No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors @ Charlotte Hornets, Dec 12 2020 -- Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malachi had no Summer League so that's very impressive for a rookie.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I know its exhibition and +/- isnt the best indicator but id love to know the last time a raptor ended the game with a +35 (flynn)

Comment

• I know it's just 1 preseason game but Thomas looks much more well rounded than just a catch and shoot guy. Right spots on D, good court vision, good passes, just a good overall nuanced feel for the game.

There was a tweet somewhere saying that when he was on the court, raps grabbed more offensive boards, and reduced the number of offensive boards the opponent got (putting us around the 93rd percentile or something on that metric)

What that says is when the ball goes up (on our glass or the opponent's ), Thomas is effectively boxing someone out, taking them out play until the possession is secured.

That's a good fundamental skill that many coaches emphasize: When the ball goes up, just don't stare at it going up - box someone out to open up a well around the ball walled by your teammates, so either you or one of them grabs the board.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

He did nothing wrong he is just small he ain’t guarding anyone in this league.

well he did do something but it’s not his fault he is small the guards were moving past him like he wasn’t even there it’s the first game tho. But my impression was we need rim defence badly and Flynn and Harris are to small
          Flynn definitely allowed some drives, but it was moreso because he took bad angles on closeouts rotating from help position. When he was set in good defensive position to begin with I actually really liked his defense. He doesnt have the base Lowry or even Fred have which may limit him against bigger players, buts hes much more rangy and moves his feet well. Got turned around a time or two, but its his first game, im not concerned. Once he irons a couple things out he should be playing 10-12 minutes imo.

Boucher + Baynes were a bit disappointing but Ill reserve judgement on any of the bigs until they play with Lowry.

TD, Thomas showed about what youd expect, lights out shooting. Both can be electric with quick triggers but I kind of prefer Thomas to begin with, think he plays a bit quicker and is very aware of his role and doesnt try to do too much.

OG was probably the best Raptor today and man if he keeps up his trajectory he could end up the best of the core long term. How they used him suggests he will definitely see more usage, still a very good shooter and looked to have some more strength with much improved footwork to actually finish drives. Most impressive to me though was when he boxed out both Hayward and PJ Washington for a board - saw that and figured he’ll be starting center come playoffs.

Siakam + Norm were meh though I liked Fred more than most did. Came out with a steal on the first possession and showed me he improved a little bit. I was skeptical he’d hit a wall but I think hes got further to go.

Comment

• We won I am happy about that but when I watch I watch with what if this was the playoffs against the lakers or Boston Miami our defense is not even close to ready

Comment

We won I am happy about that but when I watch I watch with what if this was the playoffs against the lakers or Boston Miami our defense is not even close to ready
              No shit. It’s the first pre season game.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Flynn definitely allowed some drives, but it was moreso because he took bad angles on closeouts rotating from help position. When he was set in good defensive position to begin with I actually really liked his defense. He doesnt have the base Lowry or even Fred have which may limit him against bigger players, buts hes much more rangy and moves his feet well. Got turned around a time or two, but its his first game, im not concerned. Once he irons a couple things out he should be playing 10-12 minutes imo.

Boucher + Baynes were a bit disappointing but Ill reserve judgement on any of the bigs until they play with Lowry.

TD, Thomas showed about what youd expect, lights out shooting. Both can be electric with quick triggers but I kind of prefer Thomas to begin with, think he plays a bit quicker and is very aware of his role and doesnt try to do too much.

OG was probably the best Raptor today and man if he keeps up his trajectory he could end up the best of the core long term. How they used him suggests he will definitely see more usage, still a very good shooter and looked to have some more strength with much improved footwork to actually finish drives. Most impressive to me though was when he boxed out both Hayward and PJ Washington for a board - saw that and figured he’ll be starting center come playoffs.

Siakam + Norm were meh though I liked Fred more than most did. Came out with a steal on the first possession and showed me he improved a little bit. I was skeptical he’d hit a wall but I think hes got further to go.
                I 100% agree but what does concern me if you combine the blow bys the guards were letting up and the bigs lack of presents that’s very concerning. You can’t have flaws on both parts so it’s something to watch.

Comment

• U know after watching this game I thought to myself why can’t Thomas be the point guard of the future? Serious question for my raptor heads

Comment

• Watch some interviews post game tonight and I want to put it out there I am pulling for mat Thomas . I am a fan. High iq can play off or on the ball. His defense is under rated

Comment

I 100% agree but what does concern me if you combine the blow bys the guards were letting up and the bigs lack of presents that’s very concerning. You can’t have flaws on both parts so it’s something to watch.
                      it's only december 13 man i wouldn't sweat the big lack of presents

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

it's only december 13 man i wouldn't sweat the big lack of presents
                        I see what you did there.

Comment

• Flynn and thomas looked really good last night. Excited to see what they can do going forward, both should see consistent minutes if they can play like that. OG was good. Pascal was meh. Hit a couple 3s and his d was there. Davis looked alright and a some great energy on D from watson. Man our front office is incredible. Not seeing how Powell will survive here if these young guys continue to play well and improve.

Comment

• Flynn and Thomas could become the new M&M backcourt. How sweet it is.

Comment

...our defense is not even close to ready
                              You get that a lot in the first preseason game after the shortest training camp in league history. And guys may have gotten past Flynn, but to me he was the most impressive defender out there not named OG. Almost never went over a screen, stayed in front of his man 9 times out of 10, and switched with a proficiency we still don't see from Norm or a lot of the guys that have been here for a while.

Comment

• The standouts by far were OG, Marty T and Flynn. Davis was looking good too but I don’t know if he’ll be around much longer.

Flynn looked composed, he had a few butterflies at the beginning but really came around. I would’ve liked him to be a bit my selfish

Comment

Working...
                                X