• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jv needs spacing and Derozan doesn't fit. We need a perimeter sg imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I wish there was a video available that only showed the possessions from last night's game when JV was given the ball down low, to highlight the complete lack of movement from his teammates.

Yes, JV needs to get more decisive in his decision-making, especially if he's going to shoot a jumper (hesitation kills).

Yes, JV needs to be more protective of the ball and not lose track of his defender.

However, those are all 'feel' type issues, which can only be improved via live-game practice and repetition. It's also important that the plays drawn up also call for lots of off-ball movement, otherwise he'll be turned into another black hole, which is exactly what this team doesn't need.
      our sets have been brutal for years.

Demar gets what can maximize him, outside of that it is purely stand around.

Pick and rolls with JV and Lowry with carroll running cuts should be lethal....so we wont see it.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        Not one exhibition game, more like his whole career. We'll find out if this season is any different.
        Every season is different. Good players adapt to new requirements. It's highly probable DD who has worked on most everything that has been asked of him will seamlessly slide into a more pass oriented offence if he is asked to.
        He hasn't really been asked that in the prior two seasons. He was asked to score.
        Before you rush to judgement on this season...give it at least to the end of November to see if DD adapts to a shared offence scheme. Guy wants to win and will do what's asked of him.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          Every season is different. Good players adapt to new requirements. It's highly probable DD who has worked on most everything that has been asked of him will seamlessly slide into a more pass oriented offence if he is asked to.
          He hasn't really been asked that in the prior two seasons. He was asked to score.
          Before you rush to judgement on this season...give it at least to the end of November to see if DD adapts to a shared offence scheme. Guy wants to win and will do what's asked of him.
          Not judging, but you are right. I'm just saying he's been the same for pretty much his whole career. Of course part of it has to do with the iso heavy offense of last season and the losing team we've had before 2 seasons ago. I'm hoping he changes into a more passing-oriented player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DD is the same player for every year in his career, I am not sure how all of a sudden the last 2 years he has been told to not pass the ball.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              His a athletic scorer who finds his teammates when he starts drawing extra attention. His top 10 at getting to the line and his a good defender.
              That sounds great in theory but he actually isnt very good at those things (minus FTA). I would like to hear your answers to the following:

1) How does his scoring ability from the mid range and FT line help the team? Would the Raps be better if we played a SG who could consistently hit threes vs how DeMar scores? (Even if it is less ppg)

2) In order for DDs passing ability to show, he needs to act as the primary ball handler. Who would you rather have as your primary ball handler, Lowry or DD?

3) DD is very poor at swinging the ball, would the offense not benefit from having someone who has leds assists but made quicker decisions at his position?

4) DD still has a long way to go defensively. He habitually goes under the screen and now we are implementing an ICE system which requires him to get above the screener. If he doesnt consistently ICE screens due to habit he could throw the whole defense out of wack

5) What on court production does he provide that is worth 20+ million? Is it worth his "holes"?

You often reply with blanket statements that come across as rushed or were not given much thought and Im curious as to WHY and HOW you believe in your statements. Im blinded by hate (hehe), show me why Im wrong with my train of thought wrt to DD

Comment

I'm glad we got Carroll, gives Ross a chance to finally play his natural position instead of being forced to guard bigger, stronger wings. Part of the reason I think why he is happy, and so engaged in the game.
                I'm glad we have Carroll too. The only thing I would add is that the plays Ross was making yesterday had nothing to do with playing at SG or SF. They were mostly effort and awareness. But yes, banging with bigger players through the grind of a full season will wear him out and I think the results of that were evident last season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  I'm glad we have Carroll too. The only thing I would add is that the plays Ross was making yesterday had nothing to do with playing at SG or SF. They were mostly effort and awareness. But yes, banging with bigger players through the grind of a full season will wear him out and I think the results of that were evident last season.
                  Yeah what he did yesterday was for the most part effort and awareness, but having to guard bigger, stronger wings seems to take a toll on him mentally, which affects his confidence and his overall game including his effort. Ross doesn't seem strong enough mentally to guard guys like Lebron, KD, Melo and so on for a whole season. I think he'll play a lot better coming off the bench and guarding the opposition's back up SG.

All Raptors' fans hoped he'd become a terrific 3 and D starter, but at this point I'm just hoping he can do what he did yesterday consistently.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                    DD is the same player for every year in his career, I am not sure how all of a sudden the last 2 years he has been told to not pass the ball.
                    Somewhere out there in print or in a vine , when DD came back from his groin injury last year, is a Casey presser where the assembled media hordes were talking/asking about DD's assists during a game. Casey takes the question and then says something along the lines of "thats nice but we need and want him to score.
                    So if thats what the coach says thats what you do or you wind up like JJ with a prime piece of pine.
                    If the offensive scheme stresses more ball movement and more passing watch DD get with the program. We may still bemoan his shooting percentages but he will do what the coach asks him to do.

Before you hang DC for ISO style ball think back or watch the Cavs during last years playoff run. They simply cleared a side for Lebron and he goes one on many . Down the stretch they also cleared a side for Irving and he goes one on many or kicks out to Love every now and again. It worked till they simply got outmanned by GSW in the finals but that was close to 75% of their offensive sets.
                    Of course it was LBJ.. but its still ISO ball which gets talked about here like genital herpes.
                    - TGO

Comment

Somewhere out there in print or in a vine , when DD came back from his groin injury last year, is a Casey presser where the assembled media hordes were talking/asking about DD's assists during a game. Casey takes the question and then says something along the lines of "thats nice but we need and want him to score.
                      So if thats what the coach says thats what you do or you wind up like JJ with a prime piece of pine.
                      If the offensive scheme stresses more ball movement and more passing watch DD get with the program. We may still bemoan his shooting percentages but he will do what the coach asks him to do.

Before you hang DC for ISO style ball think back or watch the Cavs during last years playoff run. They simply cleared a side for Lebron and he goes one on many . Down the stretch they also cleared a side for Irving and he goes one on many or kicks out to Love every now and again. It worked till they simply got outmanned by GSW in the finals but that was close to 75% of their offensive sets.
                      Of course it was LBJ.. but its still ISO ball which gets talked about here like genital herpes.

Awful lot of ifs in the first part.

And you are comparing a lebron James led cavs team to a Lowry led raptors team that for some reason utilizes demar at nearly 30%

Comment

I think we can all agree that if you have Lebron James, then you can have any coach, use any system, have injuries to star players and still make it to the finals. I suppose that's what a 'transcendent' player does. Rises above poor/mediocre coaching, inferior teammates, opposition schemes, etc..., and still gets the job done.

Comment

Wait wait wait...You're comparing Casey's style of iso ball to Lebron? The man that average 36, 13 and 9 in the Finals? Yeah the Cavs lost, but thats because of injuries and the Warriors depth. ISO ball gets talked like genital herpes here is because we don't have a Lebron, or a KD for that matter. OKC has been really iso heavy with Scott Brooks, and it worked because they had KD and Westbrook. We have Derozan...

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                            Awful lot of ifs in the first part.

And you are comparing a lebron James led cavs team to a Lowry led raptors team that for some reason utilizes demar at nearly 30%
                            Just drawing your attention to possiblilities.

On the IF's... When a pro level coach suggest you do something its pretty much a rhetorical statement. We constantly wonder why Johnson sits. One of the reasons maybe he just doesn't do what he has been "asked" to do during games.

I think we saw some of the new scheme last night. Its only one effing game but there was a discernable pattern, more often than not, of moving the ball and swinging it back.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              JV went 4-10 with 5 turnovers for 10 points. Oh he had 0 assist as well but all I'm reading is "he looked so confident in his jump shot" lol. Man, some are you are so bias its sad and its only preseason.
                              What the hell, dude? You going to ignore the paragraph of criticism I wrote on JV's game just so you can perpetuate your "DD hater" narrative? JV at least posted tremendous rebounding numbers while dealing with THE elite rebounder in the game today - DD had a crappy game being guarded by JJ Redick.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Wait wait wait...You're comparing Casey's style of iso ball to Lebron? The man that average 36, 13 and 9 in the Finals? Yeah the Cavs lost, but thats because of injuries and the Warriors depth. ISO ball gets talked like genital herpes here is because we don't have a Lebron, or a KD for that matter. OKC has been really iso heavy with Scott Brooks, and it worked because they had KD and Westbrook. We have Derozan...
                                And Scott Brooks got fired because of multiple post-season failures because they would have moments when they couldn't score

Sooooooo #FireCasey still

Comment

Working...
                                X