The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Last I checked we have the same issues with all of the real championship teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last I checked almost all teams were having problems with the real championship teams.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
      Last I checked almost all teams were having problems with the real championship teams.
      Lol seriously tho I know everyone is happy we just made playoffs but I can't see us winning the big one with this roster. I can live with demars lack of D and keeping Lowry. But that 4 spot is extremely concerning.

Comment

Lol seriously tho I know everyone is happy we just made playoffs but I can't see us winning the big one with this roster. I can live with demars lack of D and keeping Lowry. But that 4 spot is extremely concerning.

Are you suggesting draft a PF or trade for one?

And Chr1s1anL, do not mention Stokes.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
          Are you suggesting draft a PF or trade for one?

And Chr1s1anL, do not mention Stokes.
          Vonlah looks interesting but I don't think he is near ready to step in right away. Free agents is the quick fix solution I see at the moment

Comment

Vonlah looks interesting but I don't think he is near ready to step in right away. Free agents is the quick fix solution I see at the moment

I'm not trying to be a dick... I"m really not..... but....

The bold was Bryan Colangelo's solution each year as well.

Over paying middling talent is a great way to really mess up any forward momentum.

Raps likely aren't winning a championship next season so why go all in for one?

The great part of this team is all of the core have anywhere from 3-10 years of their prime.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Over paying middling talent is a great way to really mess up any forward momentum.

The great part of this team is all of the core have anywhere from 3-10 years of their prime.
              You maybe right...
              Lowry walks and we get nothing which could happen I am not that concerned but we then have 3 position we need to get help for. GV as a starter?

Comment

• People are talking about Stokes here like he's the second coming. We're talking about an UNDER SIZED PF here. And i gotta be honest i've never seen him play but according to his scouting report he played C in Tennessee. Great rebounder, double double machine. Guess what, just because he's a great rebounder/double double machine in college doesn't mean it's gonna translate in the NBA!! he's too SMALL. He's 6'8 for god's sake.

Thomas Robinson was a great rebounder/double double machine in college too. Had a GREAT career in Kansas. Very athletic, tenacious rebounder. Picked 5th overall by Sac a couple of years ago. Look at him now. He's in his 3rd team in 3yrs. 3rd big off the bench for Portland.

Btw, Robinson is 6'9. Stokes is 6'8.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Yup we need to focus on making smart, long-term moves. Tired of BC-era, swing for the fences on an average player only to screw the team over long-term (JO trade cost us Hibbert, Hedo signing killed our cap, etc)

Going out and splurging on a Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza because Ross and DeRozan couldn't guard Joe Johnson would be incredibly short-sighted and foolish.

Draft a SF or get a cheap vet like Carter. Or maybe a cheap young guy like Aminu.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                    Yup we need to focus on making smart, long-term moves. Tired of BC-era, swing for the fences on an average player only to screw the team over long-term (JO trade cost us Hibbert, Hedo signing killed our cap, etc)

Going out and splurging on a Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza because Ross and DeRozan couldn't guard Joe Johnson would be incredibly short-sighted and foolish.

Draft a SF or get a cheap vet like Carter. Or maybe a cheap young guy like Aminu.
                    Exactly If BC was sill here im sure he would of gave Ariza a 4/48mill contract
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• I'd also consider GRIII with our #20

6'7 220lbs 41.5 max vertical 6'10 Wingspan

Comment

You maybe right...
                        Lowry walks and we get nothing which could happen I am not that concerned but we then have 3 position we need to get help for. GV as a starter?

If Lowry tells Ujiri he's not coming back, there's a pretty amicable relationship there. We can definitely negotiate a sign and trade with his new team and possibly get a draft pick in return.

Imo in that case you don't bring back Vasquez unless he's very cheap, and bottom out next season. That may or may not involve DeRozan as well. If you're Ujiri you're going to ask him if he can commit to another 2-3 bad seasons (to which he probably says no) then you flip him for assets as well. Same goes for Amir imo. Then we go into a rebuild with Ross and JV as some young pieces moving forwards as well as our picks.

It's not ideal, but the good thing about Lowry walking is that a lot of our guys have high value right now (particularly DeRozan), so bottoming out for a rebuild would be a solid contingency plan and wouldn't take as long as it would normally.

I don't think Lowry is leaving though.

Comment

Last I checked we have the same issues with all of the real championship teams

I think defensive versatility is more important than pure size. I'd rather have a few of those guys around who can guard a couple positions (and different styles of players at those positions) than the tallest possible guy for a given position. With the current extended core:

Lowry can primarily guard PGs, but you can also put him on some SGs.
                          DeRozan is at his best on SGs and definitely not a multi-position defender.
                          Ross is the best multi-position guard we have, and has been solid at times guarding everyone from PGs to average-sized SFs.
                          Amir can guard PFs and smaller Cs.
                          JV can guard Cs, but is also a one-position defender (very common in Cs).
                          Patterson can guard both stretch and post-up PFs adequately.
                          Vasquez isn't a great defender overall, but showed he can match up well against tall, slow PGs (Livingston). Overall he's a guy you need to hide on defense a bit.

To me, this screams out for a guy who can guard bigger SFs, but you don't want a guy who can guard bigger SFs and nothing else. Ideally, you want a three-position defender who overlaps a bit with Ross but doesn't totally duplicate him; someone who can guard slower SGs, SFs, and stretch 4s.

To me, Grant and Inglis are the two guys in this draft who should be available and potentially project to fit that need. KJ McDaniels projects to be a very good wing defender too, but I don't think he can be the large-SF/stretch 4 defender that Grant and Inglis could be. Using Grant as an example, your 8-man rotation would be based around these units:

Lowry-DeRozan-Ross-Amir-JV (standard starter unit)

Lowry-DeRozan-Grant-Amir-JV (good for if Ross isn't providing offense or is being put in a post-up situation against a bigger wing on defense)

Lowry-Ross-Grant-Amir-JV (top defensive unit with five good defenders, but scoring is an issue - might be better with Patterson + JV, or Amir + Patterson)

Lowry-Vasquez-DeRozan-Johnson-JV (exposes Lowry to taking fouls a bit as the only above-average perimeter defender, but Casey loves his two PG units)

Lowry-Vasquez-Grant-Johnson-JV (a little bit of offensive dropoff but protects Lowry and Vasquez a bit by pairing them with a large, versatile defender)

Vasquez-Ross-Grant-Amir-JV (Best unit for Vasquez, as he's paired with above-average defenders)

Lowry-DeRozan-Ross-Grant-Amir/JV (ultimate small-ball counter, with Lowry, Ross and Grant guarding the best wing player, hiding DeRozan, and then using the appropriate big. But it can also be a small-ball lineup on its own, with Grant guarding an opposing PF.)

Vasquez-DeRozan-Grant-Amir-JV (risky scoring unit with two weaker defenders)

Lowry-DeRozan-Ross-Patterson-Amir (two PF lineup, seemed to do well in playoffs in clutch but I'm not sold on this one; still, I expect to see more of it next year)

I don't list Patterson in any of the lineups above except the last, because he and Amir are similar-enough in role that I'd pretty-much need to duplicate the whole list to show both. In general though, it may make more sense to pair Grant with Patterson because Patterson provides the floor-spacing that Grant doesn't.

Comment

• Don't draft for need, draft for talent.

If Inglis/Grant/whoever are the best on the board then take them. If not then take the best talent.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              I'd also consider GRIII with our #20

6'7 220lbs 41.5 max vertical 6'10 Wingspan
                              similar measurments as demar derozan. I would rather a big small forward like Jerami Grant
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                                similar measurments as demar derozan. I would rather a big small forward like Jerami Grant
                                I don't like Grant because he has zero offense, when he's playing its gonna be 4on5
                                If he could become a capable shooter then I'd take him but his shooting form is messed up

Comment

Working...
                                X