The World Soccer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 007 wrote: View Post
    Gold Cup is just about to start! I'm hoping Canada can advance but they've got Costa Rica, Jamaica and El Salvador in their group, so I don't know.
    I think we have a decent chance to do well and qualify!

Comment

• Giovinco is crazy. He scored a hat-trick in 9 minutes against the NYC. Jeez.

Comment

• Coca-Cola now starting to put pressure on FIFA.. great sign, considering they're the first major sponsor to actually say anything I'm pretty sure.

BBC.com wrote:
        Fifa sponsor Coca-Cola has told world football's governing body that it wants an independent third-party commission to oversee reform of the crisis-hit organisation, the BBC has learned.

It wants the commission to be overseen by what it described as "one or more eminent impartial leaders to manage the efforts necessary to help reform Fifa's governance and its human rights requirements".

In correspondence obtained by the BBC, Coca-Cola says: "We believe that establishing this independent commission will be the most credible way for Fifa to approach its reform process and is necessary to build back the trust it has lost.

"We are calling for this approach out of our deep commitment to ethics and human rights and in the interest of seeing Fifa succeed."

Source
        As a Coke drinker, this makes me feel less guilty for supporting them. Haha

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          Coca-Cola now starting to put pressure on FIFA.. great sign, considering they're the first major sponsor to actually say anything I'm pretty sure.

As a Coke drinker, this makes me feel less guilty for supporting them. Haha
          UK's experts advised government to restrict sugar intake to 30g a day (7 teaspoons) today..

Comment

• The World Soccer Thread

Ugh, you too? Haha I actually drink Sprite these days, but it's not much better in terms of sugar. But I actually think it tastes way better than Coke.

But really, if they're saying people shouldn't even have ONE can of Coke even, that's pretty extreme. I had a shit ton of candy and pop as a kid and I turned out fine!... Kind of kidding. Haha
            Last edited by Joey; Fri Jul 17, 2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Ugh, you too? Haha I actually drink Sprite these days, but it's not much better in terms of sugar. But I actually think it tastes way better than Coke.
              I don't know man. I was ( well, I'm on my 5th day of 'Cold Turkey on Sugar' mission.. ) heavy Coke drinker for couple years. Like really heavy - 1.75L bottle per day.. so every other soda tastes like bleep to me.

Comment

• I don't feel as guilty about how much candy and chocolate I eat as I don't drink any soda (can't stand carbonation for whatever reason).

I do eat A TON of junk food though, might need to cut back on it a little :P
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• new presidential election will be held on 26 February..

Comment

• Football is in safe hands. Yup.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Football is in safe hands. Yup.

SEOUL, South Korea -- Former FIFA vice president Chung Mong-joon plans to officially announce his candidacy for president of soccer's world governing body during a visit to Europe next month.

FIFA has settled on Feb. 26 as the date for an election to replace long-serving president Sepp Blatter. In an earlier interview, Chung said that a non-European leader would help breathe "new wind'' into FIFA.

Chung told reporters before flying out of Seoul on Thursday that he believes FIFA became more corrupt after he lost his job as vice president in 2011.

"It won't be easy, but I think it would be worth it, and there could be good results if I try hard enough,'' Chung said about his potential candidacy.

"I plan to officially announce my candidacy in mid-August, and if possible, in Europe, the center of world soccer.''

Chung, who was a key figure in helping South Korea land the right to co-host the 2002 World Cup, was a FIFA vice president for 17 years and was once considered a candidate to succeed Blatter before losing his seat in 2011.

The billionaire scion of the Hyundai business group has also been a South Korean lawmaker and presidential candidate.

The Feb. 26 date agreed by FIFA's executive committee on Monday was a political victory for Blatter over European governing body UEFA and its supporters in other continents who wanted a December ballot.

UEFA president Michel Platini, Brazil great Zico and Liberia federation president Musa Bility are among the other likely contenders to run for the FIFA presidency.
                      The bold made me chuckle - "became MORE corrupt". At least he didn't try to say it wasn't corrupt before he left.

In other news, Uruguay beats Mexico and wins Gold at the Pan-Am Men's Final.

Comment

• Russia's Putin says Sepp Blatter deserves a Nobel Prize. He genuinely endorsed Sepp Blatter for Noble Prize. Yup.

Comment

Russia's Putin says Sepp Blatter deserves a Nobel Prize. He genuinely endorsed Sepp Blatter for Noble Prize. Yup.
                          lol what a joke.

Comment

• Whenever I see another crazy FIFA story I check to see if John Oliver covered it.

Comment

• Messi headbutts Yanga-Mbiwa in friendly clash.

https://vine.co/v/eHluKuuLYju

Comment

Messi headbutts Yanga-Mbiwa in friendly clash.

https://vine.co/v/eHluKuuLYju
                                That was the weakest headbutt I've ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X