Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranking the Rookies - Who is going to contribute the most this year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powell, Bruno and Bebe are not gonna get minutes. So Wright

Comment

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that you can only have a max of 3 guys from the main roster on the d-league roster. Assuming they have Bruno and the 15th man on the D-league team for the better part of the year that leaves Bebe/Norman/Wright to rotate in that last d-league spot. Given the depth at wing and the fact that Powell's strengths aren't really needed I'd say he spends most of the time in that last d-league spot. That leaves Wright and Bebe as the most likely candidates. I think that Wright is going to end up playing a large part in the team, because I don't think Scola ends up getting much pt later in the year.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that you can only have a max of 3 guys from the main roster on the d-league roster. Assuming they have Bruno and the 15th man on the D-league team for the better part of the year that leaves Bebe/Norman/Wright to rotate in that last d-league spot. Given the depth at wing and the fact that Powell's strengths aren't really needed I'd say he spends most of the time in that last d-league spot. That leaves Wright and Bebe as the most likely candidates. I think that Wright is going to end up playing a large part in the team, because I don't think Scola ends up getting much pt later in the year.
          I heard Casey said Scola's gonna start. But the smart money seems to be on Patterson winning that job.

I have an inkling they'll compliment each other well.

Any-Who. I think Bebe has a shot at crashing his way into some minutes.

Not a bet. More a hope.

The guy's name is "Bebe"! And he's 7' tall. How cool is that?
          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sun Aug 9, 2015, 03:56 AM.

Comment

If training camp ends and this is the depth chart as camp breaks then I think Stormin Norman Powell might be the guy to make a contribution this year.

Centre JV - Bizmak - Bebe
            PF - Ppat - Scola - one of Ronald Roberts / Micheal Kyser or Alex Toupane
            SF - Carroll - JJ - Bruno
            SG - Demar - Ross - Powell
            PG - Kyle - Joseph - Wright

At the 5 both JV and Bizmak have proved to be pretty durable so they are going to play the lions share of games in big or small ball. Am hoping that Bebe gets some time .. more time than Steamer minutes .....because at some time you have to road test this guy to see what you have. Bizmak is not a "vet" so while its a long shot Casey might tinker here.

Can't think that the winner of the camp battle for a roster spot at PF will see much PT at all.. especially with the idea that Carroll may log minutes at the 4 as well.

Its conceivable that Ross slots into the 2guard slot behind DD as camp ends. Its just as conceivable that Ross's play during a stretch early in the season is the equivalent of witness protection and Powell gets some floor time to see if that pretty impressive showing during summer league wasn't a fluke and he can do it at the NBA level. Given the nonchalance with which Ross has approached his career this has a good not high probability of happening. If Powell can bring the same offensive game and raw guts and want to he can take a lot of minutes from Ross.

Bruno is just not NBA ready yet. He got bigger and stronger last year and this year he gets to see how he does in the D league.. just no real chance to crack the lineup at SF behind Carroll and JJ ...Ross may see some time here as well further opening some PT for Powell.

Wright is going to see minutes in the 4 to 8 mpg range along with garbage time minutes. However if Joseph struggles a bit in a new system there is no reason why those minutes can't be upped to 8 to 12 mpg. So he will contribute as well as Powell. Don't think Joseph will sturggle though.

Think the difference this year is that there are no clear vet favourites for Dwane to favour coming off the bench. Its like the scene in Moneyball where Billy Bean trades guys so that the players he wants to see play have to play as there is no one else. While its not that extreme with the Raps there isn't the Lou's and Chucks and Hansbroughs to take time away as easily as they might have had not Ujiri rolled the roster over.

So looking for Powell to lead the charge as a contributor followed by Wright and Bebe. Next year is Bruno's year.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Aug 9, 2015, 04:40 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              Bruno and Bebe are still rookies in that they haven't played signficant minutes in their careers to date.
              Powell and Wright are brand spanking new.
              So of the four musketeers who in your opinion has the best chance to make a mark this year and why ?

Poll open as well.
              They've been there learning though. So they're not rookies.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll go with Bebe.

Bruno - He's a #Raptors905 player who won't see any meaningful minutes this season.

Delon Wright - Given how Casey manages minutes for young players, and his general approach/attitude towards them, I can't convince myself that Wright's going to have a major say. I'm thinking Roko Ukic type usage.

Powell - Unless the bench is really struggling to score, which basically implies that Ross is completely useless, Powell's PT's going to be limited. He might get minutes here and there, but in terms of impact, chances are I don't think it'll be huge.

For Bebe, if he's not stashed in the D-League, he should be able to get playing time because he's the type of player that is most suited to small-ball. He's mobile, a decent passer in all practical areas of the court, and can complete for rebounds. What is holding him back is that he's not very strong and would still get muscled around too easily, and other than finishing close to the rim, he has no shot-making ability. So yeah, Bebe because he's most suited to the style, and seriously, if not now then when?

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  I'll go with Bebe.

Bruno - He's a #Raptors905 player who won't see any meaningful minutes this season.

Delon Wright - Given how Casey manages minutes for young players, and his general approach/attitude towards them, I can't convince myself that Wright's going to have a major say. I'm thinking Roko Ukic type usage.

Powell - Unless the bench is really struggling to score, which basically implies that Ross is completely useless, Powell's PT's going to be limited. He might get minutes here and there, but in terms of impact, chances are I don't think it'll be huge.

For Bebe, if he's not stashed in the D-League, he should be able to get playing time because he's the type of player that is most suited to small-ball. He's mobile, a decent passer in all practical areas of the court, and can complete for rebounds. What is holding him back is that he's not very strong and would still get muscled around too easily, and other than finishing close to the rim, he has no shot-making ability. So yeah, Bebe because he's most suited to the style, and seriously, if not now then when?
                  Bebe will get minutes I think. Powell plays better defence so he will inch his way to competing with Ross

and Wright will get 5-10 per game because Casey will want to monitor Lowry down the stretch.

Comment

Powell and Bruno should get tons of minutes in the D-League and worry about nothing else, Bebe should get a small but consistent role off the bench with the Raptors to help his development move along, and Wright is the most likely to get the most minutes.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      How about there will be no significant contributions by Raptors rookies? To contribute you need playing time and DC is not known for giving rookies minutes. It is possible they could still contribute in practice and on the bench giving support for those players that see the floor.
                      " To contribute you need playing time ".
                      MIC DROP!

Now close the thread.

Comment

First of all, 2 or 3 guys should be able to get minutes; we're not trying to get the best record in history.
                        The EAST IS HOT GARBAGE, why not make the most of it and try to develop a couple of rookies.
                        Of course, Wile E. Coyote Casey will have none of that and will probably play Lowry 40min/night til he breaks down AGAIN.

Why do you assume that Powell is not ready? Defense translates well in the NBA, I think if he gets in the line-up, it'll be hard to to get him out. He plays hard on D and doesn'T hold the offense hostage.
                        Don't forget we still have a lot of horrible defenders and lost one of our best (Amir)...so contribution on the D end would be very welcomed.
                        Bebe should get a legit shot to compete vs "Man of Steel hands" Byombo; of course it's not gonna happen and will be glued to the bench.
                        Casey is on the verge of causing some serious damage to this franchise (Ross, JV, DD, ...) , and fingers will be pointed to MU for keeping him soo freaking long.

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        I'm with Dan, the only player that might get significant time would be Wright if CoJo or Lowry get injured, which even as a best case scenario probably will happen for a handful of games.

Wright is also old enough and a ball handler so Casey may not restrict him as much as he usually does with rooks.

Bebe has an outside shot if he outplays Biyombo AND if Scola or JV get injured. I don't see any scenario where Casey trusts him more than Scola/JV, and even if he does he'll just be rebounding and setting picks, so his numbers won't show much.

Powell could get some good junktime stats but he's definitely not ready. Even the great 2nd round picks never did much in their first year.

And Bruno.........as the PC ads like to say, he's just not ready.....nice hair though.

Comment

My vote would be for Delon.

There is only one guy in the starting line up that can handle the ball and create so Cojo and Delon are going to get a lot of burn playing along side each other and Lowry through the season.

Comment

My vote would be for Wright.

Given DC's stated affinity for small-ball, the likelihood that JJ will inevitably land in the doghouse at some point throughout the season, Ross having spent lots of time at the SF spot in the past, and the history of 2 PG sets off the bench (ie: GV & Lou), I could see a 2nd unit lineup featuring Ross, Joseph and Wright getting lots of playing time (most likely with Scola and either Biyombo or JJ).

Comment

Not The Wright Situation

Won't be Wright. With the Cojo signing he got demoted to probable bench warmer/ role player.

Comment

Interesting that people assume Casey will give Biyombo minutes. In my opinion he is a lot more raw than Bebe.

Comment

Working...
                                X