Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear wrote: View Post
    Houston would do well with jose imo.

Great shooter who can play catch and shoot letting harden run the show.

Howard masks the defense.
    That is True. Jose off the bench will fit them very well.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
      I haven't seen any data on this and don't currently have the time to look into it, but my opinion has always been that there is more trade value to be had around the draft then at the deadline. All 30 teams can talk themselves into having hope around the draft, but at the deadline it's limited to specific teams that are looking to amp things up. Buyers and sellers are more defined which leads me to believe that less value can generally be had at the deadline.

If we are making moves, my preference is leading up to the draft rather than at the deadline. Particularly for a player like DeRozan who can walk just a few months after the deadline passes.
      I see what you're saying but I'm of the opinion that the current Raptors should just wait it out until closer to the 2016 trade deadline to start making moves with the players / salaries the team has. With the increasing salary cap and 2017 CBA, there's too many unknowns to make a significant difference to begin rebuilding this year rather than next year. It many be likely another 5 years before the Raptors make the playoffs again. If the Raptors can trade DD now for a 1st rd draft and/or a young player still on a rookie deal then I'm all for it but I do not believe it means the team has to start tanking this 2015 offseason.

Comment

mengtot wrote: View Post
        I see what you're saying but I'm of the opinion that the current Raptors should just wait it out until closer to the 2016 trade deadline to start making moves with the players / salaries the team has. With the increasing salary cap and 2017 CBA, there's too many unknowns to make a significant difference to begin rebuilding this year rather than next year. It many be likely another 5 years before the Raptors make the playoffs again. If the Raptors can trade DD now for a 1st rd draft and/or a young player still on a rookie deal then I'm all for it but I do not believe it means the team has to start tanking this 2015 offseason.
        So dont start "tanking" now because it takes 5 years, so start next year instead...why not start now and have 1 year of the 5 years done by this time next season.

Comment

So dont start "tanking" now because it takes 5 years, so start next year instead...why not start now and have 1 year of the 5 years done by this time next season.
          The best time to plant an oak tree was 20 years ago.

The second best time is now.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

really though...

Especially with so many lotto teams currently talking like they are interested in moving picks to compete now.

This is a very unique time in which there are more than a few very very solid players in the draft that could be picked up and groomed together, with a few possible franchise guys as well outside of the top 2 or 3.

Comment

You'd really trade winning the Atlantic Division again to tank for the opportunity to be right back where the team is now in 5 years? Really?
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                You'd really trade winning the Atlantic Division again to tank for the opportunity to be right back where the team is now in 5 years? Really?
                Does anyone actually care about winning the Atlantic?

And if so: is this roster even favoured to win the Atlantic next year?
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Lots of talk about Lowry...

But as you point out a few posts down, regarding Dragic, there are potential issues for a starting PG going to Houston. Namely they'd have to play off the ball to Harden a lot. I think guys like Dragic and Lowry are too good to accept that at this point in their careers. And if Dragic wouldn't be happy in that scenario, the more prickly Lowry isn't likely to be either.

I find interesting the question says PG/SG....Greivis Vasquez anyone? Imagine turning Vasquez into assets, and still having Lowry and/or DeMar to do whatever with. Greivis could be a very good fit in Houston. Can hit the 3. Can play on/off the ball. Can run the p'n'r. You can use him to back up both Harden and Beverley (if Beverley is still around).

Maybe a trade where Houston picks up Papanikolaou's team option, then you get Pap and Jones for Greivis. We get a two young forwards who don't look to have a place in Houston, and they get a guy who can be their combo guard.
                  As I see it, the main difference between Lowry and Dragic in regards to Houston as a landing spot is who is in charge of making the decision. Dragic is in charge of where he ends up, whereas Lowry has no say on where he gets traded to. The reason Dragic was able to influence not being traded to Houston at the deadline is because he was a free agent. Houston didn't want to give up assets for a player who wasn't interested in signing with them in the summer.

Lowry is under contract and can be sent anywhere, and I don't think any perceived character issues will scare off Morey. They know Lowry personally from his time in Houston and have wanted him back since he was traded. Above all else Morey cares about improving assets. I think he'll pull the trigger if he believes that Lowry is a better asset for his team right now than what he is sending out.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Winning the atlantic?

That is worthless.

And in 5 years time, that would be a complete and utter disaster to be in this same position.

I would wager that trading demar and lowry for say picks 4-7, and perhaps another move for charlotte, detroits pick and a few vet fa signings this team is in the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed like Boston and Bucks this year.

Yeah they will loose in the first round, but we are loosing in the first round now.

Give that team a year or 2 to grow together and we are top 3 or 4 seed in the east.

Then add go after big name player through trade or free agency to push over the top then ( if you havent already drafted that big time player)

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      Does anyone actually care about winning the Atlantic?

And if so: is this roster even favoured to win the Atlantic next year?
                      short answer - yes the Raptors are favored to win their Division next year & yes, losing sucks, winning is better

Comment

short answer - yes the Raptors are favored to win their Division next year & yes, losing sucks, winning is better
                        Short answer, short sighted
                        Last edited by JimiCliff; Fri May 29, 2015, 02:27 PM.
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                          People forget that Houston has Beverly in the bench which is a great defensive PG who does not need the ball. He is a perfect match along side a ball dominate SG like Harden. I don't see Houston having any interest in Lowry and his big personality. They are already dealing with locker room issues with Harden and Howard and don't need to add to it.
                          I love Beverley and what he brings to Houston. Would also love him and his defensive intensity in Toronto. With that said, Houston has always been said to be interested in an upgrade at point guard. They want an upgrade, and Lowry can be that for them.

Beverley is also a restricted free agent this summer. No guarantees that Houston matches if he gets a good offer elsewhere.
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Winning the atlantic?

That is worthless.

And in 5 years time, that would be a complete and utter disaster to be in this same position.

I would wager that trading demar and lowry for say picks 4-7, and perhaps another move for charlotte, detroits pick and a few vet fa signings this team is in the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed like Boston and Bucks this year.

Yeah they will loose in the first round, but we are loosing in the first round now.

Give that team a year or 2 to grow together and we are top 3 or 4 seed in the east.

Then add go after big name player through trade or free agency to push over the top then ( if you havent already drafted that big time player)
                            That's a good strategy to make the Raptors = Timberwolves, 11 years in the lottery & counting.

Toronto (& Minny) isn't Boston.

Toronto has to follow the Hawks plan to have any hope of attracting free agents - probably means a lot of 1st round exits before getting lucky enough to find the talent to get to the Conference Finals - but that's a lot better than the hopeless situation in Minny

Comment

LOL, winning the atlantic.

Thats like getting a ribbon for finishing second place in a 2 man race.

Comment

That's a good strategy to make the Raptors = Timberwolves, 11 years in the lottery & counting.

Toronto (& Minny) isn't Boston.

Toronto has to follow the Hawks plan to have any hope of attracting free agents - probably means a lot of 1st round exits before getting lucky enough to find the talent to get to the Conference Finals - but that's a lot better than the hopeless situation in Minny
                                Could be like the Timberwolves...

...could be like the Warriors
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X