No announcement yet.

Everything Non-Raptors 23-24 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grayson Allen gets a 4 year, $70M extension from the Suns. So can cross him off anyone's off season wish list. Plus about what Gary's max value is now. I think he was more a MLE type of target, but he shouldn't get as much as Grayson.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Grayson Allen gets a 4 year, $70M extension from the Suns. So can cross him off anyone's off season wish list. Plus about what Gary's max value is now. I think he was more a MLE type of target, but he shouldn't get as much as Grayson.
      If someone wants to pay Gary more than the MLE they can have him.

Suns sort of had to make this overpay, they couldn't afford to lose Grayson.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

If someone wants to pay Gary more than the MLE they can have him.

Suns sort of had to make this overpay, they couldn't afford to lose Grayson.
        I do imagine if the Raps want to lock up Gary via extension rather than risking UFA, they probably have to go a hair above MLE (knowing that MLE is likely the highest the market will go for him). I doubt there's a team out there willing to offer a more significant role to him than we are (6th man type scorer, occasional starter when injuries happen), so unless he's thinking of taking a pay cut to join a contender (most of whom wouldn't even have the full MLE), MLE plus a little should be plenty. 17.5M does seem like a rock solid ceiling set by Allen, 13.8M is the AAV for a 4 year MLE deal. So even say 15M AAV is the sort of number I'd think would lock him up pretty easily. But it would mean not really dancing with much cap space (could target another 13-14M guy, slightly overbid other teams with the MLE to offer, then also add a room MLE guy at about 8M). Even that goes away if you keep a top 6 pick. Or trade/keep Brown and operate over the cap with the actual MLE to offer if you want. The alternative being you use all your cap space on a 30M guy (if there is a candidate worth doing such a thing for - or more like 20M if you keep that high pick).

Hard to project until after the lotto at least, and then we'll see what they do at the draft re: Brown.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I can't compare GTJ to Grayson Allen. Allen had a TS% of .679 this season, 2 best qualified. The next best non-big was Shai's .636 at 15. GTJ was .548 this year, basically his career mark.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            I can't compare GTJ to Grayson Allen. Allen had a TS% of .679 this season, 2 best qualified. The next best non-big was Shai's .636 at 15. GTJ was .548 this year, basically his career mark.
            It's also much easier to play next to a hall of famer like KD than it is to play next to guys like Pascal, Scottie or Dennis Schroeder. Maybe he doesn't hit 68% but I bet Gary would look a lot better than 55% if he was on Phoenix over Toronto this season (or Milwaukee last season).

Comment

It's also much easier to play next to a hall of famer like KD than it is to play next to guys like Pascal, Scottie or Dennis Schroeder. Maybe he doesn't hit 68% but I bet Gary would look a lot better than 55% if he was on Phoenix over Toronto this season (or Milwaukee last season).
              Didn't Yuta also have a career shooting year when he was playing with KD on the Nets? I guess when you have a guy that has that much gravity on the court like KD, you just get a tonne of wide open, in rhythm shots.

Comment

Allen just stands there and shoots threes all game. Literally 65% of his shots were threes, and 85% of those were catch and shoot.

Allen was a true sharpshooter on those shots (45% on catch and shoot threes, amazing efficiency) but that's where almost all his offensive value came from.

Gary shot 43% on his catch and shoot threes. Just didn't get as many and was asked to do more self creation where he was a lot less efficient.

Not much difference between them defensively either, if anything Gary has more upside when he's locked in, but either way neither is a big difference maker on that end. Neither are a significant playmaking contributor even if Allen is a bit better there.

I'd agree that at the moment Allen's contract is a hard ceiling for Gary, who should fall a little short of that. But in the right context Gary can likely be a similarly helpful and productive player.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• It's funny but Lebron ended up with a better 3pt% than Steph this year. Does that mean he's a better shooter?

Lebron - 41.0%
                  Steph - 40.8%

Of course Lebron took 5.1 attempts and Steph took 11.8 attempts, and Steph's shots are typically harder. Need to always look at context with these kinds of things. I like Grayson too, but if he was a Raptor he would have looked super mediocre IMO.

Comment

• Mark Daigneault won COY.

So far on track with my predictions:
                    https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...74#post1514974

Comment

Mark Daigneault won COY.

I think that's the coach-voted one. I don't think the official NBA awards are being reported yet.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think that's the coach-voted one. I don't think the official NBA awards are being reported yet.
                        Yes you are right.. good point. I didn't even know that one existed lol. Just re-read Woj's tweet.

Comment

Mark Daigneault won COY.

I was told that Nurse was a lock.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I was told that Nurse was a lock.
                            What did you tell me

Comment

• With the first pick of the 2024 WNBA draft, the Indiana Fever select.....Caitlin Clark.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                                With the first pick of the 2024 WNBA draft, the Indiana Fever select.....Caitlin Clark.
                                Yep, and now everyone can turn the draft off.

Comment

Working...
                                X