The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    My vision for now is to use the SSD as a Windows boot drive and load one or two key games on there I plan to play a lot. I can live with the performance drop to the HDD for the rest. I've been a laptop guy now for the past seven years and so this for me is like upgrading from a Mazda Miata to a 3500 Dodge Ram Laramie.

I'm thinking of running my PS4 to one of my monitors and to have all my gaming at a desk from now on. I'm thinking about getting an HDMI switch to accomplish a clean switch between the devices. You have any other idea to accomplish this?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    You'll regret the 120gb difference from 120-240 more than the 50-60 bucks saved. You won't use the HDD as much as you think and its not a big deal to have it as an External off the USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 is fast enough to use as a scratch drive if you need lots of workspace. Also verify the 970 is HDMI 2.0 some aren't and there isn't a price difference between brands using 2.0 and 1.4 - 4K Displays are clunky using HDMI 1.4

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      You'll regret the 120gb difference from 120-240 more than the 50-60 bucks saved. You won't use the HDD as much as you think and its not a big deal to have it as an External off the USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 is fast enough to use as a scratch drive if you need lots of workspace. Also verify the 970 is HDMI 2.0 some aren't and there isn't a price difference between brands using 2.0 and 1.4 - 4K Displays are clunky using HDMI 1.4
      I'm think thee EVGA is HDMI 2.0 but would verify and test once I get it. Manufacturers sometimes use wrong product description own their own products

Comment

• It has one HDMI 2.0 port so I'm covered for the future.

I have loads of 3.0 ports but I think I'm gonna stick with the HDD. If I want more SSD room I can always go get another on sale later on.

I'm planning to open the hood and make sure everything is as advertised too and this is great advice.

Comment

It has one HDMI 2.0 port so I'm covered for the future.

I have loads of 3.0 ports but I think I'm gonna stick with the HDD. If I want more SSD room I can always go get another on sale later on.

Your choice, but then the 120 becomes pretty useless. Its too small to be useful IMHO and a hassle to use even as a second drive but I also think 1 TB is small for a HDD.

Comment

Your choice, but then the 120 becomes pretty useless. Its too small to be useful IMHO and a hassle to use even as a second drive but I also think 1 TB is small for a HDD.
            Its a nice system. I use mine to play minecraft and look at cats.

Comment

Yeah I may be upgrading storage in the future but my thinking was to keep so much on the cloud, so much on a portable that I want to keep but most likely won't use often and then have my OS on a fast booting SSD with ENOUGH room for a few slower loading games and then have storage on the HDD for everything else. I didn't want to fork out on ageing HDD tech and yet I didn't want to buy in completely on overpriced SSD tech just now. By the time storage is an issue I think I'll be ready to get another SSD at a much more reasonable price point.

Thanks for the comments on the build. I am pretty happy with it on paper and I hope it works great. The only assembly will be to pop in the video card; was scared of damage in the unit during shipping.

Comment

Yeah I may be upgrading storage in the future but my thinking was to keep so much on the cloud, so much on a portable that I want to keep but most likely won't use often and then have my OS on a fast booting SSD with ENOUGH room for a few slower loading games and then have storage on the HDD for everything else. I didn't want to fork out on ageing HDD tech and yet I didn't want to buy in completely on overpriced SSD tech just now. By the time storage is an issue I think I'll be ready to get another SSD at a much more reasonable price point.

Thanks for the comments on the build. I am pretty happy with it on paper and I hope it works great. The only assembly will be to pop in the video card; was scared of damage in the unit during shipping.

Next SSD are M.2 and require a new motherboard or card.

Comment

• Years away for me I think.

Comment

• Ok, best games on Steam for a guy with a nice PC and go:

Comment

• Breaking: Global Girlfriend Shortage Reaches Crisis Levels

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rtner=yahootix

I ripped off raptors999, sue me.

Here now is a dramatization of Sony's Playstation Division HQ Xmas Party:

Comment

Ok, best games on Steam for a guy with a nice PC and go:
                        Borderlands 2 is fun and a good game to test max resolution before trying Metro - Far Cry - Crysis benchmark games. Civ V + Beyond Earth tests GPU image quality and are fun too. WOW just let's you feel lonely and sad in front of a screen.

Comment

Borderlands 2 is fun and a good game to test max resolution before trying Metro - Far Cry - Crysis benchmark games. Civ V + Beyond Earth tests GPU image quality and are fun too. WOW just let's you feel lonely and sad in front of a screen.
                          Try a couple racers like F1 just to test fast framerates

Comment

Ok, best games on Steam for a guy with a nice PC and go:
                            Well I'd recommend redownloading Skyrim, and modding the hell out of it using the Steam Workshop. If you only played it on PS3 or something, you will literally not even recognize it if you do it properly... which is pretty easy.

The beauty of Steam for a lot of people is mostly the Valve games - Team Fortress 2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike etc. but the "Green Light" program they have is really cool as well, where there's a lot of games from indy developers up for grabs that are pretty cheap and a lot of fun. I haven't played any of them, but this is what I hear. Other than that, it basically just has all the games you can think of, outside of EA. EA has Origin which is like Steam but worse.
                            Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 7, 2015, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              Well I'd recommend redownloading Skyrim, and modding the hell out of it using the Steam Workshop. If you only played it on PS3 or something, you will literally not even recognize it if you do it properly... which is pretty easy.
                              Second that. Divorce the wife and get started modding that game. Quit your job too. Skytim @ 4K is awesome for a truly boring game. Hundreds of ultra-realistic platters and cups needs to be experienced.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

The beauty of Steam for a lot of people is mostly the Valve games - Team Fortress 2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike etc. but the "Green Light" program they have is really cool as well, where there's a lot of games from indy developers up for grabs that are pretty cheap and a lot of fun. I haven't played any of them, but this is what I hear. Other than that, it basically just has all the games you can think of, outside of EA. EA has Origin which is like Steam but worse.
                                Will do that! I'm also going to buy Morrowind again and mod that. Man, Morrowind brings back great memories from my original Xbox; I still have a real Xbox 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X