No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planet into base. atmosphere outside with weather patterns. would have had to build that thing long before the empire was defeated to have all that shit grow and evolve.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      planet into base. atmosphere outside with weather patterns. would have had to build that thing long before the empire was defeated to have all that shit grow and evolve.
      Ya figured ... so wouldn't hollowing out a planet maybe kill all of that..? Haha

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        Ya figured ... so wouldn't hollowing out a planet maybe kill all of that..? Haha
        yes. so we are left with an even smaller space for them to squeeze the mass of a sun into. the weapon was the worst the part of the movie, in my opinion. i didn't think it was needed or their military might could have been showed later. the show of force from the order wasn't needed because we hadn't seen the rebels win and we knew they had the power of the dark side.

after the fall of the empire and skywalker going into hiding the two sides would have both had no jedi/sith and the empire would still have most of the galaxys' resources. still making it a huge player and then while they fight each other the order could grow on the fringes and its' affinity with the force could have made it the dominant power. which is something everyone could understand with luke being hidden and the quick mention of kylo killing all his students and creating the knights of ren.

rebels win one here and following along episode 5 the bad guys then show how strong they are with militaristic force. i think a 2 pronged attack taking the remains of the empire and the rebels at the same time sends a stronger message.

except for the one bombing, that came out of nowhere, the story was one of a small group in a vast world and it seemed they tried to make it a galactic power struggle when this one story didn't need that.

Comment

• Not to say it wasn't a great movie. Because it was. Lol But ya, I think Abbrams tried a little too hard to stick to "the formula".

Comment

• Saw Hateful 8 this weekend. Really wish I could have seen it in 70mm as there are some minor issues I noticed with things like the sound, etc., but that wasn't an option in Calgary. I knew nothing about the movie and it wasn't really what I expected at all as the entire movie (well 95% of it) takes place in a cabin! First two hours are really, really good but I wasn't crazy about the second act. Like most of his movies, the plot is somewhat lacking and the characters are mostly completely unlikable and there is way, way too much violence but if you're a Tarantino fan or a fan of movie-making generally you should check it out.

But I would highly recommend seeing it in 70mm if you can.

Comment

• Trying to stay away from Star Wars spoilers.. difficult but been successful so far. Planning on seeing it next weekend.

Anyway.. I'm probably late to the party on this but caught American Sniper last night (I prefer watching movies at home then in theatres).

Really good movie. Eastwood directed it. Bradley Cooper was phenomenal. If you haven't seen it, I totally recommend it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Trying to stay away from Star Wars spoilers.. difficult but been successful so far. Planning on seeing it next weekend.

Anyway.. I'm probably late to the party on this but caught American Sniper last night (I prefer watching movies at home then in theatres).

Really good movie. Eastwood directed it. Bradley Cooper was phenomenal. If you haven't seen it, I totally recommend it.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Saw Hateful 8 this weekend. Really wish I could have seen it in 70mm as there are some minor issues I noticed with things like the sound, etc., but that wasn't an option in Calgary. I knew nothing about the movie and it wasn't really what I expected at all as the entire movie (well 95% of it) takes place in a cabin! First two hours are really, really good but I wasn't crazy about the second act. Like most of his movies, the plot is somewhat lacking and the characters are mostly completely unlikable and there is way, way too much violence but if you're a Tarantino fan or a fan of movie-making generally you should check it out.

At least T spread his mayhem thru the movie rather than have one large, overthetop orgy of it... which for myself would detract from the movie itself (eg. Basterds & DJango).

...Revenant is another movie best seen on the big screen.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    Saw Hateful 8 this weekend. Really wish I could have seen it in 70mm as there are some minor issues I noticed with things like the sound, etc., but that wasn't an option in Calgary. I knew nothing about the movie and it wasn't really what I expected at all as the entire movie (well 95% of it) takes place in a cabin! First two hours are really, really good but I wasn't crazy about the second act. Like most of his movies, the plot is somewhat lacking and the characters are mostly completely unlikable and there is way, way too much violence but if you're a Tarantino fan or a fan of movie-making generally you should check it out.

Yeah, 70 mm would have been preferable over my downloaded screener, still really enjoyed the smaller scale and the movie in general though.

Comment

• Hmmm... hard not to like this trailer .. Lol

Exactly like I'd hoped it would be .. not actually all that dark, and really quite a lot of fun, and it seems to embrace that. Looks like it doesn't take itself too seriously .. and with the Joker looking as awesome as he does, I guess that's required.
                      Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 20, 2016, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• http://www.popsugar.com/entertainmen...-Wars-39813938

this guy went above and beyond to find rey's parents

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          http://www.popsugar.com/entertainmen...-Wars-39813938

this guy went above and beyond to find rey's parents
                          Orrrrr, John Williams just got lazy and re-used old material....

Comment

• Saw The Big Short the other night. Decent flick.

Not something that needs to be seen on the big screen though.

But really liked Steve Carell in a dramatic role.

Comment

• Watched a great documentary called Trophy Kids about these parents who are pushing their kids to be professional athletes. Highly recommended. Highly entertaining and infuriating by turns. But it's interesting to listen to the parents and how much they love their kids and how they think they are actually bad parents if they don't act like they are. Really fascinating.

Comment

• Eva Green or Emily Blunt, which Brit would you take to bed for a night?

Comment

Working...
                                X