Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
    I hope this organic growth thing works or maybe we have no choice. We’re basically maxed out for cash, no juicy picks, and no trade pieces on the bench. Im concerned about teams that trailed us growing faster. I think the teams ahead if us will stay ahead. Is worse than 5th place a fail season next year? What is fair to expect next year?

So a few things. think next year should be about growth overall. I am assuming that at least ONE of Trent or FVV or both may not be long for this team next year. I have suggestions a few moves to do that..

Having all your future first round picks is pretty juicy in my opinion. We will use the MLE and bi annual exception so lets see. It is hard to say where teams end up standings wise next year at this point WAY to early to start that.

I think what you should see is Scottie will likely take more of the offence. Pascal will be a primary ball handler as well. With those two there (ignoring risk for injury) I expect a similar record maybe a bit better next year but it depends.Teams I expect to fall in the east standings will be:

-Heat (Lowry and Jimmy one year older and more beat up).
    -Sixers they will resign james and to a big contract.
    -Bulls will fall without making changes to their roster they are at best a paper tiger.

Cavs I think stay around the same. Pacers will be much worse.

I think the raptors on the high end could be 3rd but I would expect 4/5th in terms of regular season standings. The regular season isn't the key here though. I think the team is good enough that with the right growth (or potentially the trades I suggested) I expect them to get to the second round depending on match ups. Again it is VERY far away to speculate. For me the series left me very optimistic in terms of can the positionless thing work. It can. We need minor tweaks but it can.

Top 3 may be tough.. I also ironically think the bucks could take a step back because teams that do multiple final runs or multiple deep deep playoff runs usually struggle with injuries after a while so expect to see that trend continue.

The test is the playoffs and how they do on the big stage. The test is not can they get the number 1 seed. They should also be aiming to have home court next year.

Part of the issue is Scottie is GOOD very very very good but he will make mistakes he will not be perfect and so that will lead to losses not a ton of them but it will lead to losses along the way and then obviously like I mentioned injuries etc etc. But I think that's a fair expectation to put without knowing the final roster construction ... and without knowing how the league will even look like next year in our conference and division.

Comment

I hope this organic growth thing works or maybe we have no choice. We’re basically maxed out for cash, no juicy picks, and no trade pieces on the bench. Im concerned about teams that trailed us growing faster. I think the teams ahead if us will stay ahead. Is worse than 5th place a fail season next year? What is fair to expect next year?
      If Pascal keeps playing well and FVV stays as is, I think it's fair to expect reasonable improvement from Scotty and Achiuwa and maybe more moderate from OG and Trent. But not sure if that's good enough for better than 4-6 although I can see both Miami and the Bulls being more challenged.

Comment

Why wouldnt internal development work? Literally a 5th seed with one of the youngest teams in the NBA dealing with players in and out of the line up all season. This isn't some poorly managed franchise that's waiting to fall ass backwards into a championship.

If healthy, I dont see why this team wouldn't be in the hunt for a top 4 seed next season.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

If Pascal keeps playing well and FVV stays as is, I think it's fair to expect reasonable improvement from Scotty and Achiuwa and maybe more moderate from OG and Trent. But not sure if that's good enough for better than 4-6 although I can see both Miami and the Bulls being more challenged.
          that's the thing I don't think Miami some how is better next year standings wise because we are already seeing them break down.

Comment

• My preferred trade is FVV + Sign and Trade of Boucher for Jamal Murray.
            sign Thad Young for 3/$16 Million, third year is a team option.
            Sign Ibaka for Vets minimum and the MLE is given to Malik Monk.
            Birch plus Flynn are traded for Alec Burks

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
              My preferred trade is FVV + Sign and Trade of Boucher for Jamal Murray.
              sign Thad Young for 3/$16 Million, third year is a team option.
              Sign Ibaka for Vets minimum and the MLE is given to Malik Monk.
              Birch plus Flynn are traded for Alec Burks
              If I am not mistaken if you are signing and trading a player and that player is outgoing... they can be the only person as a part of the out going package.

Comment

• Celtics likely take a step back. Horford is probably their 3rd best player and he's very old, turns 36 in June. I don't see how they make a step forward.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

If I am not mistaken if you are signing and trading a player and that player is outgoing... they can be the only person as a part of the out going package.
                  You are mistaken. You can package an existing contract with a signed and traded player in a trade package.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Celtics likely take a step back. Horford is probably their 3rd best player and he's very old, turns 36 in June. I don't see how they make a step forward.
                    Only way I can see Celtics take a step back is if they make a trade which messes with their chemistry again. They have a young team, so have to expect Tatum, Brown, Williams and the rest to all improve just as we are expecting our young guys to get better. Horford is making $27M so if they move him they should have significant space to sign talent I believe. Unfortunately, this dominant version of the Celtic's might be here to stay.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

You are mistaken. You can package an existing contract with a signed and traded player in a trade package.
                      thank you

Comment

Celtics likely take a step back. Horford is probably their 3rd best player and he's very old, turns 36 in June. I don't see how they make a step forward.
                        I can see them maintaining but you are also right about them taking.. but it would only be a slight step

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Only way I can see Celtics take a step back is if they make a trade which messes with their chemistry again. They have a young team, so have to expect Tatum, Brown, Williams and the rest to all improve just as we are expecting our young guys to get better. Horford is making $27M so if they move him they should have significant space to sign talent I believe. Unfortunately, this dominant version of the Celtic's might be here to stay.
                          Tatum and Brown and Smart have been in the league a long time. They're basically where Fred and Pascal are at. I don't expect any big improvements in their game and their stats show that. Horfords deal is guaranteed for $15M next year if the cut him, more if they keep him, and Boston is capped out. They're gonna be fielding the same team but older. If Horford doesn't regress they will be OK but that seems doubtful. I don't see how they take a step forward.

Comment

Tatum and Brown and Smart have been in the league a long time. They're basically where Fred and Pascal are at. I don't expect any big improvements in their game and their stats show that. Horfords deal is guaranteed for $15M next year if the cut him, more if they keep him, and Boston is capped out. They're gonna be fielding the same team but older. If Horford doesn't regress they will be OK but that seems doubtful. I don't see how they take a step forward.
                            Along those lines, another takeaway from this year's playoffs is that of the 8 teams remaining... all of them (except Heat) have been built mainly though drafting, development and trades. It's the same team-building model that the Raptors are following (out of necessity.... since FAs aren't available to us).

For all those moaning about not being able to get elite FAs to come to Toronto... how's that working out this year?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Along those lines, another takeaway from this year's playoffs is that of the 8 teams remaining... all of them (except Heat) have been built mainly though drafting, development and trades. It's the same team-building model that the Raptors are following (out of necessity.... since FAs aren't available to us).

For all those moaning about not being able to get elite FAs to come to Toronto... how's that working out this year?
                              WEell I think the old way of trying to chase a super star doesn't work any more. Teams in general will not be clearing out a crap ton of cap space... instead they will find a guy and they may work out a sign and trade and in that way the team losing the guy will not be happy but at least they get something from it. We saw the start of that last year with derozan and lowry's sign and trades and others. There was a LOT more sign and trades being done.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Most of their centerpieces are very high draft picks, something we didn't have the luxury of until last year.
                                They sucked first before they got good.

Comment

Working...
                                X