Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So does the patron saint of Chowderville, Brad "The Genius" Stephens , come out of the front office and get behind the bench ?
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      So does the patron saint of Chowderville, Brad "The Genius" Stephens , come out of the front office and get behind the bench ?
      I had that thought as well. I guess crazier things have happened

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I had that thought as well. I guess crazier things have happened
        Its such a good storyline ....
        If the Chowders stumble out of the gate how much loyalty does the organization have to an assistant coach?
        - TGO

Comment

Its such a good storyline ....
          If the Chowders stumble out of the gate how much loyalty does the organization have to an assistant coach?
          I don't think they stumble, this is a rallying cry

Comment

• Bucks - very good team, hard to see them not in the top 3.

76ers - very good team, lacks depth but a strong starting unit. I assume they'll roll out embiid, tucker, Harris, harden and Maxey. Makes me curious about Harris, as he seems drastically overpaid for what they need from his role. Maybe they could flip him for a 3&D wing to start and a decent ballhandler off the bench and they may be better overall. Either way, I think they'll be a better team this year, but will need more depth for a long playoff run.

Celtics - very good team, they may be the best in the conference but will have to see how they respond to the recent controversy surrounding their coach. Also losing Gallo for the season and Williams to start the campaign will have an impact. They may have a similar season as last, start slow and finish strong, but I fully expect them to be one of the better teams in the east.

Miami - overrated overall. They are depending on kyle, who has dropped off considerably in recent seasons (and needs to be in better shape according to the front office), butler who is also aging but still effective, bam who is very overrated, a shooter that can't defend and play in critical moments, a gifted bench scorer and a rehabbing oladipo. I don't doubt Jimmy, and Tyler seems like the real deal, but nothing else about the roster is worrisome. They should be good, battling for a top 4 seed, but not an ECF contender as is.

Nets - what a freakin shitshow. Hard to see them overcome all the drama surrounding that franchise. No denying the talent, but their 2 best players seem uninterested in the team, and as such, the team, rightfully IMO, seems uninterested in them. Kyrie appears to have only opted in because he couldn't find another team interested in his services (at least at the lofty pay he expects) and most of the off-season spent dealing with KDs trade request. And who knows what to expect from Simmons. So, 2 superstars that have little to no respect for the coaching staff and/or front office, who both clearly want to move on. I don't know, I find it very difficult to believe this team is worth worrying about.

Raptors - perennially under-rated, I fully expect this team to over-achieve relative to non-RR preseason expectations. There is a 50+ win team here. A deeper bench and improvements from Barnes and Precious (and maybe others) should put us squarely in the hunt for 1st round home court before seasons end.

Cavs - folks are a bit worried about perimeter defence, and rightfully so, but with Allen and Mobley clogging the paint and protecting the rim, there may be no other team in the league better equipped to deal with porous perimeter defence. Lots of offensive ability on the perimeter of course, with newly acquired Mitchell next to rising star Garland, and levert off the bench. Love is a great bench piece as well, but they could probably use an upgrade over the okoro/osman SF combo. Could be sneaky good team challenging for 1st round home court as well, especially if 1 or more of the top teams don't live up to expectations.

Hawks - hard team to judge. With a guy like Trae leading the charge, it's really difficult to see this team as a contender, despite the fact that he is really good and they made the ECF not 2 seasons ago. Just reminds me of those Iverson 6ers, although Trae has more talent around him Iverson did. Going to be interesting to see how the chemistry works with Murray, but they seem to be in a never ending cycle of acquiring or trading or attempting to trade front court players. Collins has been in rumors almost every season, capella recently as well. Hard to develop chemistry that way. I could see this team as high as 5th, or also fighting for a play in.

Chicago - if Lonzo somehow morphs into a kyle Lowry type and can be the lead driver of wins for that team then maybe they could be good. There is actually more talent on that team then the lowry/derozan versions of the Raps, but I doubt they'll ever be as successful. Doesn't help that the east is now super charged relative to the east from those past seasons. Vucevic was a mistake to acquire, they need a defensive C more than a scoring one. They should be looking to move off Vuc in favor of a rim protector, and if that happens early enough in the season (and lonzos injury isn't prolonged) then they may secure a playoff spot without going through the play in.

I'm not sure there is any point to talking about the rest of the teams. Surely, there is one amongst them that will surprise, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to which one. Maybe Beal, porzingis and kuzma find some chemistry and fight, maybe brunson elevates Randle, maybe a young Detroit team takes a surprise leap. Ultimately, I dont think it matters.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Bucks - very good team, hard to see them not in the top 3.

76ers - very good team, lacks depth but a strong starting unit. I assume they'll roll out embiid, tucker, Harris, harden and Maxey. Makes me curious about Harris, as he seems drastically overpaid for what they need from his role. Maybe they could flip him for a 3&D wing to start and a decent ballhandler off the bench and they may be better overall. Either way, I think they'll be a better team this year, but will need more depth for a long playoff run.

Celtics - very good team, they may be the best in the conference but will have to see how they respond to the recent controversy surrounding their coach. Also losing Gallo for the season and Williams to start the campaign will have an impact. They may have a similar season as last, start slow and finish strong, but I fully expect them to be one of the better teams in the east.

Miami - overrated overall. They are depending on kyle, who has dropped off considerably in recent seasons (and needs to be in better shape according to the front office), butler who is also aging but still effective, bam who is very overrated, a shooter that can't defend and play in critical moments, a gifted bench scorer and a rehabbing oladipo. I don't doubt Jimmy, and Tyler seems like the real deal, but nothing else about the roster is worrisome. They should be good, battling for a top 4 seed, but not an ECF contender as is.

Nets - what a freakin shitshow. Hard to see them overcome all the drama surrounding that franchise. No denying the talent, but their 2 best players seem uninterested in the team, and as such, the team, rightfully IMO, seems uninterested in them. Kyrie appears to have only opted in because he couldn't find another team interested in his services (at least at the lofty pay he expects) and most of the off-season spent dealing with KDs trade request. And who knows what to expect from Simmons. So, 2 superstars that have little to no respect for the coaching staff and/or front office, who both clearly want to move on. I don't know, I find it very difficult to believe this team is worth worrying about.

Raptors - perennially under-rated, I fully expect this team to over-achieve relative to non-RR preseason expectations. There is a 50+ win team here. A deeper bench and improvements from Barnes and Precious (and maybe others) should put us squarely in the hunt for 1st round home court before seasons end.

Cavs - folks are a bit worried about perimeter defence, and rightfully so, but with Allen and Mobley clogging the paint and protecting the rim, there may be no other team in the league better equipped to deal with porous perimeter defence. Lots of offensive ability on the perimeter of course, with newly acquired Mitchell next to rising star Garland, and levert off the bench. Love is a great bench piece as well, but they could probably use an upgrade over the okoro/osman SF combo. Could be sneaky good team challenging for 1st round home court as well, especially if 1 or more of the top teams don't live up to expectations.

Hawks - hard team to judge. With a guy like Trae leading the charge, it's really difficult to see this team as a contender, despite the fact that he is really good and they made the ECF not 2 seasons ago. Just reminds me of those Iverson 6ers, although Trae has more talent around him Iverson did. Going to be interesting to see how the chemistry works with Murray, but they seem to be in a never ending cycle of acquiring or trading or attempting to trade front court players. Collins has been in rumors almost every season, capella recently as well. Hard to develop chemistry that way. I could see this team as high as 5th, or also fighting for a play in.

Chicago - if Lonzo somehow morphs into a kyle Lowry type and can be the lead driver of wins for that team then maybe they could be good. There is actually more talent on that team then the lowry/derozan versions of the Raps, but I doubt they'll ever be as successful. Doesn't help that the east is now super charged relative to the east from those past seasons. Vucevic was a mistake to acquire, they need a defensive C more than a scoring one. They should be looking to move off Vuc in favor of a rim protector, and if that happens early enough in the season (and lonzos injury isn't prolonged) then they may secure a playoff spot without going through the play in.

I'm not sure there is any point to talking about the rest of the teams. Surely, there is one amongst them that will surprise, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to which one. Maybe Beal, porzingis and kuzma find some chemistry and fight, maybe brunson elevates Randle, maybe a young Detroit team takes a surprise leap. Ultimately, I dont think it matters.

Lonzo is undergoing another surgery and has had multiple set backs... it looks like he wont be around until close to January at this point.

Celtics just had there weird ime udoka thing but also lost one of there pickups in Gallo, and also lost a key important piece to there front line defence ... Rob Williams... who is now going to be out for up to 12 weeks starting this wednesday. So again without any set backs we are also looking at January. This will put more pressure on Horford who is good but it will wear him down a bit more than what they were likely hoping for at his advanced age in the nba

ATL is very unknown so I agree with that assessment VERY spot on. I also agree with your assessment of Miami, Nets, and the 76ers.

Cavs will start off strong but as you are hinting at they will struggle and put some unneeded pressure on their front court to clean up messes.

Buck's Middleton is not healthy and ready to start the season according to the media report today...still a likely top 3 team but may be on cruise control.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Lonzo is undergoing another surgery and has had multiple set backs... it looks like he wont be around until close to January at this point.

Celtics just had there weird ime udoka thing but also lost one of there pickups in Gallo, and also lost a key important piece to there front line defence ... Rob Williams... who is now going to be out for up to 12 weeks starting this wednesday. So again without any set backs we are also looking at January. This will put more pressure on Horford who is good but it will wear him down a bit more than what they were likely hoping for at his advanced age in the nba

ATL is very unknown so I agree with that assessment VERY spot on. I also agree with your assessment of Miami, Nets, and the 76ers.

Cavs will start off strong but as you are hinting at they will struggle and put some unneeded pressure on their front court to clean up messes.

Buck's Middleton is not healthy and ready to start the season according to the media report today...still a likely top 3 team but may be on cruise control.
                Middleton apparently had ankle replacement surgery. I've never heard of that before. That's crazy. Hope he recovers okay.

Comment

So does the patron saint of Chowderville, Brad "The Genius" Stephens , come out of the front office and get behind the bench ?
                  50-50. Depends on how they look by the all star break.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Middleton apparently had ankle replacement surgery. I've never heard of that before. That's crazy. Hope he recovers okay.
                    I think the ankle thing was Bud. Middleton's surgery was on his wrist.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

for some reason I am thinking about south park when the guy got his knees replaced

Comment

• Season is almost here folks! media day tomorrow.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

50-50. Depends on how they look by the all star break.
                          Agree with the 50-50.
                          Thinking more US Thanksgiving as the tipping point.
                          - TGO

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            Season is almost here folks! media day tomorrow.

finally it's been a long couple months! Luckily we had the Rico runs to watch.

Comment

• Media Day!

Juan gets his own time with the mic.. likely because his team just won gold.. but that's interesting. Gary with less time than the other starters. Also interesting.

Comment

• Live link for media day:
                                https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...-news-reports/

Comment

Working...
                                X