Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    No doubt, size + skill is a great combo. However, the "Ellenson's a great shooter" chatter is eerily reminiscent of the hype around Bargs. Actual numbers be damned.... look at that shooting form.
    You don't like Ellenson's shooting form?

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      haven't talked much about our other pick since i doubt they keep it but if they did a couple players i like are Malik Beasley (super athletic, efficient on offense, defense needs work but it's more of a recklessness thing) and Caris Levert (injuries are a red flag but he's a jack of all trades type guy, excellent shooter)
      Our pick at 27 is where you take a flier on sleepers and long-shots (like Thon Maker or Diamond Stone) or internationals (like Zhou Qi, or Petr Cornelie). However I'd like us to maybe trade it down to somebody like the Bucks for pick #'s 36 and 38 and then I'd love to see us take a shot at Chinanu Onuaku, Pascal Siakam, Gary Paton II or Ben Bentil. Because honestly I don't see a really big drop-off after pick # 20 or much difference between 25 and 40.
      Last edited by myklk; Thu Jun 9, 2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        I do like Ellenson's shooting form. I just don't like the results. Which is the point I'm trying to make. A shooter is somebody who make shots, not somebody who looks really good missing shots.

Comment

I do like Ellenson's shooting form. I just don't like the results. Which is the point I'm trying to make. A shooter is somebody who make shots, not somebody who looks really good missing shots.
          I do think there was a degree of difficulty situation, not unlike DeMar's "horrible" midrange shot - putting a lot of pressure on the D, but shooting shots stepping back etc that wouldn't typically be advised.

I don't really know why his % wasn't better, but I do know he's regarded as The best big man shooter in this draft.

Comment

• The poll is showing that the top three picks RR readers want Masai to choose are:
            Davis, Skal and, Murray.
            Maybe it should be a pool instead of a poll
            - which means you need to put your money where your mouth is.
            If you were a betting person, where would you put your money?
            Who will the Raps actually pick?

Here are my betting picks - this is who I believe Masai WILL take ...
            - if he keeps the picks they have, and
            - as long as Jamal Murray or Dragan Bender don't fall to them
            (ok, granted, an "all bets are off" cheap opt out).

#9 Domantis Sabonis - NBA ready PF who is developing a good shot and has a high motor.
            # 27 Chinanu Onuaku - this is a Bismack Biyombo replacement.

However, because there is significant value in the second round without guaranteed contracts, I would also bet that Masai trades at least one of the picks to get a cheaper option for a couple of players from the second round.

Comment

Does shooting 28.8% from the college 3-pt line make you a shooter? That's exactly what Ellenson did. He does takes a lot of shots, though.
              yeah his percentages aren't great for sure
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Give me Yabsule!!

Kid reminds me so much of Draymond and before anyone says it, he looks a lot more well rounded than Bennett, looks to do everything better and is built like a Mack truck and not chubby and poorly conditioned like AB. I think he's going to be an absolute steal.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Scouts love his form but that follow through isn't good at all. He flicks his hand inwards when he's releasing the ball. Probably why he was so inconsistent.

Comment

• myklk wrote: View Post
                    However, because there is significant value in the second round without guaranteed contracts, I would also bet that Masai trades at least one of the picks to get a cheaper option for a couple of players from the second round.
                    I would say the three options for a trade down to the second round would be:

1. Our #27 for Houston's 37 and 43 (since they don't have a first rounder) and maybe that will sweeten the TRoss to Houston for TJones trade (although 27 + Ross for TJones would be a steal - forget the second rounders).

2. Our #27 for Milwaukee's 36 and 38

3. Our #27 for New Orlean's 39 and 40

4. I don't think Boston wants another first rounder given they have 3 already but who knows? They have 5 second rounders.

Comment

1. Our #27 for Houston's 37 and 43 (since they don't have a first rounder) and maybe that will sweeten the TRoss to Houston for TJones trade (although 27 + Ross for TJones would be a steal - forget the second rounders).

4. I don't think Boston wants another first rounder given they have 3 already but who knows? They have 5 second rounders.
                      I can see Boston selling some of those second rounders to Brooklyn and/or NY.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                        Bonus it seems like you and I are the only ones who want Luwawu... Everyone else will see!!!
                        I really really hope Masai agrees

Comment

None of these will happen. Masai doesn't want multiple rookies on the bench this year - our team is pretty young as it is. He's not going to trade for further low-end picks.

Boston wants more rookies even less than we do. They want a star and didn't get the top-two slots necessary to get one of the two players who will almost certainly be stars. They'll probably keep #3, and use all their other first-rounders to trade for a star. Kevin Love is probably the most obvious choice - Cleveland doesn't want picks either, but first-rounders will let Cleveland retool their roster in trades.

Comment

• I think the video a page back was saying Ellenson was aroung 50% from the corners, and then a lot lower on all other 3s. Since the corners aren't any shallower than elsewhere on the NCAA 3-point line, this is unlikely to be a range issue and is more likely to be a 'flow of offense' issue: that he's got a high percentage from the corners because he's got his feet set and space to get the shot off easily, and lower elsewhere because he's shooting more contested, off-the-dribble 3s, in an offence that is asking him to create in ways that no NBA offence would. That's the sort of thing you can check in workouts though. It sounds as though he has shot the ball well in workouts including with the Raptors, so this would support the idea that range is not the problem.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                              None of these will happen. Masai doesn't want multiple rookies on the bench this year - our team is pretty young as it is. He's not going to trade for further low-end picks.

Boston wants more rookies even less than we do. They want a star and didn't get the top-two slots necessary to get one of the two players who will almost certainly be stars. They'll probably keep #3, and use all their other first-rounders to trade for a star. Kevin Love is probably the most obvious choice - Cleveland doesn't want picks either, but first-rounders will let Cleveland retool their roster in trades.
                              Agree that the Raps are going to be reluctant to add any more rookies let alone 2 this year. The D League is great but you have to be a roster player to go there and be able to come up to the big team and play. Thats the design point for the Raps. Adding a couple more guys to the end of the bench could kill you when you inevitably run into injury and you only go 9 deep on your roster with bona fide ready NBA players.

Agree that Boston continues that strategy to try to get an impact/star player via trade or free agency. Their team is loaded with mid 1st round picks and they are pretty much stuck where they are. To reach for the ECF and beyond you just can't keep adding the Patrick Young, Terry Rozier, Jordan Mickey, Tyler Zeller and RJ Hunter type players and move ahead.

While some of the posse believes the Raps are a treadmill team the Celtics are closer to that moniker than not until they get an all star calibre player.. not that Isiah Thomas isn't but it takes a great leap of faith to feel that a 5 foot 8 inch guy is going to lead you in the playoffs.

Think St. Danny is going to to chase one of Butler or Love via trade. He's a curious negotiator. He lowballs at the trade deadline ...then a la BC..... wildly overpays at the draft. Remember the offer of 4 first rounders to move up to 9 to get Winslow ? If he can't get Chicago or Cleveland to bite on draft picks and his huge array of ok'ish young talent then he will take a run at Al Horford IF Horford wants to leave Atlanta. Think the spanish speakers on bostons south side are few and far between though and Al either stays in Atlanta or joins the Heat as a replacement for Bosh/Whiteside.
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Jun 9, 2016, 03:43 PM.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Even more surprising :

Calipari, appearing on ESPNU’s College Basketball podcast, said Murray is “the safe No. 1.” Calipari added that he’s had No. 1 picks who have been an MVP (Derrick Rose) and a rookie of the year (Karl-Anthony Towns).

Calipari coached No. 1 picks Rose at Memphis and Towns, Anthony Davis and John Wall at Kentucky.

“If you’re going to take the No. 1 pick, you probably should do it from our program,” Calipari said.

Calipari said Murray could be the best player to come out of this NBA draft five years from now. Murray is projected to go as high as No. 3, where the Boston Celtics select. Coincidentally, Murray worked out for Boston on Wednesday, knocking down a Celtics workout record 79 of 100 3-pointers during the session.

“I believe I’m the best player in the draft, but every team needs what they need,” Murray said after the workout.

Murray said he would do four team workouts: Boston, Phoenix, Minnesota and New Orleans. He also credited Calipari on preparing him for the NBA, saying, “Coach Cal really makes you look good.”

“He can stretch the defense, play off the ball and the NBA is going position less,” Calipari said on the podcast. “He can flat-out shoot the ball and is physically ready.”

When asked why the Sixers should take Murray over Simmons or Ingram, Calipari said, “What does Philadelphia need more than anything else? Someone to make shots and guard play. I am biased. I want my guy. But he can play multiple positions, he can physically step in and play right away. He can play the point. He can score in bunches. You watch Golden State. Who really is their point guard? Whoever has it.”

Comment

Working...
                                X