Clear All

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

is there many other options?
    Kyle Lowry

Comment

• We have about 7 known players that should suit up next year
      IQ, Barret, Barnes, Dick, Poetl, Agbaji, Olynk

We have 3 potential draft picks

I would be looking for a solid veteran backup PG. Maybe even a one or two year over pay on Chris Paul to teach the young guys the ropes. Say what you want about Paul; but his track record has shown a good leader to young guys.

I would be looking for another 3/4/stretch 5 to pair beside Barnes. This could be in trade, FA or in the draft.

I would look for a mobile Big.

Draft will be interesting.
      Do we get our pick. If so how high.
      If we keep it I could see us going with one of the Kentucky Guards with our 1st
      A guy like Salaun could be interesting at pacers pick.
      Chomche looks intriguing with the pistons pick.

Of the guys that are currently on our team that are not in the 7 I stated at the beginning for the most part I'm impartial.

Trent- for the right price I'm ok with him returning (under Allen's new contract which is also under his current contract)
      Brown- not worth 23m. If we trade sweet. If we waive him sweet. I don't see him returning.
      Nwora- a 3rd string wing. Not needle mover
      Liberty- a 3rd string combo guard. Not a needle mover
      Boucher- Don't mind him, but Darko didn't play him much.
      McDaniels- I guess I'm not completely impartial. This dude should not be in the league.
      Porter- I would be surprised if he's in the league.
      Temple- If he doesnt see the floor much, cool I think he is a good influence on young guys.
      Gueye- a 3rd string big, maybe a 2 way contract. Not a needle mover.

Should be an interesting summer

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

With the core we have, I really don't think that this will be another season of tanking. Healthy core of Barnes, Barrett, Quickley, Poeltl, Olynyk, etc. gets you more than 30 wins, I think.
        There were times this season when some of those guys were healthy, but were sat out of games. It felt like they sat one of RJ or IQ every game after Scottie got injured though I'm sure they played together in a few. Looming large over their decisions is this big rebranding which MLSE is supposed to be undergoing. I'm sure they'll want the excitement of a winning team to usher it in.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Someone like Payne would likely be fine but Darko would have to be comfortable he can run this offense.

You just can't have transition groups with potentially lots of young players without a vet guard organizing things. And, no, Barnes is not the solution to that issue.
          Are you talking about a veteran PG in a starting role? I'd be surprised if that isn't Scottie and IQ's job next season

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Are you talking about a veteran PG in a starting role? I'd be surprised if that isn't Scottie and IQ's job next season
            No he means a backup for the bench. And I agree we do need that. I don't think the team will prioritize it though.

Comment

No we're talking veteran backup PG. IQ is clearly the starting PG.

If we draft a PG then I'd like the minutes to go to them.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

No he means a backup for the bench. And I agree we do need that. I don't think the team will prioritize it though.
                Ah okay. Well they likely had to promise DS a starting spot to bring him in as a FA this season and he was sent out once they acquired IQ and couldn't keep their promise any more. If he was the bar for FA that we start then the pool is that much smaller for options to bring off the bench. Maybe there is some wily international player who is looking for a shot in the NBA?

Comment

• Free agency isn't just a problem for the Raptors. A few days ago I read another GM lamenting his problems attracting free agents stating FA's "want to play on the coasts".

As for that immense FA list, Boucher earned his keep until Darko decided he didn't fit his system or whatever. Terence Davis was an idiot but he bought back a mid-2nd round pick in trade as did Matt Thomas, so I wouldn't call either of those 2 complete fails.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

If they keep their FRP then there's a good chance they have pick a player that can contribute right away and will need some mins.

I think Dan was saying Gary can be signed with the MLE (I might of read that wrong). I'm not sure how much that is because I did a quick search and it said first year max of $5M which sounds way too low for Trent. I'd imagine he gets a better offer, but if his value is really that low I think it we should try and retain his services.
                    We CAN use the MLE to sign Gary but we also don't have to. We have his rights and can sign him to whatever we want. The MLE starts at 12.8M this year, and over 4 years can total about 55M. That's likely what other teams will be offering him.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      Free agency isn't just a problem for the Raptors. A few days ago I read another GM lamenting his problems attracting free agents stating FA's "want to play on the coasts".

As for that immense FA list, Boucher earned his keep until Darko decided he didn't fit his system or whatever. Terence Davis was an idiot but he bought back a mid-2nd round pick in trade as did Matt Thomas, so I wouldn't call either of those 2 complete fails.
                      We do great when we are using free agency to bring in a rookie. But not so much when they are vets. As for bringing in talent.. we're not talking about guys making over $20M. Just guys making mid level deals or lower. I mean you can find guys like that will play anywhere. I just don't want to sign a guy that doesn't really bring value to the team.

Dennis for example was traded for a guy who we waived. We didn't get any value at all from that signing. And McDaniels literally is unplayable.

If we can use free agency to bring in a guy that is valuable to the team this year, and next year or even the year after.. or via a trade.. then I'm game. But history shows me that we are incapable of doing that.. even for fringe guys.

So I'd rather bank on another draft pick. Since we're so good with those.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

We CAN use the MLE to sign Gary but we also don't have to. We have his rights and can sign him to whatever we want. The MLE starts at 12.8M this year, and over 4 years can total about 55M. That's likely what other teams will be offering him.
                        Okay, 12.8M sounds a lot better than the 5M I saw on line. I would think Gary can command a bit more than that though and was thinking around 15M. Not sure if Raps have an appetite for that but 3yrs/45M seems like a pretty good deal for a solid 6th man who can go off for 20pts on any given night.

Comment

Okay, 12.8M sounds a lot better than the 5M I saw on line. I would think Gary can command a bit more than that though and was thinking around 15M. Not sure if Raps have an appetite for that but 3yrs/45M seems like a pretty good deal for a solid 6th man who can go off for 20pts on any given night.
                          I think it's a perfectly fair sort of deal. Term I'm not sure what each side would want, I have a hard time predicting the Raptors on that front.

My only question is if they want to play with a bigger chunk of cap room. Hard to answer that question without knowing what their targets would be, and even they can't answer it for sure until we know if they have a lotto pick this year or not (something like a 10M swing in cap space depending on the exact pick they have/don't have).
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

No point tanking if we don’t have our own pick next year.
                            I hear you... but if the ping pongs are unkind to us then its most likely another year of wait n see basketball. Where again we wait and see and assess where we are at in terms of upside or maybe the play in or if tanking for a second year in a row to get a shot on what you hope is an impact player for you. It will depend. I'd rather take the pick this year and not be as low in the lottery next year.
                            Just another view...
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Scottie Barnes effect
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X