Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

A bigger Kawhi... with playmaking.
    Meh. Saying Kawhi with playmaking is like saying LeBron. What is the distinct part of Kawhi's game you see in Scottie?

I see him doing a lot of prime Marc Gasol things on the court including the playmaking and working from the low post. Not very distinct Kawhi things imo.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

A bigger Kawhi... with playmaking.
      So Scottie Pippen.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• of all the players he most commonly gets compared too, pippen is the one i see the least (much as i like david thorpe where i think that might have originally come from). i can see pieces of the magic and draymond and kawhi and giannis comparisons, but i see less scottie pippen.

sure pippen was a 'point forward' in that he brought the ball up the floor most often for the bulls, mainly to alleviate MJ from that responsibility and because paxson/BJ/harper etc were more natural off-ball players. and he accumulated a fair amount of assists passing the ball a lot to MJ in a motion offense in which everyone touched the ball, but i never really thought of him as some super-natural playmaker or anything. barnes seems to have more natural playmaking ability to me.

i also think they score pretty differently. barnes is going to be (and already was in year 1) quite a bully dow low. pippen was a more of a slasher and mid-range jump shooter.

then on defense barnes spends a lot more time guarding bigs than pippen ever did, although one could argue that's more a product of the times. pippen guarded the perimeter almost exclusively, which yes he was the best of all-time at.

they are both named scottie though.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
            the bulls did him dirty for a while

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
              of all the players he most commonly gets compared too, pippen is the one i see the least (much as i like david thorpe where i think that might have originally come from). i can see pieces of the magic and draymond and kawhi and giannis comparisons, but i see less scottie pippen.

sure pippen was a 'point forward' in that he brought the ball up the floor most often for the bulls, mainly to alleviate MJ from that responsibility and because paxson/BJ/harper etc were more natural off-ball players. and he accumulated a fair amount of assists passing the ball a lot to MJ in a motion offense in which everyone touched the ball, but i never really thought of him as some super-natural playmaker or anything. barnes seems to have more natural playmaking ability to me.

i also think they score pretty differently. barnes is going to be (and already was in year 1) quite a bully dow low. pippen was a more of a slasher and mid-range jump shooter.

then on defense barnes spends a lot more time guarding bigs than pippen ever did, although one could argue that's more a product of the times. pippen guarded the perimeter almost exclusively, which yes he was the best of all-time at.

they are both named scottie though.
              Literally Barnes is a damn bully in a mean way.. and he does it with a smile.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
                of all the players he most commonly gets compared too, pippen is the one i see the least (much as i like david thorpe where i think that might have originally come from). i can see pieces of the magic and draymond and kawhi and giannis comparisons, but i see less scottie pippen.

He looks, in different parts, like all the bigger forwards who could handle the ball and were skilled. The most obvious comparison to me is Lamar Odom and if you remember Odom as a rookie, the resemblance is pretty remarkable - they even both have that odd hook/floater in the lane and the uncanny court vision. Barnes is a better athlete it seems and he projects as a superior defender but, offensively, Odom is the first guy I thought of back in summer league last year.

Pippen's game was completely different from Scottie. Like you, I don't get that one. Kawhi is the other weird one that gets mentioned that I don't see much at all.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He looks, in different parts, like all the bigger forwards who could handle the ball and were skilled. The most obvious comparison to me is Lamar Odom and if you remember Odom as a rookie, the resemblance is pretty remarkable - they even both have that odd hook/floater in the lane and the uncanny court vision. Barnes is a better athlete it seems and he projects as a superior defender but, offensively, Odom is the first guy I thought of back in summer league last year.

Pippen's game was completely different from Scottie. Like you, I don't get that one. Kawhi is the other weird one that gets mentioned that I don't see much at all.
                  I said early on magic, I do see the giannis bully ball style comparisons. Him being a mini version of Giannis but with waaaay better play making at this stage of his career. I see the Lamar odom stuff but I stick with giannis and magic for now. I someone called me crazy recently but at least now I know I am not alone.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

i see a little kawhi for sure. that turnaround he's been working on we've seen clips of this summer, bossing ppl around down low, huge disruptive hands, etc. i can see that. i can see the odom bits you're recalling too, though i think scottie has better potential as a scorer (and defender).

but yeah pippen i don't see much of

Comment

• We can not compare Scottie to one player alone.
                      I think he is a lesser Magic- Kawhi combo.
                      He is built and moves like a bigger Kawhi but plays a bit like Magic.
                      I think he wants to be like like Magic but Magic is so great there can't be anyone like him.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

the bulls did him dirty for a while
                        Nah, he did it to himself.
                        Last edited by Kagemusha; Thu Aug 4, 2022, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Nah, he did it to himself.
                          I thought jerry was a bit cheap no?

Comment

• Scottie's game changed so rapidly last season and he picks up things so fast, it might be pointless trying to find a comparison for a couple seasons. He's strong enough and quick enough to become a Kawhi type of primary scorer for a team or he might become more of a Draymond/Pippen type of do it all player. Or something completely different.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              It begins

Can't find the tweet I saw yesterday, but it was from someone claiming to be at this particular pick up game and said Barnes had 36 pts and 10 assists. It's just a pick up game, but if true it shows a very well rounded out game from Scottie.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Can't find the tweet I saw yesterday, but it was from someone claiming to be at this particular pick up game and said Barnes had 36 pts and 10 assists. It's just a pick up game, but if true it shows a very well rounded out game from Scottie.
                                It was a joke tweet in response to another tweet that claimed that they were there & Harden cooked Barnes.

Rico Runs ain't open to the general public.

Comment

Working...
                                X