Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

The thing is Jackson never reached his ceiling but only teased with his abilities. During the draft most analysts believed that Jackson had higher ceiling than Jason Tatum! now after 5 seasons Tatum has constantly gotten better while Jackson has not and remained inconsistent. Therefore it's not ceiling you should think about but his floor. What is the minimum consistency you could get out of him at this point?! I would probably have to say that he is closer to the player he has shown us and that is an athletic wing player that can score in spurts with his 2 point shooting and transition plays + good defense but also disappear and give you very little. The question is can he do it on a consistent basis in limited minutes and be satisfied with that role?! I am willing to bet he probably still sees himself as a starter and will jump ship as soon as someone believes he can (which might be next summer) or fail in that role and possibly be out of the league by next summer.

At least with Champagnie at the moment he knows his role & understands it while giving you good enough defense, rebounding and possibly better 3 point shooting in limited number of minutes . The problem is that you still view Jackson with a bright enough lenses and still believe that since he is a top 4 pick & under the Raptors coaching staff he can finally be that great player he meant to be...and I say it's highly unlikely.
    Jackson is a tantalizing prospect playing really well right now. Champagnie is a guy we haven't given a guaranteed deal yet even though he was on the team last year. Raptors are probably leaning Jackson given his preseason play. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

• Am I the only one worried about Barnes? he hasn't been any good these preseason. He looked out of place the last 2 games especially. Last game was probably his worst game as a Raptor. Was it because he played PG? (he's not a PG).

Now you'll say it's only preseason but Barnes is a guy that plays hard every game doesn't matter if it's a Summer League game or game 69 against the Kings. Gonna be interesting to see how he performs tonight.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Can't speak for everyone but I'm not concerned about Barnes. He's a high IQ player for a sophomore so he'll figure it out. Team is shifting roles around so it takes some time for everyone to adjust.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
          Am I the only one worried about Barnes? he hasn't been any good these preseason. He looked out of place the last 2 games especially. Last game was probably his worst game as a Raptor. Was it because he played PG? (he's not a PG).

Now you'll say it's only preseason but Barnes is a guy that plays hard every game doesn't matter if it's a Summer League game or game 69 against the Kings. Gonna be interesting to see how he performs tonight.
          What an irresponsible post, throwing shade almost every moment of your forum life about Trent is second nature to you but to try to be educated and insightful and criticizing Barnes on a third preseason game in his second year is a big failure

SO TRY AGAIN

Comment

• Scottie was efficient at 2 for 5 from the field…7 rebounds and 4 assists, a very good performance from a sophomore learning in preseason the intricacies of leading and facilitating a team. Trying a new role will take time and the most prudent posters of this forum should have the patience to wait for him to fit into that peg.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
              Scottie was efficient at 2 for 5 from the field…7 rebounds and 4 assists, a very good performance from a sophomore learning in preseason the intricacies of leading and facilitating a team. Trying a new role will take time and the most prudent posters of this forum should have the patience to wait for him to fit into that peg.
              I think we can be extremely optimistic about Barnes' future and still recognize that he had a bad game and was clearly not really comfortable in that PG role yet. Yet being the key word. But let's not pretend 5 FGA is nearly enough aggression from him, nor that 40% shooting is a good outcome, nor ignore his turnovers when evaluating his creation with those assists. Bad game.

But not at all a sign of needing to be worried about him. Young player, new role, pre-season. He'll improve by leaps and bounds given reps, which will be a major focus of the first half of this coming season at least. There's loads of room for that optimism without sugar coating a poor performance.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Am I the only one worried about Barnes? he hasn't been any good these preseason. He looked out of place the last 2 games especially. Last game was probably his worst game as a Raptor. Was it because he played PG? (he's not a PG).

Well, you should be the only one worried about Barnes. Young players have learning curves and progression is not linear. We'll see what he can bring over the course of this season.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He looks a bit tentative out there. Either playing passive or forcing it. 3-pt shot not falling either. Could be feeling the weight of higher expectations and more attention from opposing players. There’s a thing called sophomore jinx.

Comment

• Sophomore slump. It's actually just "I've been scouted now," a common speedbump in a player's development. I thought Scottie might have had enough minutes last year to get over that early, and that may yet prove to be true, but if it's not it's not the end of the world.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

He looks a bit tentative out there. Either playing passive or forcing it. 3-pt shot not falling either. Could be feeling the weight of higher expectations and more attention from opposing players. There’s a thing called sophomore jinx.
                      Agreed.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I get the silly TRex hot takes cause that’s how he thinks but surprised at how many others are taking preseason so seriously trying to read into trends and predictions based on 3 meaningless scrimmages.

Comment

yes you are alone

Comment

• Thoughts on Barnes playing PG? TrueTorontoFan
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              I get the silly TRex hot takes cause that’s how he thinks but surprised at how many others are taking preseason so seriously trying to read into trends and predictions based on 3 meaningless scrimmages.
                              Happens every preseason.

Comment

Thoughts on Barnes playing PG? TrueTorontoFan
                                I like it I am into it. I would be spliting the duties between him and pascal 60/40 in favor of Siakam. He needs time but he is working on a lot ... perfecting the moves at game speed. Perfecting the reads, perfecting his shooting form in different spots. He needs time. There are three or four ways you do it for any player really.

-You either give them little to no leash and let them develop in the G-league until they develop that.

-You throw them to the wolves. -> not sure I like this because you sacrifice a TON of wins this way and you may not build up your team if you throw a guy to the wolves and trade everyone else who "may be in their way". It could work or you could end up pissing the guy off because when he is ready he has not felt like the organization has prioritized winning quickly enough.. you start hearing rumors about them wanting out soon because of the losses (Pelicans with Zion before they traded for CJ.... Not that I liked Zion's attitude toward the situation but yeah. Another example is Lebron they squandered 7 years and could have likely built better teams around him the first time around. Even just making the playoffs early on can provide great experience... show players how they need to pace themselves and prep for a season.

-You develop like the raptors where you give them g-league (if necessary) but also give them opportunities to test things out or to try things. The more you perfect things the better. The fewer mistakes you make the more you earn your way to time. The key here is you have to have one or two things that you have to outline to the players to provide a way for them to earn minutes.

Barnes was and is too good for the G-league last year. That hasn't changed. At this stage you want him to really gain those skills.. Especially if you are thinking both short-term (this season and the playoffs) and long term. Barnes also has the highest upside.

So one thing that is important to outline. Positionless basketball hasn't been done before. We have seen small ball... we have seen other things we haven't seen an NBA team try to do this. It will look different. The idea, at least in my mind, is to have enough people who are athletic long, big, and somewhat skilled that you can defensively cover 95% of the league at any one time. The other thing is you offensively can find physical matchups you can dominate on atleast 2-3 players a night if not more against some teams. Yes right now our limitations are going to be related to 3-point shooting but Nurse feels like you can improve shooting. You really shouldn't live and die by it ... (remember the rockets the year we won the chip). As you get to the hoop more, and drive more. Additionally, you create more opportunities for other players... you allow for the 3-point shot to open up.

Another thing. Offensively, you can see over the top of the defence and more easily make pick-and-roll passes or other passing reads... you have a bigger target on the receiving end and a higher vantage point from the passer.

Now not everyone needs to be 6'9 but you want as many as possible to be that or bigger. AND AGILE. Oh man side note I wish we some how got Tari Eason on this team.

Anyways, yeah I think the approach with Barne is a purposeful approach. They saw the passing flashes, he does a ton of other things fairly well (especially as a damn rookie). So why not explore that. The key with Barnes is he seems to assess the halfcourt floor in a way that has him scanning for others advantages and match ups but sometimes he fails to recognize his own. David Thorpe discussed how he is a we guy not a me guy. That mentality can change over time but it needs time to change.

This is something that warrants further experimentation. If we fail in the process we fail but it is worth it. We have enough to shift to to help him as he grows.

Comment

Working...
                                X