The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best movies ever made. Period. Full stop. It's amazing. An absolute masterpiece.
    Finally someone appreciates this film! Best movie of the year by far. Denis Villenueve is an excellent director and Roger Deakins is the best cinematographer in the world right now. I also listen to the soundtrack to this film almost every day. The final scene is such a joy to watch, it hits you right in the feels.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
      Finally someone appreciates this film! Best movie of the year by far. Denis Villenueve is an excellent director and Roger Deakins is the best cinematographer in the world right now. I also listen to the soundtrack to this film almost every day. The final scene is such a joy to watch, it hits you right in the feels.
      Oh, definitely the best movie I've seen all year, and then some. As I said, one of the best movies ever made in my humble opinion.
      I was this the guy whole movie:

If this doesn't at least get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, I'll be done with them for good.
      Definite shoe-in for Cinematography and Visual Effects.
      Last edited by Joey; Sat Dec 30, 2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Oh, definitely the best movie I've seen all year, and then some. As I said, one of the best movies ever made in my humble opinion.
        human beaker

Comment

If this doesn't at least get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, I'll be done with them for good.
          Definite shoe-in for Cinematography and Visual Effects.
          Yeah I agree, hands down my favourite movie.

Some people are throwing major shade, though. Not only did it not make the NYT and the Ringer's Best of 2017, it didn't even get an honourable mention. Don't know what's up with those fools.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Yeah I agree, hands down my favourite movie.

Some people are throwing major shade, though. Not only did it not make the NYT and the Ringer's Best of 2017, it didn't even get an honourable mention. Don't know what's up with those fools.
            Ya I seen that. Ridiculous. Just because it didn't make $1,000,000,000? Silly. It's a masterclass in film and story-telling.

Comment

Ya I seen that. Ridiculous. Just because it didn't make $1,000,000,000? Silly. It's a masterclass in film and story-telling.
              It's almost a perfect film, IMO. I guess some people just hate anything sci-fi.
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

It's almost a perfect film, IMO. I guess some people just hate anything sci-fi.
                I've been a big Villeneuve fan for ages but I thought the pacing was just glacial. Prisoners and Arrival are both better movies imo.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  I've been a big Villeneuve fan for ages but I thought the pacing was just glacial. Prisoners and Arrival are both better movies imo.
                  I'm fine with slow pacing depending on the movie, and I was definitely fine with it here. The degree of difficulty for Blade Runner was so much higher than any of his other work that it's definitely my favourite of his. Arrival next, and then maybe go way back to Maelstrom. I like a lot Enemy as well.
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I'm fine with slow pacing depending on the movie, and I was definitely fine with it here. The degree of difficulty for Blade Runner was so much higher than any of his other work that it's definitely my favourite of his. Arrival next, and then maybe go way back to Maelstrom. I like a lot Enemy as well.
                    Totally agree. The slow pacing is necessary for such a deep and thoughtful film like this and it was true to the style and feel of the original. The film is a straight up masterpiece and probably the best technically made film in a long time. I honestly cannot think of a flaw. The biggest complaint people had with it was pacing but as I said I really think Villeneuve nailed the pacing in this one. And overlooked through all of this are the performances! Everyone had a great performance. Ryan Gosling was incredible and even Harrison Ford was great. Jared Leto was actually really good too- his scenes were so unsettling and off putting. This film better get some awards.

Comment

• I don't think Blade Runner has much of a shot at a nomination for Best Picture, unfortunately. Most experts don't have it cracking the top 10.

http://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert...inations-2018/

At this point I think the Best Pic nominees will be:

The Post
                      Lady Bird
                      Dunkirk
                      Shape of Water
                      Three Billboards
                      Florida Project
                      Call Me By Your Name

Get Out/Phantom Thread also possible.

Strong chance Blade Runner wins cinematography though.

Comment

• Looking at the upcoming movies for this year... so far the only one that has me even remotely excited is the isle of dogs from Wes Anderson. Fantastic Mr. Fox was really really good and I can’t wait to see Anderson’s latest stop motion film. But there isn’t a single movie that I’m really excited to see next year besides that one. Can someone find a truly comprehensive list of the upcoming movies for this year? I’m not a big superhero movie fan so Avengers and Black Panther both look boring to me. Maybe the Han Solo movie will be ok but I have a feeling it will not be good. Don’t like the casting so far, especially Donald Glover who is IMO supremely overrated.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          I don't think Blade Runner has much of a shot at a nomination for Best Picture, unfortunately. Most experts don't have it cracking the top 10.

http://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert...inations-2018/

At this point I think the Best Pic nominees will be:

The Post
                          Lady Bird
                          Dunkirk
                          Shape of Water
                          Three Billboards
                          Florida Project
                          Call Me By Your Name

Get Out/Phantom Thread also possible.

Strong chance Blade Runner wins cinematography though.
                          It’s a shame that Blade Runner won’t get the attention it deserves. It’s truly under appreciated.

I didn’t get the chance to see three billboards because it was in theatres for such a short time but heard it was good. Actually haven’t seen any of those films besides Get Out because the theatre around here plays one movie at a time and it happened to be Star Wars for the past month. Not complaining tho because I saw it 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Comment

Totally agree. The slow pacing is necessary for such a deep and thoughtful film like this and it was true to the style and feel of the original. The film is a straight up masterpiece and probably the best technically made film in a long time. I honestly cannot think of a flaw. The biggest complaint people had with it was pacing but as I said I really think Villeneuve nailed the pacing in this one. And overlooked through all of this are the performances! Everyone had a great performance. Ryan Gosling was incredible and even Harrison Ford was great. Jared Leto was actually really good too- his scenes were so unsettling and off putting. This film better get some awards.
                            There was only one flaw I noticed, but it was a pretty big one. And it wasn't anything Villeneuve could have fixed, because it was a major part of the screenplay.

The film starts out being about Gosling's character, and spends most of its duration being about Gosling's character - and then basically ignores him at the end, and pivots to Harrison Ford and his daughter. This was a severe oversight of a fundamental rule of movie making: a film shows a character's journey - an entire journey. To not give Gosling's character a true climax and resolution was bizarre, and left the overall narrative feeling muddled.
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• The Movie Thread

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              There was only one flaw I noticed, but it was a pretty big one. And it wasn't anything Villeneuve could have fixed, because it was a major part of the screenplay.

The film starts out being about Gosling's character, and spends most of its duration being about Gosling's character - and then basically ignores him at the end, and pivots to Harrison Ford and his daughter. This was a severe oversight of a fundamental rule of movie making: a film shows a character's journey - an entire journey. To not give Gosling's character a true climax and resolution was bizarre, and left the overall narrative feeling muddled.
                              I would have to disagree with you and here’s why:

SPOILERS

The ending was still about gosling’s character. The movie was about his journey and desire to discover the meaning to his life. He thought he had done this when he believed he was the child of a replicant, but then he learned this wasn’t true. The final scene signifies that even though he wasn’t the child of the replicant he had found meaning. He had left his mark on the world and helped reunite a family. This is signified by the parallel between the original Blade Runner’s “tears in rain” scene where the replicants just disappear, ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Instead, Gosling’s scene takes place in the snow, and he leaves his mark like tears in snow would. It’s actually very clever and for me at least truly impactful. The final scene was one of my favourite scenes in the movie and offered a great payoff for both gosling’s and ford’s characters. Gosling’s life meant something.

Comment

I would have to disagree with you and here’s why:

SPOILERS

The ending was still about gosling’s character. The movie was about his journey and desire to discover the meaning to his life. He thought he had done this when he believed he was the child of a replicant, but then he learned this wasn’t true. The final scene signifies that even though he wasn’t the child of the replicant he had found meaning. He had left his mark on the world and helped reunite a family. This is signified by the parallel between the original Blade Runner’s “tears in rain” scene where the replicants just disappear, ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Instead, Gosling’s scene takes place in the snow, and he leaves his mark like tears in snow would. It’s actually very clever and for me at least truly impactful. The final scene was one of my favourite scenes in the movie and offered a great payoff for both gosling’s and ford’s characters. Gosling’s life meant something.
                                That's a really great analysis. I hadn't caught the rain vs. snow thing. I need to go back and watch the original, it's been awhile since I've seen it.

But on the whole, I disagree with your point Because: in that final scene, the focus is on Ford and his daughter, while Gosling is ancillary. The protagonist cannot, by definition, be ancillary to the climax of a narrative. This is what I mean by 'muddled'. Now: if Gosling had been watching some *truly* minor characters reunite, it might have been possible that I would have been more interested in him in the moment than I was in them. But he's watching Rick Deckard? Rick Deckard meeting, for the first time, his adult, *REPLICANT* DAUGHTER?!? I'm sorry, but I just do not - CANNOT - gaf about Gosling, the supposed protagonist, at this point. There's way too much other very loaded stuff going on. And this is a true failure of craft on the part of the screenwriters. If this was where they wanted to end up, the entire movie should have been designed around the Deckard-daughter reunion, including ALL of the character and plot development - and almost none of it is. It's a massive, borderline unforgivable oversight.

Only borderline though, because the skill in all other areas of the film is remarkable. It's still a great, great movie. But Maury: I WANT PERFECTION. And the messiness mentioned above takes the whole thing down one notch.
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X