The Space Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/scie...=mmx&PC=EMMX20

This is pretty cool. Maybe lead to better ways of finding closer/smaller holes that we can study, and then manipulate for cosmic power. Type 2.1 here we come.

Comment

• Historic moment. Get a little emotional every time I see this stuff. These are the baby steps toward sci-fi becoming reality.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

First completely autonomous docking as well. They usually need the arm to dock, but this Dragon capsule did it all itself. Amazing stuff.

Comment

• Dragon splashdown...

Comment

• I may live long enough to see first Mars colonization, exciting stuff.
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                I may live long enough to see first Mars colonization, exciting stuff.
                We got enough problems to fix here first..
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

who gives a fuck, humans gonna destroy everything anyway, it's just a matter of time.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's not do one or the other though. Why can't we have both? The benefits of advancing space technology is good for everyone. I'm actually not sure if there is a truly better return on investment, as far as Tax Payers money goes in terms of just general contributions to society.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

It's not do one or the other though. Why can't we have both? The benefits of advancing space technology is good for everyone. I'm actually not sure if there is a truly better return on investment, as far as Tax Payers money goes in terms of just general contributions to society.
                      Space race > arms race

Comment

• I do agree though that we shouldn't be overconfident in our ability to ditch this world for another when we've ruined the climate for ourselves and depleted the Earth's resources, etc - i.e. excessive techno-optimism at the expense of our own planet.

Mars manned-missions make sense as a goal, it's really not that far. And there's a lot to be gained for science - especially about the origins of life apparently.

Comment

• Ya, no matter how much we ruin our planet, it will be a LONG time until it's anywhere near as bad as Mars already is. Lol Staying on Earth is of course Option #1a, but I don't really think it's necessarily about that .. It's ultimately about going past Mars. Humans being a multi-planet species, and continuing to expand our reach is feeding that same basic human desire that Columbus and all the other great explorers tried to feed. As soon as we are able to expand, we will. It's what we do. And Environmental conditions rarely stop us .. look at the people living on Baffin Island, or places in Africa that have no business sustaining human life. And yet ...
                          Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 18, 2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Ya, no matter how much we ruin our planet, it will be a LONG time until it's anywhere near as bad as Mars already is. Lol Staying on Earth is of course Option #1a, but I don't really think it's necessarily about that .. It's ultimately about going past Mars. Humans being a multi-planet species, and continuing to expand our reach is feeding that same basic human desire that Columbus and all the other great explorers tried to feed. As soon as we are able to expand, we will. It's what we do. And Environmental conditions rarely stop us .. look at the people living on Baffin Island, or places in Africa that have no business sustaining human life. And yet ...
                            agreed, but those places do have air, and livable atmosphere. We need to figure out artificial gravity so we don't wilt on the trips, and how to transport mass people/equipment with us. We need a multi planet population, then solar system, then galactic. I think it is pretty straight forward that everything ends.

Comment

• I know i brought up artificial gravity, but why dont specialized magnetic suits that pull downwards onto the floors of our space stations work?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                I know i brought up artificial gravity, but why dont specialized magnetic suits that pull downwards onto the floors of our space stations work?
                                You been watching the Expanse? They seem to have figured it all out. Such a good show ... Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X