• Acquiring Jeff Green

How about this:

Toronto gets:
    Jeff Green

Boston gets:
    Landry Fields expiring
    Bebe Nogueira
    Toronto's 2016 1st round pick
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

No
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

No trades no trades no trades

Comment

OK, so here's my logic:

This might actually be the year to go for it. This may be the only year in the next 5 where Cleveland doesn't dominate the Eastern Conference (if Lebron stays healthy and elite). But the Raps aren't good enough yet. They may only be a piece away, though.

Is Jeff Green that piece? I'm skeptical. It may mess with team chemistry like getting Evan Turner did for the Pacers last year. But he seems to be the best piece available at the moment. If it works, it may be the piece that gets the Raptors into the finals and gets them close enough to have a shot against the more talented Western Conference team in a 7 game series.

I don't know, I would like someone better. But we can get him without giving up any significant pieces from this year's team, a draft pick that's probably in the 20s and Bebe who's still a complete unknown, it may be worth it as a go-for-it move. It could also be very regrettable.

Just saying no trades right now means you think this team is good enough. It's not.

Comment

And where does Jeff Green fit in the wing rotation in this deal? Barely enough minutes for Ross, DeMar, James and Lou....

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
            OK, so here's my logic:
            Just saying no trades right now means you think this team is good enough. It's not.
            Oh it's not? Let this group a chance. JV and Ross will evolve during the course of the season.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              And where does Jeff Green fit in the wing rotation in this deal? Barely enough minutes for Ross, DeMar, James and Lou....
              True, and I wish there was a good power forward available.

Here's my thought:
              - You start Lowry, Derozan, Green, Patterson and Val.
              - You remove Hansbrough from the rotation and use Amir as your backup 5. He's good enough to start, but reducing the minutes on his ankles would be nice.
              - You have a small bench, with Vazquez, Williams, Ross, JJ and Amir. You use JJ primarily as a 4, giving him about the same minutes you have now
              - Green's minutes come from completely eliminating Hansbrough and reducing Ross's minutes (not ideal, but this trade would put us in go-for-it mode, not give-young-guys-minutes mode).

The questions are:
              a) Does this really make us better?
              b) Does this make us better enough that it's worth sacrificing Bebe and a mid-20s 1st rounder?

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                True, and I wish there was a good power forward available.

Here's my thought:
                - You start Lowry, Derozan, Green, Patterson and Val.
                - You remove Hansbrough from the rotation and use Amir as your backup 5. He's good enough to start, but reducing the minutes on his ankles would be nice.
                - You have a small bench, with Vazquez, Williams, Ross, JJ and Amir. You use JJ primarily as a 4, giving him about the same minutes you have now
                - Green's minutes come from completely eliminating Hansbrough and reducing Ross's minutes (not ideal, but this trade would put us in go-for-it mode, not give-young-guys-minutes mode).

The questions are:
                a) Does this really make us better?
                b) Does this make us better enough that it's worth sacrificing Bebe and a mid-20s 1st rounder?
                I'd say no to those questions. I like Green, and have even suggested myself (in the summer) that he could be a real option to upgrade the SF spot this season if needed...but so far it doesn't really seem needed, and he's not a clear enough upgrade on what we have at the moment. It's not like Green's a stud. He's just a decent player. And while he does give us better size at SF, it's not like he's a lockdown defender anyway, and we lose speed at the spot compared to Ross.

Comment

I don't necessarily disagree, and it's probably not something I would do right this moment. But if it starts to look like Ross isn't going to cut it as a starter on a contending team, then if Boston is OK with the return I'd pull the trigger.

Comment

Ross runs down the court and misses the layup , Ross races down the court and turns over the ball to Fournier , 1-scenario.

Comment

Working...
                    X