• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ettore Messina
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      I want Vogel so badly. Feel like he's the best guy available, and a massive upgrade.
      He's my second choice after this guy below...
      TRex wrote: View Post
      Ettore Messina
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        Ettore Messina
        Just Is wrote: View Post
        He's my second choice after this guy below...
        Not sure if I want to be the team that experiments with a coach with zero NBA experience, regardless of how acclaimed he is on the international stage.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Not sure if I want to be the team that experiments with a coach with zero NBA experience, regardless of how acclaimed he is on the international stage.
          Normally; I'd agree as I think going international is risky for a playoff team but the added experience gained as an Assistant Coach for, in my opinion, the greatest coach in NBA history cancels that out and makes it well worth the risk as he'd have more experience understanding the difference between the two stages.

Vogel I think is hired before we get a chance to even consider him.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Agreed. Hate me all you want but as soon as American players hear an accent good luck with getting their respect.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
              Agreed. Hate me all you want but as soon as American players hear an accent good luck with getting their respect.
              Disagree, there's lots of players just looking for the best coach period. And if the accent's a problem - you don't want that player anyways.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                Normally; I'd agree as I think going international is risky for a playoff team but the added experience gained as an Assistant Coach for, in my opinion, the greatest coach in NBA history cancels that out and makes it well worth the risk as he'd have more experience understanding the difference between the two stages.

Vogel I think is hired before we get a chance to even consider him.
                Letter N wrote: View Post
                To be honest, I totally forget he's an assistant with the Spurs.

Anything Spurs-related, automatically makes players listen. Hmmmmm....
                Last edited by Nilanka; Tue May 10, 2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I want Vogel so badly. Feel like he's the best guy available, and a massive upgrade.
                  He's not going to help this offense though... lol

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    He's not going to help this offense though... lol
                    I'm not so sure. Vogel ran a limited offense in Indiana, but what were his options? That team didn't have a lot of talent. So he worked to what they could do. They ran much more complicated offensive sets when Vogel had Stephenson, Granger and Hibbert.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                      Have you heard Brett Brown talk?
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I'm not so sure. Vogel ran a limited offense in Indiana, but what were his options? That team didn't have a lot of talent. So he worked to what they could do. They ran much more complicated offensive sets when Vogel had Stephenson, Granger and Hibbert.
                        The last time the Pacers had a good ORTG was when Granger was healthy in the 11-12 season. Recent seasons they've been consistently bottom 20 in that regard. As well, they're usually at the bottom of the league for assists as a team.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Our 2 *stars* are getting sped up and being guarded without fouling to keep them off the FT line. The playoff intensity and game-planning is vastly increased over the regular season. End result is that our *stars* are rushing everything (open shots, passes, dribbling, etc...) resulting in what looks like really dumb-ass decisions. That's where a good system that encourages the right basketball play (move the ball, find the open man, PnR, etc...) puts Lowry/DD in the best position to help the team.

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand vs. "....Lowry/DD just gotta makes shots."
                          The two are not mutually exclusive. Again, we are not talking about guys struggling on offence, we are talking about historically bad performances. Like, so bad, no similarly situated players in NBA history have shot this bad. So, yes, the system has its flaws but, at the same time, your best players have to make some plays and some shots in tough situations. They aren't doing that outside of Lowry in a couple games.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            The two are not mutually exclusive. Again, we are not talking about guys struggling on offence, we are talking about historically bad performances. Like, so bad, no similarly situated players in NBA history have shot this bad. So, yes, the system has its flaws but, at the same time, your best players have to make some plays and some shots in tough situations. They aren't doing that outside of Lowry in a couple games.
                            The other explanation could be a historically flawed system that is geared to make above-average players look like all-stars during the regular season and pad the coaching record with wins against teams that aren't prepared, but is too simplistic to survive the acid test of the playoffs.

Kind of like the bright kid who gets by in high school with bad study habits and then gets a rude awakening his first term in university. Or another analogy: Casey developed a fool's gold offensive system of 'Bre-X' like proportions that's now being exposed as a fraud.

Comment

• Fitting that you would use that analogy Golden.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Any talk about this being a system issue is completely off base. This is on the players, not Casey.

DeRozan and Lowry are missing makeable shots. Period. Most teams would be salivating for the kind of looks they're getting, because open mid-range jumpers are a shot that every playoff team needs to be able to make in order to win. If you can't make those, then the defence doesn't pay any penalty for packing the paint and emphasizing 3 point line recovery. And if your 'stars' in particular can't knock down what should be gimmes, then no amount of coaching is going to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X