X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-QUGuB76-A

What's the point of this award?

Fans like awards.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

No one knows who Scottie Barnes is? No one knows who RJ or IQ is? Let me guess ... because they're not "Dogs"?
      The team is just not good enough right now that nobody is talking about them. Raps are young and hopefully be making some noise over the next few years and they'll start to get that attention for better or worse. Like Pascal was on that list last season and look at him now lighting it up in the playoffs.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

You're making no sense. How does signing any backup fix starter issues? Are you saying don't sign any back up PG until the starters fix their issues? Or just sign anybody?
        Ah, thought you were talking about signing him to be a starter where the POA issue needs a fix. Dunn would be a nice get for the bench. He also played in 66 games this season which is the most games he's played in since his rookie season. Maybe a sign of finally getting healthy?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Ah, thought you were talking about signing him to be a starter where the POA issue needs a fix. Dunn would be a nice get for the bench. He also played in 66 games this season which is the most games he's played in since his rookie season. Maybe a sign of finally getting healthy?
          I'd say the point of attack issue also needs to be fixed for the bench.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I'd say the point of attack issue also needs to be fixed for the bench.
            For sure, but I was focused on the starting unit as that was a real issue for the team this season (and last). And there seems to be a bit of a dilemma with no visible member of the starting unit ready to fill that role (maybe Ochai?)

Comment

For sure, but I was focused on the starting unit as that was a real issue for the team this season (and last). And there seems to be a bit of a dilemma with no visible member of the starting unit ready to fill that role (maybe Ochai?)
              For now you make Ochai the starter so he can be the lead point of attack defender. Or we may upgrade that spot in free agency/trade.

Our starting unit with Jak, Scottie, RJ, IQ and Trent actually was a really good defensive squad. And that's with Trent. The main issue is we didn't have Jak and then Scottie after the trade for most of the season. And the bench is mostly comprised of poor defenders (like Kelly, Gradey, etc).

I think Dunn would be an adequate floor general for the bench and someone we could play as a starter in some situations. He's one of the better defending PG's out there. Although I think there are some pretty decent looking guards in the draft and I would rather get a guy from there. And use free agency on a big wing/forward if possible.

Comment

We could get prime Gary Payton and it wouldn’t matter. Coaching also has a huge impact on defense, and I don’t see Darko as that hard-ass type to hold guys accountable. Heat just took down the Celtics in a playoff game with Bam and bunch of mediocre to very bad defenders. That’s all coaching.

Comment

Yeah, agreed, Ochai is the obvious answer internally, or Gary as that unit worked fine even if he's not really the defender you want (if he's back). Trick with Agbaji is the shooting...

And of course the major wild card of the draft, which picks we have and what players we use them on. And THEN we'll need to plan out free agency targets. Best to have a list across a bunch of positions and skillsets of potential need, because who knows what hole will still be there after the draft, and whether we'll be playing with cap space or exceptions.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

We could get prime Gary Payton and it wouldn’t matter. Coaching also has a huge impact on defense, and I don’t see Darko as that hard-ass type to hold guys accountable. Heat just took down the Celtics in a playoff game with Bam and bunch of mediocre to very bad defenders. That’s all coaching.
                    We don't need to use prime Gary Payton. We had a 112.6 DRTG with OG on the court this year (would rank 10th as a team) and a 115 with him on the team (was 15th at the time). After the OG trade we had a 120 DRTG and placed 29th. Same coach! Yes, other defenders were also missing big chunks of that time, which only reinforces the point. Having quality defenders is absolutely helpful, even if the scheme or the coach means a ceiling of a solid defence versus an elite one.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's not all coaching. To the untrained eye, they don't look like good defenders. Just like you have no proof for the Darko comment, I have no actual proof for my theory, but I think the Heat target guys who can process the game quickly. They may not look good one on one, but they are disciplined defenders who nail switch after switch. They invariably position themselves correctly to take away the offensive players strong hand. And I'm sure much more that I'm not knowledgeable enough to realise. Combine that with great coaching and you have a defence much greater than the sum of its parts.

Then there are the Terrence Jones types. Back in 2016 he was going to be a free agent. He put up what seemed really good numbers. The media painted him as a strong defender. We thought he would be a strong defender. Then one day a clip popped up showing the Spurs zipping the ball around and Jones on defence wandering around aimlessly. It quickly become obvious that Jones, despite his physical tools, just didn't process the game. Not long after, he was out of the league.

I've always been a big Boucher fan. Great energy guy. Great at coming off the weak side for swats at the rim. He seemed to be inexplicably benched this year. The standard answer has been he doesn't fit Darko's offensive system. Maybe so, but there have also been issues with his lack of discipline on the defensive end. It took him some time and he did seem to improve by controlling his gambling impulses more over the years. His length and athleticism overcame his innate lack of instinct for a while, until it didn't. Could that have also played a part in his DNPCD's?
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Pelicans just got swept out of the playoffs. Granted, they were missing Zion, who was playing great. The pieces just don't seem to fit on that team. I wonder if they're open to trading Herb Jones or Trey Murphy? Ingram played terrible, so if it's a bold move, they're probably thinking about moving him.

Comment

Pelicans just got swept out of the playoffs. Granted, they were missing Zion, who was playing great. The pieces just don't seem to fit on that team. I wonder if they're open to trading Herb Jones or Trey Murphy? Ingram played terrible, so if it's a bold move, they're probably thinking about moving him.
                          The excuse is Zion was out they don't need to do anything.

Trading Herb Jones seems like the worst move possible. Not sure how that could possibly make them better.

The team that will be desperate to make a trade is the Suns. Totally healthy and got swept.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The excuse is Zion was out they don't need to do anything.

Trading Herb Jones seems like the worst move possible. Not sure how that could possibly make them better.

The team that will be desperate to make a trade is the Suns. Totally healthy and got swept.
                            Maybe pickup Royce O’Neale as a stop-gap vet 3&D wing defender? Would also be a dumb move for the Suns, since they need as much defense as they can get.

edit: Just noticed that O'Neale is a UFA. Maybe a S&T for Chris Boucher, so the Suns don't lose him for nothing..
                            Last edited by golden; Tue Apr 30, 2024, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Maybe pickup Royce O’Neale as a stop-gap vet 3&D wing defender? Would also be a dumb move for the Suns, since they need as much defense as they can get.

edit: Just noticed that O'Neale is a UFA. Maybe a S&T for Chris Boucher, so the Suns don't lose him for nothing..
                              The Suns are screwed, so will be really entertaining to watch them.

Beal is the obvious player they should try and move, but he has a no trade clause so isn't going anywhere.

They could deal Durant, but after the haul they gave up for him and unlikelihood they could get anything comparable in return, I don't think they could do it.

Booker is the one player they should absolutely keep. He just entered his prime and they can count on him for another 5+ years. For those same reasons he is the only one who has a really high value and could bring them back some meaningful pieces.

Suns are a great example of don't try to build a team without a PG. It won't work. If they could deal Booker for a young PG with upside plus draft capital that may be the best move to make them better next year and not so screwed in the future. I just don't see a deal like that available to them.

Comment

Pelicans just got swept out of the playoffs. Granted, they were missing Zion, who was playing great. The pieces just don't seem to fit on that team. I wonder if they're open to trading Herb Jones or Trey Murphy? Ingram played terrible, so if it's a bold move, they're probably thinking about moving him.
                                Woudl Brown, Boucher, and Indiana's first round pick be enough? Works money wise. All players only have one year left on their deals.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X