Ebola Outbreak 2014 - Contagion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some quotes from the WHO:

"most severe acute health emergency in modern times", the World Health Organisation has warned.

"I have never seen a health event threaten the very survival of societies and governments in already very poor countries."

"I have never seen an infectious disease contribute so strongly to potential state failure."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ern-times.html

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• So far nothing in Canada..........?
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
        So far nothing in Canada..........?
        http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21079505/

Comment

• I'm speechless:

Panic at London hospital after suspected Ebola patient arrives at A&E: Medical staff 'scared to go near man but let him use a communal toilet and have visitors'
          k

Comment

• Sounds like its a long way out... Although I'm sure if prelim testing is promising they'll fast track.

Question: How do you test whether a vaccine is effective or not?

History lesson for Canadians anyway:

Ebola may be a more effective killer, but compared to the Spanish Flu it’s much harder to catch, requiring physical contact with an infected person or their property.

Flu, on the other hand, is only one sneeze away from infecting an entire room, or train carriage.

Between ease of infection and the strength of the 1918 H1N1 influenza virus with a 2.5% mortality rate, it still ranks as the greatest mass killer in human history, ultimately wiping out between 50 and 100 million people, or 5% of the world’s population. In Canada, 50,000 died, 4,000 of them Albertans.

Within weeks of that fateful train rolling into Calgary, this city joined the planet in health care crisis.

“SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, THEATRES CLOSED: NO PUBLIC MEETINGS” reads the front page of The Morning Albertan, dated October 19, 1918. The story warns Calgarians that gathering in public is now illegal: “The medical health officer also has prohibited all unnecessary gatherings in streets, stores, street corners and other public places.”

If people weren’t panicking before, being told to avoid human contact was enough to spread dread, while wearing masks became the law and a symbol of that fear.

And as it had across the globe, the flu that started among soldiers in Europe soon started to take its toll on Calgary civilians, particularly the young and otherwise healthy, and obituaries filled with dead 20-somethings.

In the worst cases, a patient with a mild fever in the morning would be dead by nightfall, their lungs drowning in phlegm and their body burning with fever.
            Calgary Sun

It wouldn't hurt to have a little extra non-perishable food on hand. I mean various ice storms in eastern Canada which knocked out power up to weeks and cut off access to areas illustrated this is wise.

Back to the virus, I know that at one hospital in eastern Canada they're running drills just in case(I know someone very well who works there). I know in Calgary, AB they've purchased 2,000 hazmat suits(Global news mentioned this last week) and they're probably running drills or walk-through meetings (speculation). I am hopeful that if a case happens in Canada the nation will in fact be ready.

Comment

• WHO Director-General Margaret Chan, citing World Bank figures, said 90 percent of economic costs of any outbreak "come from irrational and disorganized efforts of the public to avoid infection."
              I wonder if the intense fascination with ebola is not magnified by the information age. There are so many rumors flying around that people seem to be panicking way earlier than usual.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                I wonder if the intense fascination with ebola is not magnified by the information age. There are so many rumors flying around that people seem to be panicking way earlier than usual.
                Maybe but I've always held that panic is rooted in ignorance. The information age allows people to be better informed and better prepared in the event of disasters. It's a double edged sword but people easily panicked will panic either way.

You can't control the future but you can try to be prepared for an unfortunate turn of events... And that doesn't have to be going down the road of those extreme Y2K'ers of fifteen years ago.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Sounds like its a long way out... Although I'm sure if prelim testing is promising they'll fast track.

Question: How do you test whether a vaccine is effective or not?
                  I may stand corrected...but the vaccine is supposed to create anti-bodies in the recipient's immune system to stave off infection from the actual virus. They are tested for side effects after the vaccine and then exposed to the actual virus. And of course this tells the tale. Wanna put your hand up Apollo?

Apparently they have 40 volunteers at Walter Reed Hosp. in DC. Brave people. The vaccine has obviously worked in animals successfully. But still....

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                    I may stand corrected...but the vaccine is supposed to create anti-bodies in the recipient's immune system to stave off infection from the actual virus. They are tested for side effects after the vaccine and then exposed to the actual virus. And of course this tells the tale. Wanna put your hand up Apollo?

Apparently they have 40 volunteers at Walter Reed Hosp. in DC. Brave people. The vaccine has obviously worked in animals successfully. But still....
                    Well I knew how it worked, I didn't know how the protocol goes for testing. Takes a big set or a loss of sanity to put your hand up for this Bendit. Pass, I want my set to live another 50 years.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

Really? I thought that vaccine uses cold virus to deliver a inactive portion of Ebola to body? just like with other virus vaccines.
                      Last edited by rocwell; Mon Oct 13, 2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...een-to-africa/

Stupidity of people in the plane
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• World Health Organization told BBC that by the first week of December there could be up to 10,000 new cases of ebola A WEEK.

Comment

• West Africa could see up to 10,000 new Ebola cases a week within two months, the World Health Organization said Tuesday, also confirming the death rate in the current outbreak has risen to 70 percent.
                            http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...-week-26179330

Overdue to shutdown travel to and from these West African countries but perhaps the greatest danger to Canada right now is the incidents in Texas:
                            ABC News chief health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser recently returned from the Ebola hot zone in Liberia. He said Sunday morning that if the new Ebola case reported in Dallas is confirmed, it is a "very concerning" development.

"Public health officials will need to investigate to see how this exposure occurred," Besser said."Was this a worker who had contact with [Thomas Eric] Duncan before it was known he was infected with Ebola or after? If after, it raises big questions."

He said "a very wide net" needs to be cast for anyone who has come into contact with Duncan, who died at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on Wednesday, the first patient in the United States to be diagnosed with Ebola.

Besser said he does not agree with the Centers for Disease Control, which says any U.S. hospital can safely care for an Ebola patient.

"To do it safely, health care workers need to train and practice using protective equipment like they have been doing at the Emory and Nebraska facilities," he said, referring to special biocontainment units at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta — where Fort Worth physician Kent Brantly was treated for Ebola exposure; and the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, where an NBC photojournalist is currently being cared for. "I would never have gone into an Ebola ward in Africa without being dressed and decontaminated by experts — health care workers here should expect no less."
                            http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/healt...sser/17148109/

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...-week-26179330

Overdue to shutdown travel to and from these countries.

Perhaps the biggest danger to Canada right now is the incidents in Texas.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/healt...sser/17148109/

this is mental. 10k new cases a week!

Comment

• For something that doesn't transmit very easily it sure is going to transmit seemingly very easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X