X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R.
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Ep. 7 and 8 were the best yet. The emotion in Jordan's voice and the tears in his eyes as he talked about his competitive fire at the end of episode 7 proved how crazy he is. Holy shit.
    That's what really made me rethink him checking out after each three-peat. The documentary does a really good job showing how intense he was - both in the day to day and with his basketball career overall, the emotional roller coaster of his personal life, the organizational drama, and the intensity of his celebrity status and the media attention. It was all just nuts. Guy needed to step back. Imagine trying to live a life in the middle of all that while also functioning with that competitive intensity. Just not sustainable over 12-15 years without interruption.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I think he's not good as an owner because it's an entirely different skill set required to identify talent, understand personalities and fit that to the system you want to run.

As a player he didn't have much input on who was in the trenches with him until they arrived for practice. He would force out those who couldn't hack the pressure cooker he built. Totally different world being on the court and in the head office. I bet you he secretly has much more respect for Jerry now than he did back then.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

"My teammates can never say, that I ever asked anything of them that I wouldnt do my fucking self"

The way he said that gave me goosebumps. And then the clips of all the ecstatic bulls winning players celebrating throughout the years that have that asshole to thank. Great stuff
    It's also why he'd make a terrible coach and likely owner. Many truly elite players can't understand why others don't have the same talent and drive they did.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Ep. 7 and 8 were the best yet. The emotion in Jordan's voice and the tears in his eyes as he talked about his competitive fire at the end of episode 7 proved how crazy he is. Holy shit.
    "My teammates can never say, that I ever asked anything of them that I wouldnt do my fucking self"

The way he said that gave me goosebumps. And then the clips of all the ecstatic bulls winning players celebrating throughout the years that have that asshole to thank. Great stuff

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    I see a lot of parallels in the 94 bulls and this years raps. Scrappy, played as a team, chip on their shoulder, shared the ball, everyone got shots, fun group. They lost to the eventual east finalists in 7 games in the 2nd round. We may never get a chance to play out our script.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Yeah, watching all this through I'm thinking that insane intensity wasn't sustainable, that's why he had to take what turned out to be a couple breaks instead of playing right through. Just being pissed and trying to crush people all the time, from training camp through to the Finals, that's damn hard to sustain. Then put the media pressure and 24/7 attention on top of that, then the tragedy with his dad... No wonder the guy needed to step back. I don't think even MJ could be MJ for 15 NBA years straight.

Interesting takes on his baseball hiatus showing some promise, I was basically a kid and my memory was it was more or less a joke.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    One GLARING exemption from episode 7 of the Last Dance was the coverage of the game 5 phantom call by Hue Hollins vs. Knicks. They covered the Pippen incident why not that too? it was a pivotal moment in the series. Pippen's Bulls got screwed by Hollins that year. They would have won that series in six games. Hollins stole that from the Bulls with a BS foul call.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

The a-hole leadership style only works when you're winning and teammates/followers perceive that you are like 99% of the reason for success. Breaking up the team before the inevitable downfall was probably the greatest gift the 2 Jerrys gave to MJ, in terms of freezing his Bulls legacy in time, as a winner & champion for all eternity. It just adds to the myth and legend that nobody would have ever knocked off that championship team... only Krause's ego.
    Yeah, just forget about his Wiz era. lol

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Or his daughter iirc
    I get the kids being left out cause they would have all been young and wouldn't have much to add but the wife would have lots to say I suspect. Though, I suppose her divorce settlement probably limits her somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

The a-hole leadership style only works when you're winning and teammates/followers perceive that you are like 99% of the reason for success. Breaking up the team before the inevitable downfall was probably the greatest gift the 2 Jerrys gave to MJ, in terms of freezing his Bulls legacy in time, as a winner & champion for all eternity. It just adds to the myth and legend that nobody would have ever knocked off that championship team... only Krause's ego.
    Yeah, that approach typically has a pretty short shelf life. It also usually leaves devastation in its wake. Guess the latter part was no different in Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

Fair point and the ex isn't in the film at all. In fact, I don't think there has even been a passing reference to her.
    Or his daughter iirc

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

His personal life wasn't exactly "together" $168M divorce nothwithstanding lol
    Fair point and the ex isn't in the film at all. In fact, I don't think there has even been a passing reference to her.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

What's really interesting to me is that he was able to maintain it for so long. I know a few guys in my industry who are very similar in their mentality and to a man they all burned out relatively young and/or had disastrous personal lives. That he held it all together while being a huge celebrity and kept on winning is pretty incredible.
    His personal life wasn't exactly "together" $168M divorce nothwithstanding lol

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

What's really interesting to me is that he was able to maintain it for so long. I know a few guys in my industry who are very similar in their mentality and to a man they all burned out relatively young and/or had disastrous personal lives. That he held it all together while being a huge celebrity and kept on winning is pretty incredible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X