Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post
    So where are we going to find shooters? Is Ingles realistic? Otto Porter? DiVincenzo?

We haven't addressed our biggest weakness.
    Yeah, that certainly becomes the question now, and what we'll look to use all of our space on.

(Trey Burke picked up his player option, so he ain't walking through that door golden )

Gary Harris, Kyle Anderson, Delon, Jeremy Lamb, Tyus Jones are some names that pop out to me, scanning free agents...

Those guys could give us something off the bench...

Bruce Brown, Rubio, Schroder, Malik Monk, DJ Augustin, Brynn Forbes, Avery Bradley...

Not sure if we'll find a perfect solution... But hopefully someone who can positively contribute, (unlike last year.)

Comment

• Of the names you mentioned….I like Bruce Brown or Malik Monk…they both have that clutch genes in their games with some spice to it.

Comment

• Gary Harris bruce brown jr, taurean prince, delon,jones all speak to me and walker.

I like brown and prince the most.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I like brown and prince the most.
          I like Brown but not Prince (will probably be out of the league in a couple of years).

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Yeah, that certainly becomes the question now, and what we'll look to use all of our space on.

(Trey Burke picked up his player option, so he ain't walking through that door golden )

Gary Harris, Kyle Anderson, Delon, Jeremy Lamb, Tyus Jones are some names that pop out to me, scanning free agents...

Bruce Brown, Rubio, Schroder, Malik Monk, DJ Augustin, Brynn Forbes, Avery Bradley...

Not sure if we'll find a perfect solution... But hopefully someone who can positively contribute, (unlike last year.)
            Schroder has a lot of what the Raps need in terms of firepower but last season in Boston showed his limitations: he is ball dominant, his defence comes and goes depending on his engagement level and he's not necessarily a complimentary player, which is going to be important with Barnes, Siakam and Fred running the show.

I still like Gary Harris cause he can defend and has some versatility so Nurse won't have an excuse not to play him. He's also not a ball dominant guard but can handle it if need be and competently run an offence.

As you say, there aren't any perfect solutions with the MLE but finding a consistent 12-15 points off the bench would be a big help.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

i still like kyle anderson especially if we decide to make trades at some point. i honestly believe he is the glue on that memphis team.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

i still like kyle anderson especially if we decide to make trades at some point. i honestly believe he is the glue on that memphis team.
                Agree one of Gary Harris, Kyle Anderson, Malik Monk or Brown for the MLE 3/$10 Million per annum, but, sign- Delon Wright for the biannual exemption at $4 Million.

Still , a trade consisting of Birch + Brooks / Flynn for: a talent such as Jalen Smith!

Perhaps for draw Jalen Smith + 2nd. That opens more monies under the Luxury Tax.

Sign as a backup center Hartenstein to replace Birch for example.

Then keep Watanabe for 2/$1.5 Million. Keep Harper at two way contract, with Christian Komoka starting at $900,000 with increases for 2 years with team option for 3rd year and a non guarantee 4th year

Boucher -4/ $32 Million , starting at $7.5 Million thereafter. Young 1 year $7.5 Million, which is an overpay due to the length of the contract.

Comment

• What I will be fascinated by is whether the Raptors make offers with term. They have Boucher and Thad to re-sign, and the MLE to use. They'll probably try to use a slice of the MLE to give Koloko three years. But with salaries crunching over the next few years, maybe they prioritize keeping flexibility in future years and try for one year deals.

Now, a one year deal for a guy like Boucher or Thad would mean they get a no trade clause, which is not great for trade flexibility at the deadline, so they'd want to be able to buy a 2nd unguaranteed season. They'd need to pay more to get them without term, let alone with that second year unguaranteed. Similarly, if they want a one year deal for their MLE signing, you aren't getting a 9M player if you won't give term on the deal. Maybe that deal is small enough that you can fit it into the longer term salary structure, but even then if you are offering slightly sub-MLE you might get outbid.

Lots to consider.

But, assuming they offer term at the MLE or near to it, some interesting names (looking for shooting and defence and a little playmaking if possible at the wing or guard spot):

Gary Harris
                  Delon Wright
                  Kyle Anderson
                  Tyus Jones
                  Bruce Brown Jr
                  Ricky Rubio (no idea what his market will be like after that injury, a guy who might be open to a 1 year MLE)
                  Nic Batum
                  Malik Monk would be OK but not sure he fits the defensive ethos

A lot of those guys will end up priced out of our range regardless of term but that's why it's not a list of one.

The other thing is roster spots.

Raps have 13 guys on the roster assuming Boucher and Thad are back (and they don't waive Brooks or Banton). They also have Champagnie, who I suspect is beyond a two-way now, so will need a spot, and Koloko of course, so that's 15. Someone needs to not be there if they are spending the MLE. Cutting Svi would do it.

Final consideration, pretty sure they won't be entering the tax this year, and right now (with just Koloko assumed at the minimum) they have 12 guys taking them to a tax total of 117.3M. Tax line is at 148.3M, leaving them almost exactly 31M for the final three spots. Four spots if they cut Svi.

If they cut Svi and give Champagnie a minimum deal, that's 29M left for Boucher, Thad and MLE guy. If you give all three term that is probably enough. If you try to stick to one year deals, you probably lose one of Boucher or Thad. But we'll see.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post

Agree one of Gary Harris, Kyle Anderson, Malik Monk or Brown for the MLE 3/$10 Million per annum, but, sign- Delon Wright for the biannual exemption at $4 Million.

Still , a trade consisting of Birch + Brooks / Flynn for: a talent such as Jalen Smith!

Perhaps for draw Jalen Smith + 2nd. That opens more monies under the Luxury Tax.

Sign as a backup center Hartenstein to replace Birch for example.

Then keep Watanabe for 2/$1.5 Million. Keep Harper at two way contract, with Christian Komoka starting at $900,000 with increases for 2 years with team option for 3rd year and a non guarantee 4th year

Boucher -4/ $32 Million , starting at $7.5 Million thereafter. Young 1 year $7.5 Million, which is an overpay due to the length of the contract.
                    why would they want birch.... they want to reduce their salary load and enter a rebuild why would they want more salaries on their books than it would cost to keep Jalen Smith?

also boucher wants at least a bit of an increase in salary... why would he accept the same exact salary....
                    Also is Christian Komoka?

If we just drafted Koloko why would we then go out and get Hartenstein if the you just drafted someone and plan on trading birch...to also get Jalen Smith......
                    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Fri Jun 24, 2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Listening to Zach Lowe's podcast with Bobby Marks. They talked about potential KD trades and both had Raptors as their favorite potential trade partner for the Nets. However they were talking from Nets GM perspective and said the first team you call is the Raptors and you ask for Scottie. Both agreed Raptors probably say no.

If you're the Raptors, throw whoever in the deal except Pascal and Scottie.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                        Listening to Zach Lowe's podcast with Bobby Marks. They talked about potential KD trades and both had Raptors as their favorite potential trade partner for the Nets. However they were talking from Nets GM perspective and said the first team you call is the Raptors and you ask for Scottie. Both agreed Raptors probably say no.

You start with OG, Gary and Khem as salary matchers.. and then as many picks as it takes. KD is locked up for 4 years. So those picks won't really be great. Can always buy one if we have to. Maybe S&T Chris instead of Khem if that can save a FRP.

But I agree.. Pascal and Scottie are untouchables.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                          Listening to Zach Lowe's podcast with Bobby Marks. They talked about potential KD trades and both had Raptors as their favorite potential trade partner for the Nets. However they were talking from Nets GM perspective and said the first team you call is the Raptors and you ask for Scottie. Both agreed Raptors probably say no.

this is basically it we can likely out bid almost any team but they can't have scottie or scottie

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

You start with OG, Gary and Khem as salary matchers.. and then as many picks as it takes. KD is locked up for 4 years. So those picks won't really be great. Can always buy one if we have to. Maybe S&T Chris instead of Khem if that can save a FRP.

But I agree.. Pascal and Scottie are untouchables.
                            I don't think Pascal is untouchable at all. Pascal is demar derozan for kawhi Leonard in a situation like this ..
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I don't think Pascal is untouchable at all. Pascal is demar derozan for kawhi Leonard in a situation like this ..
                              Fred is DeMar. Pascal is Lowry.

Comment

• i haven’t listened yet to zach but if KD who btw wanted to be a raptor before he was drafted decided he wanted out. fred OG bouche and draft picks no scottie no pascal no banton no koloko anyone else they can have

Comment

Working...
                                X