with an 8 team knockout; top seed determined by Bob vs Maury match ending in a couple of hours. There will be a couple of tie breakers to sort final seeding but completely doable.

I didn't want to go over the limit. I felt I had to with EW going over the limit and making a false accusation on where the numbers I used came from; kind of a death blow if it were true. I like the current format personally. I'm on team minimal effort.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              . (I know I annoy people writing about their teams, sorry.)
              Your comments are great. Even when I disagree I really like them.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                Definitely don't shut it down!

Personally, I think we should stick with the 150 word gameplan, and then maybe expand the adjustment to 100-150 words.

Also, I think that team owners should be able to respond DIRECTLY to SPECIFIC comments made about their team/gameplan by other commenters in the game thread (and these responses would be limited to something like 100 words).
                I do think this may be the best way to go. Perhaps the middle ground is to simply say that you can't respond directly to each other? Thoughts?

Comment

• Yep, if i have to vote on it, I'd vote to go into playoffs and keep word limits.

Also, I think you should go into playoffs with everyone, all 10 players, just have a play-in round for lower seeds. That way higher seeds (like me) would get a week off from writing gameplans, which I'd like!
                  Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Aug 6, 2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• So you're saying a wild card round?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      So you're saying a wild card round?
                      yep, like in MLS playoffs.

Comment

Yep, if i have to vote on it, I'd vote to go into playoffs and keep word limits.

Also, I think you should go into playoffs with everyone, have a play-in round for lower seeds. That way higher seeds (like me) would get a week off from writing gameplans, which I'd like!
                        Not sure how feasible that would be. We currently have a 3 way tie for 8th which would need to be settled by random draw as a 3 team tie break is too hard to schedule in imo. I guess we could simply let them have a 3 way match where GP is less opponent specific and more "promote your team" and voters choose a single winner?

Seeds 2-5 are all tied at 3-1.

Comment

yep, like in MLS playoffs.
                          I'm not familiar with their set up, can you explain how it could work for us?

We currently have a clear top seed, 2-5 all tied, 6-7 tied, then 8-9-10 tied.

Comment

• 9-10 would have to play 7-8 in a play-in round, then we are down to 8 teams. (7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9)

It's not original setup, I think one of the other main major leagues has something similar, just don't remember which one, maybe NFL? I only follow NBA and MLS.

But yep, with so many ties, I see the problem.

Did 6-7 play each other? If they did, I guess it could be a tiebreaker to rank one of them higher.
                            Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Aug 6, 2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Also: I think team owner's should have an avenue to respond directly to comments by their opponent that are DEMONSTRABLY false, and that those responses shouldn't be part of their total word count.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

9-10 would have to play 7-8 in a play-in round, then we are down to 8 teams.

It's not original setup, I think one of the other main major leagues has something similar, just don't remember which one, maybe NFL? I only follow NBA and MLS.

But yep, with so many ties, I see the problem.

Did 6-7 play each other? If they did, I guess it could be a tiebreaker to rank one of them higher.
                                They did not.

Any opinions on the 3 way match where voters pick a single winner?

Comment

Working...
                                X