The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    The 20 is because everyone that has a switch and wants to play with their friends will drop 20 a year to do so. It is stupid. If you're playing online, you probably have high speed unlimited internet, so Skype or any other free service could do the way same thing.
    Yes but they'll give you a couple 35 year old games on a monthly basis which they'd otherwise charge you $10 to buy individually (even though most of them you'd never buy).

Comment

• Well it is officially Sea of Thieves time!!

https://youtu.be/r5JIBaasuE8

https://youtu.be/OBJUG-Xrh_g

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Machine wrote: View Post
        Well it is officially Sea of Thieves time!!

https://youtu.be/r5JIBaasuE8

https://youtu.be/OBJUG-Xrh_g

just waiting for my boy to head off to school, and i set sail

Comment

• Fun game. I chose solo because i thought I would be alone in the world to figure shit out. Nope. They just killed me and took my ship.

Comment

Fun game. I chose solo because i thought I would be alone in the world to figure shit out. Nope. They just killed me and took my ship.
            Lol yeah much better to play with friends or a group. Coop is basically essential in this game until you get more experienced. You also learn alot from others even if you just play with randoms.

Comment

• So this is sort of like the pirate version of Ark?

Personally I've been playing through Zelda BOTW a little bit every night. Its been great so far. The first few hours of it though made me wonder what all the praise was about but once I had all my runes and access to the whole map it started to impress me. This is probably one of the best games I've played in quite some time.

The challenge level went from feeling steep at first to somewhat easy after I figured out cooking, which wasn't really explained.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                So this is sort of like the pirate version of Ark?

Personally I've been playing through Zelda BOTW a little bit every night. Its been great so far. The first few hours of it though made me wonder what all the praise was about but once I had all my runes and access to the whole map it started to impress me. This is probably one of the best games I've played in quite some time.

The challenge level went from feeling steep at first to somewhat easy after I figured out cooking, which wasn't really explained.
                I've been playing BoTW for about a month. Done most of the main questline and am now basically just exploring and doing shrines.

I love the game but I will say I would appreciate a few lengthier dungeons sprinkled in. I realize that the linear dungeon is maybe a bit of a relic of a bygone age of technical limitations but the immense freedom is a bit daunting in BoTW at first.
                Anyway, it's a lot of fun and I am even enjoying the story cutscenes and characters (as much as a Nintendo game can offer that, anyway).

Beyond that I picked up Subnautica (PC) the other day and am having all kinds of fun with it. It's a very pretty game and has a lot of different viable approaches (at least it seems to so far). Plus it'll get the adrenaline pumping when you encounter some sea monster at 300m below surface with half your oxygen already depleted, lol.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                  I've been playing BoTW for about a month. Done most of the main questline and am now basically just exploring and doing shrines.

I love the game but I will say I would appreciate a few lengthier dungeons sprinkled in. I realize that the linear dungeon is maybe a bit of a relic of a bygone age of technical limitations but the immense freedom is a bit daunting in BoTW at first.
                  Anyway, it's a lot of fun and I am even enjoying the story cutscenes and characters (as much as a Nintendo game can offer that, anyway).
                  I hear you. In open worlds I have trouble following the main quests because I feel a strong need to mess around and explore. For instance I took down the giant Elephant mech before I was officially even shown on a map where it was or why I should fight it, I thought I had stumbled onto some sidequest; I'm still early on in the main quest. I also found an island in the far south east that appears to be the ultimate dungeon challenge. Have you found this yet? If you're looking for a longer and much greater challenge you might want to go there. I bailed, I only have four hearts and two stamina circles.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I hear you. In open worlds I have trouble following the main quests because I feel a strong need to mess around and explore. For instance I took down the giant Elephant mech before I was officially even shown on a map where it was or why I should fight it, I thought I had stumbled onto some sidequest; I'm still early on in the main quest. I also found an island in the far south east that appears to be the ultimate dungeon challenge. Have you found this yet? If you're looking for a longer and much greater challenge you might want to go there. I bailed, I only have four hearts and two stamina circles.
                    The best open world game for this was oblivion. I loved that monsters leveled as you did so it was always hard. Zelda, skyrim, mass effect, and others can make the main quest super easy to complete, and I think that takes away from the overall gaming experience.
                    Last edited by Miekenstien; Wed Mar 21, 2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Lol yeah much better to play with friends or a group. Coop is basically essential in this game until you get more experienced. You also learn alot from others even if you just play with randoms.

I figured out soloing. Two schools. Take the gallon and hope others think you are a full crew, and stay away. Or take the scooner, and when you are on straight water go to half mast, set a good course, and climb the birds best. Give a quick look around, run down and make your adjustments.

I am getting really good at coming into the docks at a good speed, dropping anchor and being right beside the deck. Just get your treasure unloaded and it doesn't matter if they steal or destroy your ship, you get another one. You will lose anything on it if you don't unload first though.

So far their are another asshole pirates that steal all my stuff, or idiot pirates who leave their stuff unguarded.

Can't win navy battles solo.

Comment

I figured out soloing. Two schools. Take the gallon and hope others think you are a full crew, and stay away. Or take the scooner, and when you are on straight water go to half mast, set a good course, and climb the birds best. Give a quick look around, run down and make your adjustments.

I am getting really good at coming into the docks at a good speed, dropping anchor and being right beside the deck. Just get yo treasure unloaded and it doesn't matter if they steal or destroy your ship, you get another one. You will lose anything on it if you don't unload first though.

So far their are either asshole pirates that steal all my stuff, or idiot pirates who leave their stuff unguarded.

Comment

I am getting really good at coming into the docks at a good speed, dropping anchor and being right beside the deck. Just get your treasure unloaded and it doesn't matter if they steal or destroy your ship, you get another one. You will lose anything on it if you don't unload first though.

So far their are another asshole pirates that steal all my stuff, or idiot pirates who leave their stuff unguarded.

Me and a friend played for about 4 or 5 hours last night. We were in a two man scooner and for about 2 hours we never saw a single ship on the horizon. We were able to cash in for a ton of coin during that time. But later we were on an island trying to solve a riddle for one of the more expensive voyages when we heard cannons and went back to the ship to see that it had been sunk. The offending ship was in a cove in the island and was a solo player so as he was diving into the water to gather what our ship had dropped, I snuck onto his ship and began taking his chests and hiding them all over the island. My friend was caught as he tried to do the same and was killed. He then spawned on our new ship on another part of the map while I continued to rob our attacker. I killed him a couple times before he finally killed me but by that time I had robbed his ship clean. When I respawned on our ship my friend had already made his way back to the island and we promptly sunk the attackers ship and he went down with it. We then gathered all his treasure I had hidden all over the island and left him in our dust.

It was so satisfying lol.

Our plan tonight is to get a bigger crew on a galleon ship and head toward a skull cloud to take on a skeleton army and get the key to their hoarded treasure. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Machine; Wed Mar 21, 2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Zelda is addictive. I've got a few games in my library but I just keep going back to Zelda. I get a kick out of fighting Lynel's. Have them mapped out and hope for a Blood Moon so that I can go back and fight them again.

Comment

The best open world game for this was oblivion. I loved that monsters leveled as you did so it was always hard. Zelda, skyrim, mass effect, and others can make the main quest super easy to complete, and I think that takes away from the overall gaming experience.
                              oblivion's leveling system was all sorts of broken though. very easy to make the game almost impossible for yourself just by playing to your supposed strengths.

It was better to pick off-skills as your majors in Oblivion to avoid over-leveling the game.

It was a good idea but the execution was a little bit off.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Zelda is addictive. I've got a few games in my library but I just keep going back to Zelda. I get a kick out of fighting Lynel's. Have them mapped out and hope for a Blood Moon so that I can go back and fight them again.
                                I'm really low level right now so I run from those guys... I don't even dare try to cheese them with bombs... It's intense even running from them though. You can't escape on the flat, they're too fast unless you have a horse(I assume they can be outrun by horse, I haven't tried). Also they wield that damn elemental bow with the insanely long range. There was a time a few days ago where I made it away from one, up over a mountain and started down the other side and still got tagged with a elemental arrow which nearly KO'd me. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X