2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    I see decolo maybe going back to sanantonio. Is it just me or does he look misplaced and scared on the bench. There might be like a chemistry issue here. In sanantonio he's got his French brothers diaw and Parker.
    I don't think so. I read he wanted out of San Antonio because he wasn't getting consistent minutes and he seemed pretty happy to be here. Was just a tough situation as he got there whilst the team were pushing for playoff position and already had a good collection of guards (apart from one that will remain nameless)

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
      We're only saying he would have some value as an expiring.
      Probably not until mid-season or even the trade deadline, and even then it would be marginal.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        No, that rule only applies to rookie contract extensions. Both Patterson and GV would be signing as free agents.
        Both Patterson and Vasquez are coming off their rookie contracts.

Rookie scale contract extensions:

Rookie scale contracts may be extended for up to four seasons beyond the last option season in the contract, bringing the total contract length to five seasons. Teams can also select one player (called their "Designated Player") who can receive a five-year extension, bringing the total contract length to six seasons. A team can have at most one player on its roster whom they have designated for a longer extension, plus at most one player designated by another team whom they acquired in trade.

For example, the Oklahoma City Thunder extended Russell Westbrook's rookie scale contract in 2011 (with the extension taking effect in 2012-13). They selected Westbrook as their Designated Player and extended him through 2016-17 (five new years, six total). The Thunder therefore are not allowed to designate another player for a five-year extension (Kevin Durant signed his five-year extension under the 2005 CBA) until 2017, as long as Westbrook is on their roster. However, they can trade for one (and only one) player who was designated by another team.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
        Guys like Larry Sanders (or anyone who signed an extension prior to the start of their 4th NBA season) all signed 4 year extensions. However the wording of the CBA calls them 5 year extensions (year 4 of rookie contract + 4 more years).

Guys like Roy Hibbert (or anyone who signed an extension at the conclusion of their 4th season and prior to start of 5th season) all signed 4 year extensions. In the case of HIbbert it was only 4 years because the Pacers were saving the designation for Paul George.

As the bit on OKC above describes, only one player is permitted a 5 year extension off rookie deal.

The wording is similar to extensions in general, coming off rookie or other contract. Lowry could be extended for 4 seasons but until June 30th, year one of that extension would have been 2013-14... even though the season was ongoing (and he was under contract old contract) or, as it is now, over. So in reality it would have been a 3 year extension which is why he'll wait until July 1st when it will be a true 4 year extension.

So my point stands: GV and PP can only be signed to a maximum of a 4 year extension after July 1st. To add that 5th year would be a waste and the Raps would have to choose just one of them.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Both Patterson and Vasquez are coming off their rookie contracts.

Guys like Larry Sanders (or anyone who signed an extension prior to the start of their 4th NBA season) all signed 4 year extensions. However the wording of the CBA calls them 5 year extensions (year 4 of rookie contract + 4 more years).

Guys like Roy Hibbert (or anyone who signed an extension at the conclusion of their 4th season and prior to start of 5th season) all signed 4 year extensions. In the case of HIbbert it was only 4 years because the Pacers were saving the designation for Paul George.

As the bit on OKC above describes, only one player is permitted a 5 year extension off rookie deal.

The wording is similar to extensions in general, coming off rookie or other contract. Lowry could be extended for 4 seasons but until June 30th, year one of that extension would have been 2013-14... even though the season was ongoing (and he was under contract old contract) or, as it is now, over. So in reality it would have been a 3 year extension which is why he'll wait until July 1st when it will be a true 4 year extension.

So my point stands: GV and PP can only be signed to a maximum of a 4 year extension after July 1st. To add that 5th year would be a waste and the Raps would have to choose just one of them.
          No. Note that you are talking about extensions. Neither Patterson nor Vasquez is eligible for an extension. They are free agents. They are signing a new contract, not an extension. Rookie extensions can only be signed PRIOR to the last season of the rookie contract. See the table at the start of the extensions section in CBAFAQ.

Hibbert didn't sign an extension, he became a free agent, and signed an offer sheet with another team, which the Pacers matched (hence the 4 year length).
          Last edited by DanH; Wed May 7, 2014, 07:38 AM.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

No. Note that you are talking about extensions. Neither Patterson nor Vasquez is eligible for an extension. They are free agents. They are signing a new contract, not an extension. Rookie extensions can only be signed PRIOR to the last season of the rookie contract.
            Right you are.

I was searching for an example and couldn't find anything other than 4 years until I found Pekovic who signed for 5.

Comment

Right you are.

I was searching for an example and couldn't find anything other than 4 years until I found Pekovic who signed for 5.
              Yeah, there aren't many examples, since most often (and this is a point you've brought up often in talking about Wiggins) teams tend to extend rookie scale guys rather than let them go to free agency if they like the player. And if they can't come to an agreement on an extension, they usually can't come to terms on a free agent contract either, then typically the player ends up signing an offer sheet from another team, thus limiting them to 4 years.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, there aren't many examples, since most often (and this is a point you've brought up often in talking about Wiggins) teams tend to extend rookie scale guys rather than let them go to free agency if they like the player. And if they can't come to an agreement on an extension, they usually can't come to terms on a free agent contract either, then typically the player ends up signing an offer sheet from another team, thus limiting them to 4 years.
                Whooot, there it is.

Hibbert, Batum, Gordon, Teague all examples in recent years.

Comment

Yes I had already read that. Notice first few sentences:

A team's cap room (referred to simply as "room" in the CBA) refers to its ability to sign players to free agent contracts. If a team is above the cap, then its room is limited to the exceptions it possesses. If the team is below the cap, then its room is how far it is below the cap when all salaries and cap holds are included.

Again, free agent reference. I'm talking trades.
                  Notice the above bolded is the only definition of "above the cap" and "below the cap" in the CBAFAQ. Also, shortly afterwards, this line clarifies:

A team $5 million under the cap with $6 million in cap holds is not considered under the cap at all
                  Now see this definition of when trades can occur:

Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they don't finish more than $100,000 above the salary cap following any trade. But if a team finishes more than $100,000 over the cap, whether they started out above or below the cap, then an exception is required.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Whooot, there it is.

Hibbert, Batum, Gordon, Teague all examples in recent years.
                    Yeah. Mind you, that's no reason to be concerned about GV and PP, thankfully. There was never an opportunity for Ujiri to negotiate an extension with them, so there's every possibility that negotiations will go smoothly.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Notice the above bolded is the only definition of "above the cap" and "below the cap" in the CBAFAQ. Also, shortly afterwards, this line clarifies:

Now see this definition of when trades can occur:
                      Sweet.

2 things learned today.

mcHAPPY day indeed.

Comment

• I feel like the main move the Raptors need to do is get a guy who can play at the 3 & 4 spot. Maybe even a guy who can take over Ross's spot. A Cornerman would help this team out greatly. I like most of our unit but I don't feel Ross is good enough to be our full time guy at the SF spot. Just my $ 0.02.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Todays random thought for the 2014 off-season Compendium. Yes, we can look back at this season as a success because of our spirited playoff run. But it's kind of funny to think what the greatest success of the year was. We traded Rudy Gay. For useful pieces, no less. Don't get me wrong, I was all over bringing Gay to the Raps. But could you imagine if we were now sitting in the off season filling this forum with the uncertainty of whether he was going to opt in for his 19 million dollar extension? Much hair would have been pulled out by this point and it's only the beginning of May. This is not meant to rehash the worth of Rudy Gay...just a reminder of why raptor life is a bit brighter today. WhatMasaiSaid.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            Todays random thought for the 2014 off-season Compendium. Yes, we can look back at this season as a success because of our spirited playoff run. But it's kind of funny to think what the greatest success of the year was. We traded Rudy Gay. For useful pieces, no less. Don't get me wrong, I was all over bringing Gay to the Raps. But could you imagine if we were now sitting in the off season filling this forum with the uncertainty of whether he was going to opt in for his 19 million dollar extension? Much hair would have been pulled out by this point and it's only the beginning of May. This is not meant to rehash the worth of Rudy Gay...just a reminder of why raptor life is a bit brighter today. WhatMasaiSaid.
                            Is Gay's contract THE worst max contract in the history of the NBA?

Joe Johnson is a 7-time allstar at least.

Amare a 6-time allstar.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Is Gay's contract THE worst max contract in the history of the NBA?

Joe Johnson is a 7-time allstar at least.

Amare a 6-time allstar.
                              Gilbert Arenas?
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                Gilbert Arenas?
                                Even he was an allstar and all-nba team member.

Comment

Working...
                                X