2014 Free Agent Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    I didn't thought about all that... But are you sure of this? And Salmons is paid 7M$. Hansbrough, more than 3M$. If we need to not get those 2 back to get Stephenson, I'd do it anyday.
    Yeah, it's not that simple.. to sign a free agent you have to be under the cap.. waiving Salmon's would get them around the cap... still need another $10M+ (and that's without Lowry) to get Stephenson. Other option is a trade... but the Pacers won't want Tyler/Salmons for him.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      Yeah, it's not that simple.. to sign a free agent you have to be under the cap.. waiving Salmon's would get them around the cap... still need another $10M+ (and that's without Lowry) to get Stephenson. Other option is a trade... but the Pacers won't want Tyler/Salmons for him.
      I'm really new to this kind of stuff... I mean, if we wait until 2015 to make a splash into free agency, how are we going to re-sign JV and Ross when the time comes?

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        I think Monroe would be a huge pick up for us. Basically we would have a great three man rotation of bigs. JV, Amir, and Monroe all could play 30+ minutes. Monroe has the size to play PF/C (6'11, 250), and Amir would be able to stay in the 4 spot, although he has show in the past that he can play the 5.

JV/Monroe/Hayes
        Monroe/Amir/Hansbrough

With we-uping Amir we have roughly 47.5 million tied up (including the cap hold for our 2014 draft pick), with most likely a 59 mil cap.

The only issue is being able to resign Lowry. Are we able to go over the cap to retain him? If we are, we would basically have the midlevel and other exceptions to fill out the roster

JV/Monroe/Hayes
        Monroe/Amir/Hansbrough
        Ross/Fields/Novak
        DeMar/Fields/
        Lowry/

Draft Pick, hopefully a SF, or PG

Midlevel
        Monroe has a good offensive game but he does not play defence.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
          Monroe has a good offensive game but he does not play defence.
          Yeah but our team is a strong defensive team so we could play him and his defense would probably get better
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Ya, lets get rid of this guy

Comment

I'm really new to this kind of stuff... I mean, if we wait until 2015 to make a splash into free agency, how are we going to re-sign JV and Ross when the time comes?
              There is a salary cap. Last year it was $58M. If you want to sign someone else's free agent you need to be below this cap line in order to do so. So let's say you want to sign Lance Stephenson to $10M. In order to do that, the Raptors have to have a team payroll of at least $48M to make an offer (assuming the salary cap is again at $58M but speculation is it will go up).

Payroll numbers can be found here:
              http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

If you look at next years numbers, the team has a payroll of $41M if no options are picked up. But that includes Amir. If Amir comes back, that adds up to $48M. So in theory they could go after a $10M dollar free agent, but the team won't have Lowry, Patterson, GV or Salmons (although Salmons actually adds $1M since that's his buyout amount). There is also a thing called cap holds which means that when a team has their own free agent (like Lowry) there is an imaginary dollar amount that gets placed on the teams cap that could further prevent them from signing another free agent.. in this case Lowry's is $9M. Cap holds can be renounced, but then the 'free agent' can only be resigned if the team is completely under the cap as they would have to give away their Bird Rights to that player.

Bird Rights are special rights that certain players have in which a team can resign that player that was theirs even if they go over the cap. So if the Raptors were at $49M in salary and offered Lowry $12M it can work since he was their free agent (there are some restrictions as to what qualifies a player to have Bird Rights).

So doing the math we have $48M + $1M (Salmons buyout) + $9M (Lowry's cap hold) makes $58M.. at this point they are at the cap and can't sign anyone without using an exception called the Mid-Level Exception. The MLE though has a max limit of about $5.8M which is too little for guys like Lance or Greg to take. The upper bound of this limit ($5.8M) can shrink too if they get close to the luxury tax line which is in the $70M mark.

With JV/Ross they will be RFA's. Another team can make an offer for a restricted free agent, but the Raptors have the option to match and go over the cap if they want to resign them. So Ross/JV are safe (if the Raptors want them). RFA's/players with Bird Rights are how teams go over the cap and get to luxury tax. OKC traded Harden because they were scared of going into luxury tax as they knew other teams would offer him the max and they would have to either pay him the money or watch him leave for nothing. I don't think Toronto has to worry about that since they are owned by billionaires.

In 2015 we have more money to spend since Fields, Hayes, Hansborough's contracts come to an end. Amir though will have to be resigned but I don't see a huge raise (maybe $3M more per year). So in 2015 once Fields's contract is off the books they should be able to go after someone good.

There is always the option to trade as well. If the Raptors for example trade DD, Fields, Amir, Salmons, Hayes all this year they can be free agent spenders in the summer of 2014. I don't think DD or Amir will be traded. Salmons is pretty much an expiring contract, Hayes isn't going to give you much, and Fields is pretty much untradeable unless you include an asset like a first round pick to get rid of him.

We'll see what kind of magic MU will pull off.. he was able to trade two bad contracts in Andrea and Rudy already so he may have something else up his sleeves this summer.

I personally don't think the Raptors have a shot at a good free agent this summer unless we trade someone like Amir or DD for them.

Comment

There are ways to get under the cap without pulling a trade.. The Raps can use an amnesty clause called the stretch provision that can take an existing salary and chop it down.. so if they want to waive Fields they can spread his payments to 2 times + 1 year his contract amount Or in his case three years... which means his cap hit will be 1/3 of $6.25M or $2.08M.. so MU has options

Comment

Thanks for the info, generally too lazy to analyze nuances of the salary cap myself That being said, I'm happy to be patient, not sure I'd be keen on paying big for any of those players listed in the OP, I'm sure there are more key free agents this summer than that, though.

Comment

Thank you Planetmars for your great answer. With that being said, that means that even with a salary cap, teams owned by richer owners are ''avantagées'' (sorry I'm tired and I can't find the good word in english)?..

As for Amir, you predict a 3M$ raise, saying it's not a huge raise... 10M$ per year for Amir Johnson? Really? I really like the player and the dude but I think it would be too much money for a player of his caliber, even though he's a huge part of our team's success.

Comment

Thank you Planetmars for your great answer. With that being said, that means that even with a salary cap, teams owned by richer owners are ''avantagées'' (sorry I'm tired and I can't find the good word in english)?..

As for Amir, you predict a 3M$ raise, saying it's not a huge raise... 10M$ per year for Amir Johnson? Really? I really like the player and the dude but I think it would be too much money for a player of his caliber, even though he's a huge part of our team's success.
                      Yeah $10M might be to much... but bigs get paid well, especially starting caliber bigs.

Comment

When is Po a free agent i'll take 2
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd like us to go after Thabo Sefolosha this summer. As our starter at the 3 or as a backup, I think he'd fit really well on this team. I also really like Jordan Hill from the Lakers.

Valanciunas/Hansbrough/Hayes
                          Johnson/Patterson/Hill
                          Sefolosha/Rookie/Novak
                          DeRozan/Ross/Fields
                          Lowry/Vasquez/Rookie

I'd like to see this team on the floor next season. Then in 2015 it will be time to make a real splash in free agency.

Comment

I'd like us to go after Thabo Sefolosha this summer. As our starter at the 3 or as a backup, I think he'd fit really well on this team. I also really like Jordan Hill from the Lakers.

Johnson/Patterson/Hill
                            Sefolosha/Rookie/Novak
                            DeRozan/Ross/Fields
                            Lowry/Vasquez/Rookie

I'd like to see this team on the floor next season. Then in 2015 it will be time to make a real splash in free agency.
                            thabo would be great. unfortunately he's in a pretty good situation in OKC right now though. unless they completely low ball him, i don't know if he'll leave
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Johnson/Patterson/Hill
                              Sefolosha/Rookie/Novak
                              DeRozan/Ross/Fields
                              Lowry/Vasquez/Rookie

That's a pretty solid team
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                                That's a pretty solid team
                                Sarcasm or you really agree with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X