Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

If Denver is willing to part with Murray that would be my favorite option. I really doubt they're looking to move him but crazier things have happened.
    How about OG+GTJ for Murray+Bones?

Comment

• the more i think about the more i am happy with the idea of rudy coming to toronto to anchor our defence. OG has hit his ceiling imo. his points and defence are replaceable. MU pull the trigger don’t get cute lol

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I think there is some redundancy between OG and Scottie. So I could see a move where he is traded out. But Rudy Gay isn't the answer.. not for me.

I've never wanted Gobert on the Raptors once Nurse took over as coach. Gobert is the best rim protector in the game, but he excels when he's dropping back. Would Nurse completely revamp his defense (ie, the constant switching) to get him in his comfort zones? On offense Gobert excels in the pnr.. we do a lot of dribble hand offs, and make plays out at the perimeter. Do we even use screens? He likes having his bigs out at the perimeter to open lanes up.

Pascal isn't a great pick and roll facilitator. If we're going Scottie/Rudy pick & roll, it might work, but a smart defender can probably figure out how to slow that down. Scottie isn't a great threat from deep so they may just go under the screen and double help on Gobert. You know defenses will put their worst defender on Gobert. We don't have the horse power on offense to play 4 on 5.

Plus Gobert makes over $40M a year. That requires at least 2 core players to send back in a deal. It really doesn't feel practical. We're not quite yet in a position to make a trade like that. We still need to accumulate assets since losing a bunch in the Kawhi and Marc trades back in 2018/2019.

I think we're pretty close to being a contender already. Boston and Miami were in the ECF. Are we really that far from either team? Our bench was super thin.. but that's not too hard to fix. It's not a super team era anymore. Just need to be healthy and create really good chemistry so that we're firing on all cylinders by the time the playoffs role around. Last thing we need to do is make a Colangelo style all-in move for a flawed player. Just fix the edges, and we'll be fine.
        Yeah, just to add that the Clippers were able to negate Gobert in the playoffs by going small with Batum or Morris at the 5. And he couldn't punish them on offense, because he can't post up. Nurse is all about using the regular season to prepare for the playoffs, so I don't see the fit. And we might as well trade Fred, because he's terrible at hitting the roller on PnRs.... assuming we'd even run those plays. Are we going to have Rudy spotting up in the corner for 3, like Birch, waiting for Fred's drive & kicks? Seems like a waste of $40M worth of cap for a guy who doesn't fit how Nurse wants to play.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, just to add that the Clippers were able to negate Gobert in the playoffs by going small with Batum or Morris at the 5. And he couldn't punish them on offense, because he can't post up. Nurse is all about using the regular season to prepare for the playoffs, so I don't see the fit. And we might as well trade Fred, because he's terrible at hitting the roller on PnRs.... assuming we'd even run those plays. Are we going to have Rudy spotting up in the corner for 3, like Birch, waiting for Fred's drive & kicks? Seems like a waste of $40M worth of cap for a guy who doesn't fit how Nurse wants to play.
          Gobert is going to be what the 76'ers thought they did when they got James Harden but it didn't end up having the impact they hoped it did.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Gobert is going to be what the 76'ers thought they did when they got James Harden but it didn't end up having the impact they hoped it did.
            Yeah, that's a good analogy. Like Harden, to maximize Gobert, you have to build the entire defensive system around him, i.e., play passive drop coverage and funnel everything into the paint. But, Nurse wants aggressive ball pressure at all times, switching everything on the perimeter and forcing turnovers.

Jazz are right at the bottom of the league in forcing opponents turnovers (TOV/100 & TOV%). Raptors are tops in the league in those categories. It would be a huge shift in current defensive philosophy to get value out of Gobert. Would Nurse really want to play like that?

And come playoff time, opposing teams just go 5-out and pull Gobert away from the paint, or if he hangs back, their small-ball center takes open 3s.

Comment

• A Barnes and Murray pairing would be fantastic but doubt Denver wants to trade him. More likely they want to add OG to Murray and Jokic by trading Porter.

Comment

• If we're looking for a starting center, then we should just do a Capela for GTJ trade. Or, if the Hawks want Ayton, we could do a 3-way with Phoenix.

To Hawks: Ayton, Flynn
                To Suns: Trent, Birch
                To Raps: Capela, Delon

Capela at $18.6M/year is way more palatable than Rudy Gobert at > $40M/yr. The ideal candidate is Jarrett Allen at $20M/yr, tbh, but I don't think the Cavs are letting him go anywhere.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Gobert is 29 in his prime and just had his best season ever. It's not a good comparison on many levels.

Responding to others, I totally disagree with the take that Utah used Gobert this way so we need to use him the same exact way. Very close minded. Gobert is great in pick and rolls, so is every freaking center in the NBA, it's literally the easiest offensive set for centers. Nurse isn't a cookie cutter kids YMCA coach. He can get more out of Gobert than just pick and rolls, there are a ton more ways to get guys the ball near the basket. We also should run more pick and roll but we didn't have a center to make it worthwhile, with Gobert we would.

Would we adjust the offense and defense if we got Gobert? Of course we would!

Nurse has run a different system almost every season. You guys are acting like we did an all 6'9 lineup since he took over but we used to run a lineup with Lowry and Fred as the guards. He's a great coach and adjusts the roster to maximize our strengths. This season it was go positionless and it worked, we were the 5th seed with a roster that was the same as the team that got the 4th overall pick a season prior. Nurse is not Dwane Casey, he will run whatever maximizes our chances of winning.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Gobert is 29 in his prime and just had his best season ever. It's not a good comparison on many levels.

Responding to others, I totally disagree with the take that Utah used Gobert this way so we need to use him the same exact way. Very close minded. Gobert is great in pick and rolls, so is every freaking center in the NBA, it's literally the easiest offensive set for centers. Nurse isn't a cookie cutter kids YMCA coach. He can get more out of Gobert than just pick and rolls, there are a ton more ways to get guys the ball near the basket. We also should run more pick and roll but we didn't have a center to make it worthwhile, with Gobert we would.

Would we adjust the offense and defense if we got Gobert? Of course we would!

Nurse has run a different system almost every season. You guys are acting like we did an all 6'9 lineup since he took over but we used to run a lineup with Lowry and Fred as the guards. He's a great coach and adjusts the roster to maximize our strengths. This season it was go positionless and it worked, we were the 5th seed with a roster that was the same as the team that got the 4th overall pick a season prior. Nurse is not Dwane Casey, he will run whatever maximizes our chances of winning.
                    They also have very different skill sets... Gobert is great but Harden offensively has been good enough to literally force rule changes.

Also I expected them to be top 4/5 this year. so I wasn't exactly shocked or surprised at their overall performance.

Comment

If we're looking for a starting center, then we should just do a Capela for GTJ trade. Or, if the Hawks want Ayton, we could do a 3-way with Phoenix.

Capela at $18.6M/year is way more palatable than Rudy Gobert at > $40M/yr. The ideal candidate is Jarrett Allen at $20M/yr, tbh, but I don't think the Cavs are letting him go anywhere.
                      sounds nice but why wouldn't the hawks just send out capella without having to deal with us... or heck John Collins.

Comment

How about OG+GTJ for Murray+Bones?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

If we're looking for a starting center, then we should just do a Capela for GTJ trade. Or, if the Hawks want Ayton, we could do a 3-way with Phoenix.

How far off is Capela from Precious? If you're trading OG the starting 5 are set, and you trade him for a couple of young, solid bench guys. Same thing we were after from Philly for Lowry...Maxey, Thybulle type guys.

Comment

• Myles turner is back in the news...I'd offer GTJ and a protected first.. and then they would want OG not gary ..
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Would you guys trade OG for Poeltl? there was a report a couple of days ago that SA is one of the teams that are interested in Ogugua.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                                Would you guys trade OG for Poeltl? there was a report a couple of days ago that SA is one of the teams that are interested in Ogugua.
                                Nope

Comment

Working...
                                X