X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

like in 2000? or you mean last year for the world's? i was going off memory but i thought the world's was a pretty big commitment last year... like wasn't there a camp and then they played a bunch of exhibition games in europe before heading over to jakarta?

maybe you're right about his team letting him come. personally would rather have thompson or several of the other bigs we might be able to bring than edey, anyway
    Not 2000 the world's. I figure there won't be exhibitions this year because teams will be playing qualifiers to get in and we don't have to do that. Not sure though. But yeah the training camp was a week out.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

I tried to figure out how far out they do training camp and last time ours started 7 days before the tournament.

This is a unique situation. No USA born players are up for their Olympic team the year they are drafted. I'm pretty sure foreign born players usually do play for their squad if they are part of it because they are so important to the team. Edey will be a bench guy unlikely to get many minutes so I don't think he could force the issue that way. I'd rather have Tristan Thompson anyways since he is down to play.
    like in 2000? or you mean last year for the world's? i was going off memory but i thought the world's was a pretty big commitment last year... like wasn't there a camp and then they played a bunch of exhibition games in europe before heading over to jakarta?

maybe you're right about his team letting him come. personally would rather have thompson or several of the other bigs we might be able to bring than edey, anyway

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Shredder wrote: View Post

Is he allowed to play?

I thought he got busted for PED's.

The olympics is/are way more strict on that stuff.

Is he even eligible?
    As long as he's clean for Paris he will be fine. He's been back in the NBA since his suspension and I doubt he screws up again.

On the other hand the Canadian Olympic committee may not allow him to play. But if he talked to Jordi and Rowan and they are cool with it then I'm sure he'll get approved.

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I was looking up Tristan Thompson and Canada basketball.. I found this article where the reporter interviews TT back in January:
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...ck-to-the-nba/

Would be awesome if he does show up.

Also found out that he's the Special Olympics Global Ambassador. So kudos to him for that role.
    Is he allowed to play?

I thought he got busted for PED's.

The olympics is/are way more strict on that stuff.

Is he even eligible?

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

i agree with PM and would be surprised if edey went. teams usually want their draft picks at the summer league picking up their system as soon as possible. probably even more true for a polarizing prospect like edey.

if the men's ball starts on the 27th i imagine basketball activities will pick up before the end of summer league on the 22nd. they'll probably already be in europe by then
    I tried to figure out how far out they do training camp and last time ours started 7 days before the tournament.

This is a unique situation. No USA born players are up for their Olympic team the year they are drafted. I'm pretty sure foreign born players usually do play for their squad if they are part of it because they are so important to the team. Edey will be a bench guy unlikely to get many minutes so I don't think he could force the issue that way. I'd rather have Tristan Thompson anyways since he is down to play.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    I was looking up Tristan Thompson and Canada basketball.. I found this article where the reporter interviews TT back in January:

Also found out that he's the Special Olympics Global Ambassador. So kudos to him for that role.
    NeedTristanThompson . The prophecy will soon be fulfilled.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

A Team Canada reunion?

Speaking of teams that could conceivably use Thompson’s help, the Canadian senior men’s national team qualified for the 2024 Paris Olympics after winning bronze at the 2023 FIBA World Cup last summer. Thompson said it was “great” to watch Canada win bronze and to see “all the effort and hard work that everyone’s put in through the years [pay off].” Adding that “it just doesn't start this summer. It started, you know, 15 years ago, and just kept building from there.”

After representing Canada at every chance he got since he was 17 years old at the 2008 FIBA America’s under-18 championship — aside from his draft year in 2011 and in 2015, when he was waiting on a contract extension from the Cavaliers — Thompson has not suited up for the red and white since the 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying tournament in the Philippines, where he was the starting centre for a Canadian team that lost in the final to France. Despite also not committing to Canada Basketball’s three-year summer core announced in 2021, Thompson is interested in joining the team for its first Olympic Games since 2000, saying: “Yeah, I’ll play in Paris. I talked Rowan [Barrett], talked to Jordi [Fernandez]. So, we're talking, we're talking.”

Coincidentally, Team Canada’s one historical weakness is size and rebounding at the frontcourt positions, where Dwight Powell was its only reliable centre at the World Cup. And Thompson sees a lot of similarities between the needs of the Cavaliers and the ones Team Canada could have this summer, assuming it allows him to fight for a highly coveted spot on the 12-man roster headed to Paris.

“I mean, we saw the areas that our team needs to get better at,” Thompson said. “You saw it. So, I think it's a lot of similarities between why I came back to Cleveland and with Team Canada, both teams kind of need the same thing.

“So, I think I fit that calling card.”

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

Could be an issue. The men's basketball runs July 27th to August 10th. So ultimately not that much time away from his new team. Summer league is done July 22nd so no overlap. Olympic training camp will probably only be the week before the Olympics so I think he can easily do both. If I was the team that drafted him I'd want him going to the Olympics. It's great prep for the NBA season.
    i agree with PM and would be surprised if edey went. teams usually want their draft picks at the summer league picking up their system as soon as possible. probably even more true for a polarizing prospect like edey.

if the men's ball starts on the 27th i imagine basketball activities will pick up before the end of summer league on the 22nd. they'll probably already be in europe by then

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    glad to see nembhard is expected to play. doubt he sees any floor time over cojo though.

also surprised to see wiggins on the list, but that's good news and this team is going to have a lot of depth at guard and on the wings.

def need to spend the last roster spots on bigs.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

The biggest issue with Edey is not if he should get invite or not (he should).. it's if he wants to come. As a new rookie he may feel obligated to concentrate 100% on his new team and what they need from him. If that team can excuse him for a couple of months then great.. but it's rare for a new NBA rookie to make a World Cup/Olympic team.
    Could be an issue. The men's basketball runs July 27th to August 10th. So ultimately not that much time away from his new team. Summer league is done July 22nd so no overlap. Olympic training camp will probably only be the week before the Olympics so I think he can easily do both. If I was the team that drafted him I'd want him going to the Olympics. It's great prep for the NBA season.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Have we completely forgot about Edey? we need bigs and he's a legit big. He has to be on the team.

My preference starting C is Thompson but I don't really know what's going on with him.
    The biggest issue with Edey is not if he should get invite or not (he should).. it's if he wants to come. As a new rookie he may feel obligated to concentrate 100% on his new team and what they need from him. If that team can excuse him for a couple of months then great.. but it's rare for a new NBA rookie to make a World Cup/Olympic team.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Have we completely forgot about Edey? we need bigs and he's a legit big. He has to be on the team.

My preference starting C is Thompson but I don't really know what's going on with him.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    TomAmnot wrote: View Post
    but where is Khem right now?
    Bàsquet Girona Spanish Liga

Leave a comment:

• TomAmnot
    replied
    but where is Khem right now?

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Probably not a popular big man name around these parts is: Khem Birch. He did play for Team Canada a few years back in a summer where he was entering a contract year. He seemed pretty proud to wear the Maple Leaf.
    Khem makes sense as a depth big. If Kelly or Powell are in foul trouble or hurt Khem is a decent option to fill in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X