No announcement yet.

TV Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was looking for a Fred Armisen clip from SNL last night's show ... could not, but found this...

Comment

• And away we go. Rick and morty back tonight.

Comment

• So I watched the first two episodes of The Mandalorian and it's solid. I'm not trying to give spoilers but just in case don't read any further if you've not seen it.

I like that its story driven, I like the characters and the plot is going just fine. I like it a lot more than the last three Star Wars films and to me it feels more Star Wars than that. I know some people are calling it a "Spaghetti Western" but it doesn't feel at all like those Eastwood movies to me. It's on to it own.

We haven't seen an identifiable villain yet but I like how there was a big moment of adversity in both episodes that the protagonist had to overcome with bravery and with assistance. He's good and he's brave but he's not OP like a lot of action protagonists in shows and movies are these days. I'd give the first two episodes a 8/10 but this show is not enough for get me to stick with Disney+ and I'm not dying to see episode three... Maybe part three delivers a clear identifiable villain. That would help.

I think this show will be more well received than anything else Disney has put out Star Wars related because its onto it's own and so fans don't have an emotional bond to the characters and there's no expectations for these characters to be a certain way because of prior character development investments. Writers can be creative, they have freedom here; Lucas should have penned the current trilogy.
        Last edited by Apollo; Mon Nov 18, 2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• I am really curious about the Madalorian since I grew up a huge star wars fan.. the new trilogy isn't doing it for me at all. I'm also a fan of Pedro Pascal who was great in GoT. Gus Fring is in it as well which seems awesome on paper. Takes place after ROTJ. Hope they don't bring back the Ewoks lol.

Wonder how much of a budget they'll give the show?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            I am really curious about the Madalorian since I grew up a huge star wars fan.. the new trilogy isn't doing it for me at all. I'm also a fan of Pedro Pascal who was great in GoT. Gus Fring is in it as well which seems awesome on paper. Takes place after ROTJ. Hope they don't bring back the Ewoks lol.

Wonder how much of a budget they'll give the show?
            Disney+ offers a free one week trial. I was planning to take advantage of it to watch all eight episodes later once they were all out (take that Disney! ) but I couldn't wait... I had to see what it was like. Now? They probably have my $9 for at least a month because my daughter is enjoying all the kids content so much. Well played, Disney. Well played.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              So I watched the first two episodes of The Mandalorian and it's solid. I'm not trying to give spoilers but just in case don't read any further if you've not seen it.

I like that its story driven, I like the characters and the plot is going just fine. I like it a lot more than the last three Star Wars films and to me it feels more Star Wars than that. I know some people are calling it a "Spaghetti Western" but it doesn't feel at all like those Eastwood movies to me. It's on to it own.

We haven't seen an identifiable villain yet but I like how there was a big moment of adversity in both episodes that the protagonist had to overcome with bravery and with assistance. He's good and he's brave but he's not OP like a lot of action protagonists in shows and movies are these days. I'd give the first two episodes a 8/10 but this show is not enough for get me to stick with Disney+ and I'm not dying to see episode three... Maybe part three delivers a clear identifiable villain. That would help.

I think this show will be more well received than anything else Disney has put out Star Wars related because its onto it's own and so fans don't have an emotional bond to the characters and there's no expectations for these characters to be a certain way because of prior character development investments. Writers can be creative, they have freedom here; Lucas should have penned the current trilogy.
              People will look back at The Last Jedi in the future like they do with Empire.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Some. Doubt the main customer base before this new trilogy will though.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Comment

Some. Doubt the main customer base before this new trilogy will though.
                    People blinded by nostalgia and crowded by group think will hate it. I would say I’m part of the main customer base before this new trilogy, and I was thoroughly impressed with Johnson’s movie. More depth and risk than in any Star Wars movie since Empire.

Sorry for going off topic Joey.

Comment

• I'm not a fan of the last movie. I thought the story was stupid in some ways and it betrayed much of the character development of Luke from the first trilogy. I came up with that conclusion on my own while watching the movie. It wasn't nostalgia, it was just my gut feeling based on what I knew and understood from the first films and what I was watching in that film. It was like it was written by someone who didn't really know the first trilogy.

All the good things in life are born from risks but there are good risks and there are bad risks. There are those who are good at taking risks and then there are those who aren't good at taking risks. The risks taken in the last main film were poor and it disappointed a lot of people. There were some poor decisions made and even Hamill said as much many times. If you disagree and you liked the film then congrats, I'm happy you got the movie you wanted. As for me, I'm not at all excited about the last film and I don't think there's anything they can do to fix that and I think I'm not in the minority.
                      ​

Comment

• As for Star Wars on TV, I just finished watching episode 3 of The Mandalorian and it was awesome. It was much better than the first two, which were both alright. I'm really optimistic about the final five episodes after this one. I'd give it a 10/10.

Comment

• are all of the episodes of the madalorian up or is it releasing weekly? and is it boba fett, but we don't say its boba because money bags?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            are all of the episodes of the madalorian up or is it releasing weekly? and is it boba fett, but we don't say its boba because money bags?
                            They're releasing them weekly.

It's a different Mandalorian. A pretty interesting character with similarities to Boba but he's clearly different.

It's worth signing up for the free week trial or getting the service for a month or so to watch this show. I'm sold after the last episode, it was pretty damn good.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the last movie. I thought the story was stupid in some ways and it betrayed much of the character development of Luke from the first trilogy. I came up with that conclusion on my own while watching the movie. It wasn't nostalgia, it was just my gut feeling based on what I knew and understood from the first films and what I was watching in that film. It was like it was written by someone who didn't really know the first trilogy.

All the good things in life are born from risks but there are good risks and there are bad risks. There are those who are good at taking risks and then there are those who aren't good at taking risks. The risks taken in the last main film were poor and it disappointed a lot of people. There were some poor decisions made and even Hamill said as much many times. If you disagree and you liked the film then congrats, I'm happy you got the movie you wanted. As for me, I'm not at all excited about the last film and I don't think there's anything they can do to fix that and I think I'm not in the minority.
                              ​
                              What I said was a bit of hyperbole and I can respect your opinion. My only concern is that movies like the last film will be discouraged by such an extreme public backlash that from my view in the cheap seats is a lot of angry teenagers and groupthink. At least there was artistic intent in the last film, for better or for worse, and IMO that's far better than the formulaic drivel coming out of most franchise films.

I'm excited to see how the story ends, specifically because Driver's character is so interesting to me, but I have to say JJ Abrams doesn't get me too pumped. I'll still see it in theatres though.

Comment

• Alright, time to get in my Monthly plug for the best Sci-Fi show ever .. "The Expanse", Season 4 out now on Amazon!
                                Here's all you need to get mostly up to speed for Season 4, but I'd suggest just watching it:

And the first season with Amazon is so far more than living up to the expectation. Shohreh Aghdashloo is an absolute masterclass actor. Her portrayal of Avasarala is by far one of my favourite characters in any show ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X