The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    In terms of the game? I've finished both KOTOR I and KOTOR II's entire gameplay and story, light side, dark side, male or female.

Personally, my favourite is KOTOR II, with the influence aspect and detail behind building the relationship, reviving your connection with the force, etc.

Fav build is = female -> jedi guardian -> jedi master in KOTOR II.

What about you?
    Haven’t played either in a couple of years. I tend to go dark in KOTOR and light in KOTOR II. The Revan arc is ambiguous enough that it works both ways but I prefer it as dark but for good reasons.

The Revan story comes up in other Star Wars novels too. I think the first Darth Bane story made reference to Revan exploring the caves of Korriban and finding Sith artifacts.

I remember there was a guy who did a really good YouTube series turning KOTOR into a movie. He dubbed his own dialogue and broke it down into 20 segments.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Haven’t played either in a couple of years. I tend to go dark in KOTOR and light in KOTOR II. The Revan arc is ambiguous enough that it works both ways but I prefer it as dark but for good reasons.

The Revan story comes up in other Star Wars novels too. I think the first Darth Bane story made reference to Revan exploring the caves of Korriban and finding Sith artifacts.

I remember there was a guy who did a really good YouTube series turning KOTOR into a movie. He dubbed his own dialogue and broke it down into 20 segments.
      Yeah, going dark as Revan in KOTOR is incredibly fun. The plot twists and everything in the game is just... insane. I remember my very first full playthrough -- it was a fuc*ing mess lol. Funny enough, I was a light side player, but when the option came to overthrough Malak and take the Sith, it was hilarious by the end. The story of the Mandalorian Wars and being in the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR II was an awesome thing to carry into the next game.

In KOTOR II, the game is all about the exile and the "death of the force," those "echos." Apparently, Obi-Wan in one of the trilogy movies actually talks about the death, and the echos of the force. Crazy how, before Disney bought it, everything coincided really well.

I was watching and listening to commentary and in-depth analysis on the story of Kreia.

Frick, the KOTOR universe is so insane. Still, the biggest mystery to me is what's hiding out there.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Found something:

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          Yeah, going dark as Revan in KOTOR is incredibly fun. The plot twists and everything in the game is just... insane. I remember my very first full playthrough -- it was a fuc*ing mess lol. Funny enough, I was a light side player, but when the option came to overthrough Malak and take the Sith, it was hilarious by the end. The story of the Mandalorian Wars and being in the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR II was an awesome thing to carry into the next game.

In KOTOR II, the game is all about the exile and the "death of the force," those "echos." Apparently, Obi-Wan in one of the trilogy movies actually talks about the death, and the echos of the force. Crazy how, before Disney bought it, everything coincided really well.

I was watching and listening to commentary and in-depth analysis on the story of Kreia.

Frick, the KOTOR universe is so insane. Still, the biggest mystery to me is what's hiding out there.
          In the Revan book, he finds something. It’s been years since I read it but he crashes on a planet with some kind of supreme being.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Honestly, my fav part of those games was HK-47. He had the best lines of any game. Ever.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              I think that is a good explanation of metal gear solid. 2 is my favourite because it was the first "stealth" game I played. I also really liked the boss fights, and after a particularly difficult one always felt a sense of accomplishment that I never got from splinter cell.

That said, the feeling of grabbing some dude and pulling into an alley to incapacitate him while his security partner is still in mid sentence is always super fun. Makes you feel like Rambo.
              What did you think of MGS4? That ending fight sequence is a legendary moment in gaming history. But I agree with you, the sense of accomplishment is like no other.

But Splinter Cell is so damn fun, its a more stress free stealth game in relation to MGS. The vibe is a little more lighthearted and the mechanics are pretty simple to get the hang of. The first 3 did have its challenging moments though, I loved the complete ghost missions where if you get caught its game over. Blacklist was ridiculously easy compared to the original 3.

Comment

In the Revan book, he finds something. It’s been years since I read it but he crashes on a planet with some kind of supreme being.
                I gotta read it. I'll try to find it, thanks for letting me know about it.

Axel wrote: View Post
                Honestly, my fav part of those games was HK-47. He had the best lines of any game. Ever.
                HK and Atton are great. I thought Jolee Bindo was the cool old man. He was such an underrated character in my opinion.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  What did you think of MGS4? That ending fight sequence is a legendary moment in gaming history. But I agree with you, the sense of accomplishment is like no other.

But Splinter Cell is so damn fun, its a more stress free stealth game in relation to MGS. The vibe is a little more lighthearted and the mechanics are pretty simple to get the hang of. The first 3 did have its challenging moments though, I loved the complete ghost missions where if you get caught its game over. Blacklist was ridiculously easy compared to the original 3.
                  didn't play it. never got the ps3.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post

To me its the opposite. Mgs seems way more lighthearted and goofy. Splinter cell is much more realistic and hardcore stealth. Referring to the first 3. And blacklist is hardcore too if you want to ghost the way it should be played. I hear you about the story but the stealth gameplay in choas theory cant be matched. Mgs mechanics just arent tight enough. Movement is too twitchy and sound was not nearly as realistic and sensitive as it is in splinter cell games. Plus the light and shadows were so much more refined in SC. Plus SC music was top notch. And splinter cell was no slouch when it comes to story either. Some great moments in that franchise too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Looks like I missed out on some really good KOTOR discussion.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Looks like I missed out on some really good KOTOR discussion.
                        No you did not, sir. We are still here!

What was your favourite of the two KOTOR's?

Comment

• I liked both of them fairly equally but the first has a special place in my heart. The story was excellent. If they took that story and turned it into a movie trilogy it would be far better than the current one playing out.

Comment

I liked both of them fairly equally but the first has a special place in my heart. The story was excellent. If they took that story and turned it into a movie trilogy it would be far better than the current one playing out.
                            Yeah, especially because it takes place way before any of the current movies that are out, if I'm not mistaken.

Did a whole lot of reading, and Revan -- who is apparently canon now -- is probably the most important character it seems in the Star Wars universe. Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, then leaving to fight the "hidden" Sith threat, delaying the inevitable Great Galactic War, etc.

IF, they take the same sort of writing and story, and use the gameplay mechanics/customization of KOTOR II and enhancing it, they'd have a perfect game... I dream of KOTOR III.

Comment

• I'd be satisfied with a KOTOR 1&2 double pack remaster. Make it 1080p with new textures and character models. They could have a game that could run on everything from Switch to high-end PCs... And it would sell a tonne. People are dying for Star Wars things that stay true to the spirit of the original trilogy.

Comment

I'd be satisfied with a KOTOR 1&2 double pack remaster. Make it 1080p with new textures and character models. They could have a game that could run on everything from Switch to high-end PCs... And it would sell a tonne. People are dying for Star Wars things that stay true to the spirit of the original trilogy.
                                KOTOR might actually be better than the original trilogy. The ultimate story of redemption or destiny (depending on your chosen path). If it was given a full movie (or animation), I think it would stand up very well.

A remastered game would be fantastic as the original Xbox graphics are pretty rudimentary compared to these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X