2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 End of Season / Playoffs

I thought I should create a new thread so we can talk about any potential changes the league is considering if the NBA is to resume play.

Yesterday, Windohorst mentioned the possible idea of just allowing the 16 playoff teams to play with no conferences. So the Raptors (3rd best team) would face the Grizzlies (the 14th) best team in the first round, and so on:

In this scenario, the Raptors would potentially play the Grizzlies, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks on their road to a chip.

Comment

Today, the ringer has a new article up with an even more radical proposition that the league is considering:
      https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...tart-world-cup

The 16 current playoff teams would qualify for the group stage, plus the four teams with the next-best records (Trail Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, and Spurs). The remaining 10 teams would be done for the season. The survey sent to each general manager noted that “tiers” would first be created using the regular-season standings to ensure competitive balance between the groups.

For example, the 20 teams could be allocated into five tiers in descending order by record:
      Tier 1: Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers
      Tier 2: Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, Heat
      Tier 3: Thunder, Rockets, Pacers, Sixers
      Tier 4: Mavericks, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic
      Tier 5: Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs

Groups could then be randomly drawn, with one team from each tier going into each group.
      Teams would play opponents within their own groups twice, meaning every team would play eight games. The two teams in each group with the best record would move on. A tie-breaking procedure has yet to be settled on, but utilizing the highest winning percentage from the regular season would be a logical first option. The league could then use its existing tiebreakers to determine playoff seedings, with head-to-head records being the next criterion.
      So only 8 teams move on into the playoffs.. best two teams from each group stage.

Apparently EC owners are not too happy about this idea though.

Comment

Here is an example of a possible draw (as mentioned in the article):

Raptors would play the Celtics, Thunder, Mavs and Spurs 2x each in this scenario.. The best two teams move on into the playoff round.

Comment

Im in favour of just the regular East/West 1-8. Espicially not the round robin thats just stupid IMO and is a whole different type of tournament.
          The 1-16 we lose alot of the really good 1st round matchups we were setting up for.
          Celtics/Sixers and Heat/Thunder are the only good match ups IMO. Jazz/rockets and Dallas/Clips could be fun but i think Clips and Houston still win handily.
          In the orginal setup we still get celtics/sixers and dallas/clips plus Heat/pacers, Den/hous, Utah/Okc. This would be a hell of a first round
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
            Im in favour of just the regular East/West 1-8. Espicially not the round robin thats just stupid IMO and is a whole different type of tournament.
            The 1-16 we lose alot of the really good 1st round matchups we were setting up for.
            Celtics/Sixers and Heat/Thunder are the only good match ups IMO. Jazz/rockets and Dallas/Clips could be fun but i think Clips and Houston still win handily.
            In the orginal setup we still get celtics/sixers and dallas/clips plus Heat/pacers, Den/hous, Utah/Okc. This would be a hell of a first round
            I'd like them to just keep it the same way too.. but without any "home" gym, and all the teams in one location, I could see the NBA doing something different.. like they did at the ASG.

If they go different, I'd prefer 1-16 no conferences, then the group stage format. That's just way too gimmicky.

Comment

All of these proposed gimmicky scenarios shows how little confidence the NBA has in its product.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Today, the ringer has a new article up with an even more radical proposition that the league is considering:
                https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...tart-world-cup

So only 8 teams move on into the playoffs.. best two teams from each group stage.

Apparently EC owners are not too happy about this idea though.
                Looks too convoluted and too big of a departure from the original format. That said, we're TIER 1 dawgs.

Comment

The World Cup format sounds like insanity. Giving Sacramento or Portland a shot at making it to the Conference Semifinals???
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                    The World Cup format sounds like insanity. Giving Sacramento or Portland a shot at making it to the Conference Semifinals???
                    And portland would be a team that i would be scared about. Dame is the type of guy who could just get hot and drop 40 a game for the round robin.
                    Does portland deserve to be one of the final 8 teams based on 2 hot weeks of Dame? i dont think so

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

And portland would be a team that i would be scared about. Dame is the type of guy who could just get hot and drop 40 a game for the round robin.
                      Does portland deserve to be one of the final 8 teams based on 2 hot weeks of Dame? i dont think so
                      Apparently he won't play if he doesn't have a shot of making the playoffs:

Kind of lame attitude, but whatever.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Apparently he won't play if he doesn't have a shot of making the playoffs:

Kind of lame attitude, but whatever.
                        Compare it to Jordan's attitude of how he played hard every game cause some kid might be seeing him for the only time and he wanted to put on a great show.

This kind of stuff is going to really hurt the league if these stars keep it up.

Comment

The format will obviously depend on how many teams are gonna be in. The scenario where 30 teams go back to play 5 more games to make 70 is extremely unlikely. That would be a lot harder logistically, not to mention some of the teams are pretty much out of playoff contention already, and might even prefer to sit out.

The argument for the 20 team vs 16 teams is that the extra 4 "tag-along" teams were only a handful of games (4 at most) out of the 8th spot, so they still had a reasonable shot to get in if the season had gone normally. They're all west teams (Blazers, Pels, Kings and Spurs). I see the reasoning behind it, but I also feel it would water down the process, and would be too big of change from the standard format.

I think the best way is stick to top 16, which is the standard cutoff, and have your traditional 7 games series that teams have expected and prepared for throughout the year. I'm okay either going the traditional East-West, or seed 1-16. I think team's/fan's preferences will depend largely on how easier or harder one way is over the other for their respective teams. If you take away that bias, both options seem fair game now that traveling won't be an issue.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
                            The format will obviously depend on how many teams are gonna be in. The scenario where 30 teams go back to play 5 more games to make 70 is extremely unlikely. That would be a lot harder logistically, not to mention some of the teams are pretty much out of playoff contention already, and might even prefer to sit out.

The argument for the 20 team vs 16 teams is that the extra 4 "tag-along" teams were only a handful of games (4 at most) out of the 8th spot, so they still had a reasonable shot to get in if the season had gone normally. They're all west teams (Blazers, Pels, Kings and Spurs). I see the reasoning behind it, but I also feel it would water down the process, and would be too big of change from the standard format.

I think the best way is stick to top 16, which is the standard cutoff, and have your traditional 7 games series that teams have expected and prepared for throughout the year. I'm okay either going the traditional East-West, or seed 1-16. I think team's/fan's preferences will depend largely on how easier or harder one way is over the other for their respective teams. If you take away that bias, both options seem fair game now that traveling won't be an issue.
                            Id be okay with something like the wildcard in MLB. 9 and 10th seed in each confrence get to come. They play a single elimination game. Winner gets a best of 3 vs 8th seed. While all this is going on the other playoff teams play cross conference exhibition games that are aired on T.V. Raps vs Grizz Lakers Nets etc. That can help return some tv revenue and help teams get into game shape

Comment

The NHL has announced it will return with a modified 24-team playoffs. NBA isn’t the only league tinkering right now
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                              X