No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like this tournament is the U.S and everyone else playing for second .. Canada goes undefeated ( not without a lot of hard
    work ) and is off to the finals to meet the U.S in the Finals ..

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        Canada was well and truly spanked. They looked like teenagers playing against men. The American players were taller, heavier, faster and stronger, by and large. But I didn't see basic aspects of offense or defense being used. The Canadian players couldn't box out, couldn't defeat a full-court press, didn't set effective screens and consistently passed the ball right into the hands of the American players. Having said that, the American team was very good individually and also as a team. Obviously. They had a lead of 45 points or so at the end of the first quarter. Credit to the Canadian players for continuing to fight the entire game. I didn't see any letup in effort. Games like this remind you that the US has ten times the population of Canada and an even higher percentage of young players to choose from.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Canada was well and truly spanked. They looked like teenagers playing against men. The American players were taller, heavier, faster and stronger, by and large. But I didn't see basic aspects of offense or defense being used. The Canadian players couldn't box out, couldn't defeat a full-court press, didn't set effective screens and consistently passed the ball right into the hands of the American players. Having said that, the American team was very good individually and also as a team. Obviously. They had a lead of 45 points or so at the end of the first quarter. Credit to the Canadian players for continuing to fight the entire game. I didn't see any letup in effort. Games like this remind you that the US has ten times the population of Canada and an even higher percentage of young players to choose from.
          I watched the first quarter, didn't start until after 11 in Nova Scotia so I was not staying up to watch the debacle. The press killed them early and often. Many times it appeared that the Canadians just passed the ball right to the Americans, no teammate even close to receiving the pass. As a coach I try to tech my players about the importance of a dead-ball turnover vs. a live-ball turnover. I would rather them eat the ball and get a 5 second call than throw it away for an uncontested layup. This U16 squad could have benefitted from that.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

I watched the first quarter, didn't start until after 11 in Nova Scotia so I was not staying up to watch the debacle. The press killed them early and often. Many times it appeared that the Canadians just passed the ball right to the Americans, no teammate even close to receiving the pass. As a coach I try to tech my players about the importance of a dead-ball turnover vs. a live-ball turnover. I would rather them eat the ball and get a 5 second call than throw it away for an uncontested layup. This U16 squad could have benefitted from that.
            I watched it and first of all I couldn't believe these were 16 year old's .. Second it looked like a Senior basketball teams playing Freshmen .. Often in blow outs you might see some lazy plays cause players just trying to get points but this blow out it seemed the Americans defense was never going to let up ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

I watched it and first of all I couldn't believe these were 16 year old's .. Second it looked like a Senior basketball teams playing Freshmen .. Often in blow outs you might see some lazy plays cause players just trying to get points but this blow out it seemed the Americans defense was never going to let up ..
              I wonder why the Americans never put it to any other team like this?
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

...The press killed them early and often. Many times it appeared that the Canadians just passed the ball right to the Americans, no teammate even close to receiving the pass. As a coach, I try to teach my players about the importance of a dead-ball turnover vs. a live-ball turnover. I would rather them eat the ball and get a 5 second call than throw it away for an uncontested layup...
                They made numerous other very basic mistakes as I mentioned in my post. Constantly losing the battle for interior position on defensive rebounds was a result of the American's size and strength I believe. But it is all grist for the mill. Now they know how much they have to improve. Ideally, it helps provide focus. Hopefully, we will hear some Canadian-born NBA player saying, in 5 or 6 years, "It was in the Gold medal game against the Americans in Yucatan that I realized how far I had to go. Since then it has been just putting in the work every day. And now here I am. It was worth it."

Comment

I wonder why the Americans never put it to any other team like this?
                  Maybe a rivilary has started between these 2 teams in the FIBA americas and the Americans have
                  an extra juice when they play .

Comment

• USA is going young:

If Shai and Murray suit up we'll arguably have a better back court.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      USA is going young:

If Shai and Murray suit up we'll arguably have a better back court.
                      USA is already qualified for the Olympics, they have the luxury of sending the C squad.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

USA is already qualified for the Olympics, they have the luxury of sending the C squad.
                        Yeah I know, but placement at the FIBA tourney will impact seeding in the Olympics. Plus who's to say they don't use the same team for the Olympics?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah I know, but placement at the FIBA tourney will impact seeding in the Olympics. Plus who's to say they don't use the same team for the Olympics?
                          100% they will not use that team for the Olympics. This is the C squad. Maybe some guys from here make the Olympic team but definitely not this whole team.

This squad is still good enough to win the cup, and will place high enough even if they don't.

Comment

• Wemby skipping the world cup:
                            https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-rookie-season

Significant because France is in Canada's pool.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Confused as to why you say this . How is the U.S already qualified . This World Cup is the 1st
                              cylce of qualifying for the Olympics ..

The top two finishers in the FIBA Americas group of teams in this World Cup will automatic
                              get a berth to the Olympics .

Comment

• Canada is playing in the Worlds Under 19 .. 1 - 2 record but they didn't play our 7'7 centre Olivier RIOUX

Comment

Working...
                                X