The Whisky thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joey wrote: View Post
    Fantastic idea ceez .. recently I've actually discovered the joys of Japanese Whisky.

Yamazaki 18 - frigging fantastic whisky.

Oops I missed it. So where did you get it (lcbo does not carry any of the line) and what is/was the cost? And was it smoky/oaky? I like that.
    Last edited by Bendit; Wed Nov 18, 2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      Oops I missed it. So where did you get it (lcbo does not carry any of the line) and what is/was the cost? And was it smoky/oaky? I like that.
      Cousin of mine who lives in NYC had a bottle. Not sure how he got the bottle, but he's part of a Whiskey Tasting Club, so I imagine they maybe have connections?

The stuff is so beautifully smoky .. and I like the very strong smoke of a Laphroaig, but the Smoke of Yamazaki is very subtle, but noticeable. Hard to describe. Its different than an Islay or Speyside smoke that's for sure.. the Peat just isn't there as much.

Another Japanese Whiskey I'd recommend is the Hakushu. Made by Suntori as well, but a little easier to come by, but we do generally get the short end of the stick when it comes to Malt Selection here in Canada.

The Japanese brands are easy to come by basically anywhere outside of Canada. Lol

Comment

Got this one for my bday from my inlaws. Never heard of it until then and for a moderately priced whiskey, its actually pretty good. Very smooth.

Comment

I've also going tyo pick this up but keep forgetting

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/dry...3#.Vkzd1mgo5Ds

Wheat Whiskey supposedly extremely smooth

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            I could pee in a cup and be accused of ripping off Labbats. LOL

Johnny Walker Blue is basically the highest end of their Whiskeys (Blends). Like over $200 a bottle, and its still a big MEH.
            Was only kidding lol forgot to pink font that shit!

Yea, I've tried it... not a huge fan of the hard stuff. Only a couple times a year really. As rocwell said, I stick to beer and vodka.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              Was only kidding lol forgot to pink font that shit!

Yea, I've tried it... not a huge fan of the hard stuff. Only a couple times a year really. As rocwell said, I stick to beer and vodka.
              Chug beer, sip Whiskey and review security tapes to see what happened to the tequila or vodka. i also like rum - i think

Comment

Just ordered a bottle of Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel. Hot diggitty! Bulk of the reviews I've seen say it's better than Pappy 23. Sweet addition to the collection I can't wait to try it.
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

johnny walker (any colour) is garbage

don't mean to insult your taste... but yeah. garbage.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Its The Budweiser of Whiskey. Its fine for everyday drinking and breakfast. JW Red is pretty much a standard

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Haven't tasted the Blue but I wasnt about to spend the bucks to find out after the others. Of the reg brands J&B has been my preference most often.

Comment

Haven't tasted the Blue but I wasnt about to spend the bucks to find out after the others. Of the reg brands J&B has been my preference most often.
                        It's like wine, it comes down to your preference in taste. Plus, somehow the more expensive something is the more you convince yourself you actually like it. (Unless you're not the one that pic for it lol).

I liked it for the $160 I paid, but it's not worth the $300+ it costs in Ontario.
                        Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                          It's like wine, it comes down to your preference in taste. Plus, somehow the more expensive something is the more you convince yourself you actually like it. (Unless you're not the one that pic for it lol).

I liked it for the $160 I paid, but it's not worth the $300+ it costs in Ontario.
                          Is the diff that much...cost between ON & AL? Must be some serious movement between the provs. for resell?

Comment

Is the diff that much...cost between ON & AL? Must be some serious movement between the provs. for resell?
                            Alberta doesnt have an LCBO type board controlling prices

Comment

It's outrageous the difference. In Alberta you can actually shop around and find the best deals for bottles, stupid Ontario.
                              Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                                It's outrageous the difference. In Alberta you can actually shop around and find the best deals for bottles, stupid Ontario.
                                Would just like Spirits to be sold at Costco. Kirkland whiskey is pretty good

Comment

Working...
                                X