Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After we inevitably let go of Casey, who should we hire next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Like Michael Malone. His style fits the West better turn DMC from an elbow jump shooter into a low post C and improved his defence. Helped Ben McClemore become a SG which is a tough position after C and PG. Has Toronto ties with his father and was the Asisstant coach for GSW when they became a good defensive team. Toronto also has had luck get crap off the Kings. Playoff-wise who knows but Casey is terrible so it can either be as bad but potentially much better
    How much longer will Casey be the Raptors coach, in you opinion?

Cause Malone probably won't be around if Casey lasts through his contract.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

This thread is gonna be interesting
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
        Lets get this out of the way:

Casey is a stepping stone in this franchise.
        He's a good motivator and has heart. He got his players to buy into pound the rock and his players really respect him.
        However, at best he's a Mark Jackson kind of person - good personality, well-respected but little x and o basketball system.

Casey's rotations are childish at best and his in game adjusments are horrible for a guy who's been coaching as long as him.

We don't have a championship roster right now now, but when we do, which coach should we replace Casey with?
        How much longer will Casey be coach of the Raptors?
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Abduct Rick Carlisle, somehow, someway.... Casey will be moved to assistant coach.

Comment

I don't think we're going to get rid of Casey anytime soon.

a) he knows the players very well, and they have his strategy

b) who would replace him?
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              How much longer will Casey be coach of the Raptors?
              Seem to really want an answer here. I'll give my opinion.

Barring a complete collapse that would be very surprising, he's very likely safe through the end of this season. A 2nd round berth would probably keep him safe through the summer and start of next year. And then, again, if we completely implode next season, he could be fired during the season at some point.

For him to get fired this summer, think we'd have to lose in the 1st round this season and have coaching be an obvious factor.

And if we don't implode this season or next, and make at least the 2nd round this year, he's likely here to the end of next season (his guaranteed contract). No progress in the playoffs though and I don't think he's re-upped (or option picked up).

I also think that Bayno and Nurse could be legit head coaching candidates from our staff. I also have no problem with considering Mike Malone, but don't know how long he'll be jobless. The problem is it's impossible to know who the GM will actually consider as legit candidates for the job.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Red Auerbach
                Proven winner.

Comment

How much longer will Casey be the Raptors coach, in you opinion?

Cause Malone probably won't be around if Casey lasts through his contract.
                  Depends, hope they enter a rough patch even with the easy schedule. MU should be seeing red flags everywhere with the present defence and no real game plan. By the all-star break if it happens otherwise the offseason. A lot of guys on the roster know Malone easing any transition or quelling any resistance if they are on board. It seems like a golden opportunity since coaching changes are disruptive and usually there isn't an option available. Honestly feel that DC was a BC hire name signing from a championship team that was overrated. He was useful in re-signing Lowry and 2Pats but now he needs to go.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Seem to really want an answer here. I'll give my opinion.

Barring a complete collapse that would be very surprising, he's very likely safe through the end of this season. A 2nd round berth would probably keep him safe through the summer and start of next year. And then, again, if we completely implode next season, he could be fired during the season at some point.

For him to get fired this summer, think we'd have to lose in the 1st round this season and have coaching be an obvious factor.

And if we don't implode this season or next, and make at least the 2nd round this year, he's likely here to the end of next season (his guaranteed contract). No progress in the playoffs though and I don't think he's re-upped (or option picked up).

I also think that Bayno and Nurse could be legit head coaching candidates from our staff. I also have no problem with considering Mike Malone, but don't know how long he'll be jobless. The problem is it's impossible to know who the GM will actually consider as legit candidates for the job.
                    Reasonable assessment, but if you were GM and had a coach whose

"rotations are childish at best and his in game adjusments are horrible for a guy who's been coaching as long as him. "

why would you even wait unless you were trying to tank?

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Depends, hope they enter a rough patch even with the easy schedule. MU should be seeing red flags everywhere with the present defence and no real game plan. By the all-star break if it happens otherwise the offseason. A lot of guys on the roster know Malone easing any transition or quelling any resistance if they are on board. It seems like a golden opportunity since coaching changes are disruptive and usually there isn't an option available. Honestly feel that DC was a BC hire name signing from a championship team that was overrated. He was useful in re-signing Lowry and 2Pats but now he needs to go.
                      What makes you think Malone will still be around if MU waits for the offseason?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post

he is going to be graded on the playoffs. we are supposed to make the playoffs and everything happening right now is a prelude to that.
                        This

Comment

Hire this guy

Comment

What makes you think Malone will still be around if MU waits for the offseason?
                            He probably won't be. Raptors are probably only competing with Orlando if they decide to go with Malone, he likes gritty basketball which isn't great in the West.

Comment

Reasonable assessment, but if you were GM and had a coach whose

"rotations are childish at best and his in game adjusments are horrible for a guy who's been coaching as long as him. "

why would you even wait unless you were trying to tank?
                              Because coaching changes are hugely disruptive, and usually not a good idea in-season. Hence why I cite the need for an obvious bad implosion. Results would have to be much worse than what they've been.

Casey has flaws as a coach, but we're still figuring out just how limiting they are/could be for this team. As much as I criticize Casey, I had no problem with his re-signing this summer given the situation of the team. As has been pointed out tons of times, this team is still in a development/evaluation stage. That's also probably the riskiest time to make a change, where it could be the most disruptive.

Lets see if Casey can ever get his head screwed on straight and truly improve on some of his weaknesses. No rush to make a change.

The biggest, most legit complaint I think anyone can have with Casey is that he is too "defensive" as a coach, in the sense that he's rarely the aggressor in terms of strategic adjustments. He's far too content to let the other team dictate what's going to happen and what kind of game it's going to be. It's just hard to think of championship coaches who would use that approach. Since you play the same team over and over in the playoffs, that's arguably the biggest key. Which team makes the other try to adjust to what they're doing? The team that wins that aspect often wins the series (or at least that's how it's always seemed to me).

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Because coaching changes are hugely disruptive, and usually not a good idea in-season. Hence why I cite the need for an obvious bad implosion. Results would have to be much worse than what they've been.

Casey has flaws as a coach, but we're still figuring out just how limiting they are/could be for this team. As much as I criticize Casey, I had no problem with his re-signing this summer given the situation of the team. As has been pointed out tons of times, this team is still in a development/evaluation stage. That's also probably the riskiest time to make a change, where it could be the most disruptive.

Lets see if Casey can ever get his head screwed on straight and truly improve on some of his weaknesses. No rush to make a change.

The biggest, most legit complaint I think anyone can have with Casey is that he is too "defensive" as a coach, in the sense that he's rarely the aggressor in terms of strategic adjustments. He's far too content to let the other team dictate what's going to happen and what kind of game it's going to be. It's just hard to think of championship coaches who would use that approach. Since you play the same team over and over in the playoffs, that's arguably the biggest key. Which team makes the other try to adjust to what they're doing? The team that wins that aspect often wins the series (or at least that's how it's always seemed to me).
                                Malone isn't disruptive some of the guys in the locker room are familiar with him. If they don't want Malone, offseason is best to allow players a chance to enter training camp with a new HC

Comment

Working...
                                X