Everything Playoffs 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

Toppin played 22 minutes, Portis played 39 minutes. So that's at least 17 minutes where Toppin was not guarding Portis because he wasn't on the court.

Both Pascal and Toppin were -18 so I'd say they both did a really shitty job of guarding Portis and both share the blame for making him look like an All Star, but I'd blame Pascal a bit more because he's the starter and guy asking for a max contract.
    Matchup data isn't perfect, but barring watching the video as mars suggests:

Pascal guarded Portis for 30 possessions, giving up 8 points on 4 of 9 shooting.
    Toppin guarded Portis for 18 possessions, giving up 11 points on 5 of 8 shooting.
    All other Pacers combined for 25 defensive possessions, giving up 10 points on 5 of 8 shooting.

Hard to suggest Pascal was any sort of weak link there.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I think Primer is living under a rock. Edwards is already a top 5 player in the NBA and he's only 22. As for face of the league? he is going to be the next face of the league. Look at those numbers. This guy plays for the T-Wolves, a small market team who doesn't get many national televised games.

Also, saying he's not in the MVP convo for a reason is also stupid. He's 22 years old. He's younger than SCOTTIE BARNES. Only one player in NBA history won the MVP award that young: Derrick Rose.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Jokic is going pull Gobert out of the paint and make plays from above the break. So yeah, there's a definitely the possibility of Rudy not being as useful on D, like he is in the regular season. And if that happens, Edwards needs to step up and prove he's transcendent, like Kobe or MJ - instead of being carried to wins by Rudy's defense.
        I guess we'll see.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
          I think Primer is living under a rock. Edwards is already a top 5 player in the NBA and he's only 22. As for face of the league? he is going to be the next face of the league. Look at those numbers. This guy plays for the T-Wolves, a small market team who doesn't get many national televised games.

Also, saying he's not in the MVP convo for a reason is also stupid. He's 22 years old. He's younger than SCOTTIE BARNES. Only one player in NBA history won the MVP award that young: Derrick Rose.

Edwards is not in the MVP conversation because his regular season efficiency stats pale in comparison to Jokic, Shai & Luka. Not because of age. I’ve said repeatedly that if he can improve his efficiency, then he deserves all the praise. But until now, he’s been mostly a volume stats guy.

Comment

Real Raptor fans knew this was coming.
            Wizards' rookie called Siakam the most overrated player in the NBA. lol. A rookie.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Or you could just watch the video. It shows all his shots that went in. And it shows where people were on the court when it happened.
              Pascal was on the court for 9 of Portis 14 makes. A lot more than Toppin was. It's the NBA there are switches and guys get out of position so of course he's not guarding Portis for 100% of the shots, but he did get abused at least 4 times 1 on 1 with Portis in that video.
              Last edited by Primer; Wed May 1, 2024, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Pascal was on the court for 9 of Portis 14 makes. A lot more than Toppin was.
                Yet Pascal wasn't guarding him at all for a lot of those makes. So therefore he wasn't his primary defender. And wasn't the reason he went off.

Comment

Edwards is not in the MVP conversation because his regular season efficiency stats pale in comparison to Jokic, Shai & Luka. Not because of age. I’ve said repeatedly that if he can improve his efficiency, then he deserves all the praise. But until now, he’s been mostly a volume stats guy.
                  Thoughts on his performance against the Suns?

And do you disagree that he's the next face of the league?
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

This whole "face of the league" discussion is silly. Ant will for sure one of the best players going forward, and will certainly garner award consideration at some point or another. But we don't have an MJ/Kobe/Lebron level SUPERSTAR in the league right now. We just don't. Not talking skills wise - I'm talking Zeitgeist. Luka is probably the closest thing we have in terms of sheer popularity, and even then .. he's not at that level where he is universal, like those guys were. Maybe Ant has it in him, but I don't know.

And besides, we all know the face of the league will be Scottie. Quit playin'.

Comment

It was great start to the playoffs for Edwards, but let's face it, Suns have 3 soft wings and 1 soft center in their starting lineup. It was pretty much the perfect matchup for him to go off.

As for all this next "face of the league" stuff ... that phrase is becoming more overused than "dogs". lol. I don't really even pay attention to it. I remember back when they tried really hard to push VC and Kobe, after MJ retired. This "face" stuff is really more about the NBA's media narrative, trying to push the most marketable American player. Right now that's basically Tatum or Edwards, since international players are dominating. But Tatum has no charisma and really isn't that marketable. Whereas Edwards is oozing personality and his game is exciting, which generates eyeballs. And that's the whole purpose of the NBA these days.

The real next "face of the league" should eventually be Wemby, if he stays healthy. But he'll never get 100% US media support because he's non-American. Also, the NBA has been trying to bend the rules to help smaller players succeed, like Steph and Trae Young, because fans can relate to them more than to an ogre like Shaq. So his size will work for and against Wemby in becoming the face.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yet Pascal wasn't guarding him at all for a lot of those makes. So therefore he wasn't his primary defender. And wasn't the reason he went off.
                        4 out of the 9 he was guarding him. The first few buckets in the video are Pascal guarding him, maybe the coach made an adjustment to have someone else try since Pascal was doing so poorly.

Sorry but you're the starting PF and the opposing starting PF goes off you are primarily responsible.

Comment

• The NBA should be pushing ANT hard because he's the best player on one of the best teams in the league, he's American, and he's young. None of those things make him the best player in the NBA he is a far cry from that.

Comment

It was great start to the playoffs for Edwards, but let's face it, Suns have 3 soft wings and 1 soft center in their starting lineup. It was pretty much the perfect matchup for him to go off.

As for all this next "face of the league" stuff ... that phrase is becoming more overused than "dogs". lol. I don't really even pay attention to it. I remember back when they tried really hard to push VC and Kobe, after MJ retired. This "face" stuff is really more about the NBA's media narrative, trying to push the most marketable American player. Right now that's basically Tatum or Edwards, since international players are dominating. But Tatum has no charisma and really isn't that marketable. Whereas Edwards is oozing personality and his game is exciting, which generates eyeballs. And that's the whole purpose of the NBA these days.

The real next "face of the league" should eventually be Wemby, if he stays healthy. But he'll never get 100% US media support because he's non-American. Also, the NBA has been trying to bend the rules to help smaller players succeed, like Steph and Trae Young, because fans can relate to them more than to an ogre like Shaq. So his size will work for and against Wemby in becoming the face.
                            It will be 6 seasons in a row a non-American has won the MVP award. That's pretty crazy.

I tried to watch some of the NBA Today or whatever it's called and it was unbearable. They've turned Zach Lowe into a mouth breathing idiot. Couldn't believe how dumb the whole thing was.

Comment

• Reality came for Heat like Thanos
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                Reality came for Heat like Thanos
                                What is interesting is just how many top players are out of the playoffs. It makes a lot of sense from the perspective that players don’t get paid salaries for the playoffs (just bonuses) yet the games are harder on their bodies and could hamper their ability to add a contract or two to their career earnings.

Comment

Working...
                                X