This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    In the regular season you can bid up to your maximum FAAB balance which is the remainder of what's left after the FA auction. Your FAAB budget is $200 to start.

The 40 year cap determines how long you can keep the player, not whether you can acquire the player unless you're capped with a full roster heading into the FA auction and that's when the player is acquired by someone.
    thanks. axel gave the answer i needed. i was wondering what happens if i end the auction at 15 players and a cap of 40. if i drop a guy instantly after the auction how long i would have to wait to add a free agent. sounds like i would still have to wait for 1 waiver period to pass by and then drop/sign the un-bought free agent.

does this apply though? couldn't any player that someone wanted be bought at auction? seems like a cheap loophole though.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      thanks. axel gave the answer i needed. i was wondering what happens if i end the auction at 15 players and a cap of 40. if i drop a guy instantly after the auction how long i would have to wait to add a free agent. sounds like i would still have to wait for 1 waiver period to pass by and then drop/sign the un-bought free agent.

does this apply though? couldn't any player that someone wanted be bought at auction? seems like a cheap loophole though.
      I don't see the loophole.

You also have to factor in that once the auction ends, there is a time frame to claim your years; so if there is a player you want, you should be able to have cap space.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

In the regular season you can bid up to your maximum FAAB balance which is the remainder of what's left after the FA auction. Your FAAB budget is $200 to start.

The 40 year cap determines how long you can keep the player, not whether you can acquire the player unless you're capped with a full roster heading into the FA auction and that's when the player is acquired by someone.
        In season, if you are capped, you can't bid on the first waiver period for a player even if you have FAAB funds. You have to have enough cap room to absorb their existing contract on the first waiver period. Second waiver period you can bid even if over the cap or with too little cap to absorb their cap hit, since their cap hit will sit on their old team's roster and you assign your own years.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          In season, if you are capped, you can't bid on the first waiver period for a player even if you have FAAB funds. You have to have enough cap room to absorb their existing contract on the first waiver period. Second waiver period you can bid even if over the cap or with too little cap to absorb their cap hit, since their cap hit will sit on their old team's roster and you assign your own years.
          That's news to me but then again I've never hit that part of the season capped.

I guess Joey is watching that manually.

Comment

That's news to me but then again I've never hit that part of the season capped.

I guess Joey is watching that manually.
            We overturned a couple of transactions for this last year. You need the cap space to absorb the existing cap hit on a player's first go on waivers. After that, they are free agents and able to sign "for the minimum".

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              After the auction, there's no way to add a player until the season begins, so by the time you can add that player, normal over 40 rules would apply.
              Yahoo Waivers are open directly after the draft I believe actually, no? But we generally hold the draft a couple days before the season, so it's all the same thing really.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                Yahoo Waivers are open directly after the draft I believe actually, no? But we generally hold the draft a couple days before the season, so it's all the same thing really.
                True. We've usually allowed the first couple of days as a free for all for people who were stuck on auto-draft, perhaps in that scenario (cause no one has ever been at 40 immediately post auction that I recall) that owner would be locked from free agents until after the first waivers (either officially on Yahoo or unofficial but enforceable).

But again, since post auction cap years aren't due for a few days, the likelihood of this scenario seems very low.

Comment

True. We've usually allowed the first couple of days as a free for all for people who were stuck on auto-draft, perhaps in that scenario (cause no one has ever been at 40 immediately post auction that I recall) that owner would be locked from free agents until after the first waivers (either officially on Yahoo or unofficial but enforceable).

But again, since post auction cap years aren't due for a few days, the likelihood of this scenario seems very low.
                  Great point. Anyone capped out POST Auction, would essentially have to be capped out PRE auction too, with the cap holds on their free spots.

Comment

Great point. Anyone capped out POST Auction, would essentially have to be capped out PRE auction too, with the cap holds on their free spots.
                    Yup, so if we see the possibility before the draft, it wouldn't be hard for us to lock that team up for a few days in Yahoo; if necessary. While the honour system generally works, an honest mistake could have more impact during that post-auction chaos where more moves happen in a flurry.... mmmm...mcflurry. But if we see that someone is in that situation, a simply PM should suffice.

Comment

can we assume it will be a 100% likelihood and hash this out please. if drop/add is available immediately after auction what would be the first waiver wire period?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        can we assume it will be a 100% likelihood and hash this out please. if drop/add is available immediately after auction what would be the first waiver wire period?
                        Waiver periods happen every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday I believe. So which ever of those happens first?

Other than that, I'm not sure what hasn't been hashed out? Post auction, the same rules apply as throughout the whole year. If a player is dropped, his contract is up for grabs throughout the first waiver period to those who can absorb it. If he doesn't have a prior contract, then he's fair game, but only for a 1 year, non-extendable deal to those that are capped.

Comment

Waiver periods happen every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday I believe. So which ever of those happens first?

Other than that, I'm not sure what hasn't been hashed out? Post auction, the same rules apply as throughout the whole year. If a player is dropped, his contract is up for grabs throughout the first waiver period to those who can absorb it. If he doesn't have a prior contract, then he's fair game, but only for a 1 year, non-extendable deal to those that are capped.
                          so our auction is sunday. wednesday would be after the first waiver period. thanks

Comment

Now technically, post auction wouldn't ALL non-drafted players go through an initial waiver period - just with 1 year cap hits?

I would think the simplest ruling would be to simply say that any capped out team is ineligible for free agents until after the first waiver.

Comment

When a contract is absorbed by another team, does that contract come off the books of the former?
                              Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jun 16, 2017, 06:47 AM. Reason: .

Comment

When a contract is absorbed by another team, does that contract come off the books of the former?
                                yes

Comment

Working...
                                X