RAPTORS v CLIPPERS - preseason game 1 - OCT 4th at 7pm on TS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Another factor in JV and DD is one was guarded by a perrenial DPOY candidate and the other by Reddick.
    this is great. lol

true, and sad, but great.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      Offensively, JV looked like the JV of last year. The guy has NO IDEA what to do with the ball in the post. Turnovers after turnovers. Only positive is, at least he doesn't post up near the 3pt line anymore lol. But it's only one game.

DeRozan was terrible.The ball stopped when it got to his hands.
      Agree 100%. I've told y'all his brain got a delay button or something. Quite obvious awareness problems.

Is it possible that JV can't control an adrenaline rush? That would explain tunnel vision and awareness problems.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        Agree 100%. I've told y'all his brain got a delay button or something. Quite obvious awareness problems.

Is it possible that JV can't control an adrenaline rush? That would explain tunnel vision and awareness problems.
        They were force feeding JV. A lot of times he wasn't in great position but he didn't have options. It was a clear out ISO. In preseason its OK but Raptor should have everyone trying to get open. They attempted 3 3PA in the first half

Comment

• Sorry to say but you gotta get used to it. That dude is going to be here for a while

Comment

He's only going to get better if they put him in more situations where he needs to be better. You can't learn this kind of stuff properly in practice. Very few bigs come into the league as good passers, and frankly very few are good passers. Most have to adapt as they get used to being a high-USG option in the post.

I mean, who remembers Bosh's early years? He was atrocious at passing out of the post or off his drives. But he got unlimited leash to get better on the court, and it paid off. He's still not a great passer as well. Don't need JV to be Divac or Gasol(either one really) out there, just need to get him enough reps in situations where there are passing options he'll need to make. Easy passes to the perimeter and to cutters.

Comment

That's the word i'm looking for: Awareness. No awareness in his game.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Crushing beers in a hut on a frozen lake while staring into an ice hole for a few hours as an idea of entertainment will do that to you.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                  That's the word i'm looking for: Awareness. No awareness in his game.
                  Awareness from the post needs to be developed.

Remember, JV had no post up game whatsoever coming into the draft. It's not a situation he was at all accustomed to. He was a p'n'r big man with a budding mid-range shot. A finisher who operated mostly off the ball. And only last year did they really start working through him in the post, and then in horribly simplistic clear-out sets with bad entry passes and often no real options to make passes back out.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Crushing beers in a hut on a frozen lake while staring into an ice hole for a few hours as an idea of entertainment will do that to you.
                    Haha, but for real though.. How does adrenaline affect NBA athletes?

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                      I'm glad we got Carroll, gives Ross a chance to finally play his natural position instead of being forced to guard bigger, stronger wings. Part of the reason I think why he is happy, and so engaged in the game.
                      Ross is a backcourt player and it's folly to use him outside of that unless forced into it. He's very quick laterally for a guy of his height, and he's never going to be strong enough to bang with a fair chunk of SFs. Hopefully, now that he's apparently healthy and should play mostly his natural spot, he can build off the strong 2nd season he had and put last year's disappointment behind him.

Comment

• Big fear is Casey turns JV into the C version of Demar. Demar is a good player but he is a step below elite scorers. JV is good but definitely below a Shaq or Duncan. Running clear outs will mean a low % volume scorer

Comment

Big fear is Casey turns JV into the C version of Demar. Demar is a good player but he is a step below elite scorers. JV is good but definitely below a Shaq or Duncan. Running clear outs will mean a low % volume scorer
                          I wish there was a video available that only showed the possessions from last night's game when JV was given the ball down low, to highlight the complete lack of movement from his teammates.

Yes, JV needs to get more decisive in his decision-making, especially if he's going to shoot a jumper (hesitation kills).

Yes, JV needs to be more protective of the ball and not lose track of his defender.

However, those are all 'feel' type issues, which can only be improved via live-game practice and repetition. It's also important that the plays drawn up also call for lots of off-ball movement, otherwise he'll be turned into another black hole, which is exactly what this team doesn't need.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I wish there was a video available that only showed the possessions from last night's game when JV was given the ball down low, to highlight the complete lack of movement from his teammates.

Yes, JV needs to get more decisive in his decision-making, especially if he's going to shoot a jumper (hesitation kills).

Yes, JV needs to be more protective of the ball and not lose track of his defender.

However, those are all 'feel' type issues, which can only be improved via live-game practice and repetition. It's also important that the plays drawn up also call for lots of off-ball movement, otherwise he'll be turned into another black hole, which is exactly what this team doesn't need.
                            I think that the first couple plays of the game that are called for JV shouldn't be post up plays. But a pick and roll that's designed to get him moving to the basket for easy buckets. I think that a couple plays where he catches and goes up a foot away without any need to think or evaluate would help to set the tone for the rest of the game.

Also I wonder if he had better involvement throughout the game, instead of a heavy 8 minutes at the start, if he would be able to find a rhythm and let the game happen a little easier for himself.

Comment

Big fear is Casey turns JV into the C version of Demar. Demar is a good player but he is a step below elite scorers. JV is good but definitely below a Shaq or Duncan. Running clear outs will mean a low % volume scorer
                              Instead of clear-outs, I don't understand why we don't run cutters to the basket when JV is the post, even as mis-direction to keep the defense off balance. JJ, Ross, DD, Carroll & even Joseph and Lowry would/should be great at that. Cuts to the basket are the most efficient play in basketball (NBA, at least)...

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?PT...r&OD=offensive

Comment

Haha, but for real though.. How does adrenaline affect NBA athletes?
                                This explains somewhat I think....I believe it's a generic phenomena to all athletes...there may also be an individual physiological component unique to each re amount produced. Dont know if one can control it's production in terms of amount or timing. The pro athlete (rather than a you or me playing a sport) however is probably just more sensitized by virtue of his/her environment (crowd, responsibility etc.).

Manifestations...

http://www.scienceofpeople.com/2013/...age-in-sports/

Edit: I would add that in terms of producing adrenaline...special music, screaming slogans, helmet to helmet banging may be helpful!

Here is another piece which speaks to "situational awareness" in the context of an adrenaline rush and can be transferable to an NBA athlete (half way down):

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...al-real-crisis
                                Last edited by Bendit; Mon Oct 5, 2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X