The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I once used this same reasoning to get excited about the new Robocop....

Hah I knew that'd be a flop from day-1; but Robocop doesn't have Ryan Gosling and a still ruggedly handsome Harrison Ford. Or Denis Villeneuve directing for that matter! Have faith!

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      As did this:
      i am still super excited about justice league, but i think they might be trying too hard with aquaman. they seem to be trying to make the lamest hero cool, so they can stuff his movie down our throats. i will watch his movie anyway because i like superhero movies, but i think it is going to lower the bar of the justice league at the moment.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        Hah I knew that'd be a flop from day-1; but Robocop doesn't have Ryan Gosling and a still ruggedly handsome Harrison Ford. Or Denis Villeneuve directing for that matter! Have faith!
        I'll see anything Villeneuve does, as fast as I can. One of the best filmmakers on the planet right now.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I'll see anything Villeneuve does, as fast as I can. One of the best filmmakers on the planet right now.
          Couldn't agree more. And I'm yet to see Sicario! *I know, I know, I'm getting to it!*

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            i am still super excited about justice league, but i think they might be trying too hard with aquaman. they seem to be trying to make the lamest hero cool, so they can stuff his movie down our throats. i will watch his movie anyway because i like superhero movies, but i think it is going to lower the bar of the justice league at the moment.
            But, but he DOES look super cool in this. Haha But ya, I see what you mean. We'll have to wait and see. Really like what they've done with Ezra's Barry Allen from the trailers. Cyborg was always going to be the real lame one. Lol

Comment

• The Movie Thread

Just watched Blade Runner 2049 again and I loved it. It’s in the running for one of my all time favourites.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                Just watched Blade Runner 2049 again and I loved it. It’s in the running for one of my all time favourites.
                Saw it last night, having never seen the original (but I did read the wiki plot summary!). Definitely agree. One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen in a long while.

Comment

Saw it last night, having never seen the original (but I did read the wiki plot summary!). Definitely agree. One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen in a long while.
                  When you saw the first movie for the first time was it the director's cut or the original cut? Apparently I've only seen the director's cut and man was it boring. Not sure if I have the patience to try again but most are telling me to watch the original cut.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    When you saw the first movie for the first time was it the director's cut or the original cut? Apparently I've only seen the director's cut and man was it boring. Not sure if I have the patience to try again but most are telling me to watch the original cut.
                    I watched the final cut which was the third cut, definitely worth a watch as it was what Ridley Scott ultimately wanted for the movie and he had free reign over this cut. I wouldn’t fault you for thinking it s a boring movie, it’s definitely got some pacing issues. The reason why I wasn’t bored was because it was so inquisitive of thought provoking questions that I was engaged the whole time. It also looked incredible and as someone who is an admirer of film, that does it for me. The new one is definitely faster paced, but you kind of need to watch the original I really appreciate it and get it. I saw the movie with my brother who hadn’t seen the original and he didn’t like it while I thought it was incredible.

Also, I saw it in 3D in the second time which was a big mistake. The colours were distorted and the 3D was invasive and distracting especially for a film shot so beautifully by Roger Deakins.

Comment

I’m glad you liked it. People need to go see movies like this or they won’t get made often enough.

Comment

I watched the final cut which was the third cut, definitely worth a watch as it was what Ridley Scott ultimately wanted for the movie and he had free reign over this cut. I wouldn’t fault you for thinking it s a boring movie, it’s definitely got some pacing issues. The reason why I wasn’t bored was because it was so inquisitive of thought provoking questions that I was engaged the whole time. It also looked incredible and as someone who is an admirer of film, that does it for me. The new one is definitely faster paced, but you kind of need to watch the original I really appreciate it and get it. I saw the movie with my brother who hadn’t seen the original and he didn’t like it while I thought it was incredible.

Also, I saw it in 3D in the second time which was a big mistake. The colours were distorted and the 3D was invasive and distracting especially for a film shot so beautifully by Roger Deakins.
                        Yeah it was visually pleasing.. but so was Kubrik's Space Odyssey and that was boring as well. I guess I'm less into the art and more into the substance when it comes to a movie.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Yeah it was visually pleasing.. but so was Kubrik's Space Odyssey and that was boring as well. I guess I'm less into the art and more into the substance when it comes to a movie.
                          I actually agree with you when it comes to most old movies. Space odyssey is boring, citizen Kane is the most boring movie I have ever seen, etc. I don’t really get the fascination with old movies that are considered “classics” because ultimately they’re really boring and the whole point of a film is to entertain right? That being said I didn’t find blade runner too slow, albeit the 2nd act was quite slow.

Comment

I actually agree with you when it comes to most old movies. Space odyssey is boring, citizen Kane is the most boring movie I have ever seen, etc. I don’t really get the fascination with old movies that are considered “classics” because ultimately they’re really boring and the whole point of a film is to entertain right? That being said I didn’t find blade runner too slow, albeit the 2nd act was quite slow.
                            Funny enough, I know people who recently watched Star Wars (original trilogy) for the first time, and thought they were incredibly boring too.

Comment

• As for Blade Runner, I was amazed at how loud, and yet quiet the movie was. I was just as fascinated by the soundtrack as I was the visual effects and plot.

Just when I thought Ridley Scott has lost his edge (after Alien Covenant), he knocks this out of the park!

Comment

As for Blade Runner, I was amazed at how loud, and yet quiet the movie was. I was just as fascinated by the soundtrack as I was the visual effects and plot.

Just when I thought Ridley Scott has lost his edge (after Alien Covenant), he knocks this out of the park!
                                This was all Denis Villeneuve, homie. Go read up about the lengths that he went to make this movie special, it's crazy.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/b...ffects-arrival
                                https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/19/1...nd-water-scene

Already in the running for GOAT Canadian director imo (with Cronenberg and Cameron), even though I didn't love this movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X