Raptors 2016 Trade Deadline - Dec 15th 2015 - Feb 18th 2016 @ 3pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Side-grades are not the path to a title.
    Exactly. Neither is believing Bismack is a starting center
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Exactly. Neither is believing Bismack is a starting center
      Yeah that's my other huge problem with trading JV for Horford. Not only is BB not a starting center, even if he was or magically becomes one, we wouldn't be able to re-sign him. You're not signing the starting center for a 55-ish win team for the MLE.

We need to either look to consolidate our non-essential players and picks into stars, or if we are going to trade guys like DeMar, Kyle, JV, they need to be moved for guys who are legitimate concrete upgrades and star players. Not guys who have roughly the same impact on a game.

Comment

I didn't mean to present my opinion as fact. But it's annoying as hell seeing people suggest trading DeRozan or Valanciunas in ADDITION to other assets for Horford who is older than both players, not signed long-term like JV and has no attachment to the team like DeRozan in terms of staying. Also would not be any sort of significant upgrade if he'd even be an upgrade at all. For all intents and purposes, one could legitimately argue that DeRozan is a better player than Horford right now. And JV with increased opportunity probably could be as well.

This faction crap is just getting annoying. You see all the DeRozan supporters wanting to run JV out of town and the opposite going the other way. Here's an idea. Both guys are fucking good, their ages aren't so far apart that they can't play together for the next 4-5 years, you don't break that up unless it's for one of the best 10-15 players in the game (someone who's on par with or better than Lowry and there are not many of those guys around).
        I'm not a JV hater by any stretch of the imagination. I love love JV! I just think that AH age n skill set give us a win now chance .. Horford is a more versatile player ( PF/C, and hits 3s at 34%) I only add JV to the trade because of salary and .. I think ATL would make that trade ( over offering PPat n fillers)
        I don't disagree that JV has huge upside, and hell good chance he becomes a star player ! I'm just willing to roll the dice now .. On a player that is currently better. ( tho.. DanH brought up a good point that .. Biz would be hard to re-sign this off season, if he becomes our starter )
        That commevt changes my view a little bit

Comment

Yeah that's my other huge problem with trading JV for Horford. Not only is BB not a starting center, even if he was or magically becomes one, we wouldn't be able to re-sign him. You're not signing the starting center for a 55-ish win team for the MLE.

We need to either look to consolidate our non-essential players and picks into stars, or if we are going to trade guys like DeMar, Kyle, JV, they need to be moved for guys who are legitimate concrete upgrades and star players. Not guys who have roughly the same impact on a game.
          I'm thought of as a DeMar hater by many around here, and this is 100% how I feel. We don't need to win now, we're a young team with a lot of developing pieces. Why would we go all in to win now unless it makes us a favorite to do so?

We don't need to be buyers or sellers, we can take a push on this season, and if we can re-sign DeMar next year almost all of our core pieces stand to get better, because they're young.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
            I'm thought of as a DeMar hater by many around here, and this is 100% how I feel. We don't need to win now, we're a young team with a lot of developing pieces. Why would we go all in to win now unless it makes us a favorite to do so?

We don't need to be buyers or sellers, we can take a push on this season, and if we can re-sign DeMar next year almost all of our core pieces stand to get better, because they're young.
            I'm not against that .. It's been brought up that our best player is nearing the twilight of his career... He probably doesn't have a ton of years left at this level of play .. That's the only sence of urgency .. If Lowry was 26//27 playing like this ... I'd be right there with you ! I'm just worried that this is a decent window for us, while both DD AND Lowry are playing this well

Comment

• How is Lowry in the twilight of his career?

Comment

How is Lowry in the twilight of his career?
                Read it again .. NEARING !!

Comment

How is Lowry in the twilight of his career?
                  He's what .. 30? He doesn't have a ton of years left playing at this level !
                  That's all I meant man

Comment

• Here's the way I look at our roster in regards to this trade deadline.

Untouchable
                    Lowry

Better be getting a superstar back
                    DeRozan
                    Valanciunas

Only if a major star talent is coming in
                    Ross
                    Patterson
                    Caboclo (this is probably stupid, but I'm still high on his upside)
                    Knicks/Nuggets Pick

Prefer to keep, would trade if necessary to make deal happen
                    CoJo
                    Biyombo
                    Raptors 2017 Pick

Will include to make a deal work
                    Bebe
                    Delon Wright
                    Norman Powell
                    Raptors 2016 Pick
                    Clippers 2017 Pick

Take them
                    Luis Scola
                    James Johnson
                    Anthony Bennett

Comment

• One thing to keep in mind about the deadline: Toronto is hopefully going to get a healthy Carroll back. Given that he has barely played this year (and was hurt for almost the entire time he was playing) this is basically like getting a top-10(?) starting small forward for free at the deadline. He represents a massive upgrade over JJ, let alone Powell.

As for other big deals, swapping out key pieces for new key pieces doesn't, at least to me, make a lot of sense. The idea would have to be to add to the key rotation players they already have - not exchange them. Adding Horford would be absolutely awesome - if you're adding him to play PF beside JV. But replacing JV with him leaves us with Scola/PP at the PF spot or, alternatively, Biz/Bebe at the 5. Not clear to me any of that moves the needle to contender status. That's why I still think the big move is going to have to wait until the offseason, for better or worse.

Comment

Here's the way I look at our roster in regards to this trade deadline.

Untouchable
                        Lowry
                        DeRozan

Valanciunas

Ross
                        Patterson
                        Knicks/Nuggets Pick

CoJo
                        Biyombo
                        Raptors 2017 Pick

Bebe
                        Delon Wright
                        Norman Powell
                        Raptors 2016 Pick
                        Clippers 2017 Pick

Take them
                        Luis Scola
                        James Johnson
                        Anthony Bennett
                        FIXED!

U have to consider more than talent coming back.. U have to consider chemistry and the human emotion factor ! Lowry/DD are clearly best best friends .. I think u hurt the morale of the team if u trade away Dero

I put him as untradeable

Comment

• Raps07 wrote: View Post
                          FIXED!

U have to consider more than talent coming back.. U have to consider chemistry and the human emotion factor ! Lowry/DD are clearly best best friends .. I think u hurt the morale of the team if u trade away Dero

I put him as untradeable
                          I said superstar....

So if OKC offered Durant for DeRozan+Knicks Pick right now you would say no?

Comment

• The Dwight trade rumors are scaring me. Raptors turned down an offer apparently which is good, but what's worrying me is Boston. I think they'd make a move for him and in their defense first system he could actually be an excellent anchor.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              This thread has become pretty trash with the exception of a couple quality posters trying to keep things sane. Everybody else is just throwing shit at the wall trying to trade players they're biased against.
                              I blame Masai for the lack of leaks for people to actually talk about
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Here's the way I look at our roster in regards to this trade deadline.

Untouchable
                                Lowry

DeRozan
                                Valanciunas

Ross
                                Patterson
                                Knicks/Nuggets Pick

CoJo
                                Biyombo
                                Raptors 2017 Pick

Bebe
                                Delon Wright
                                Norman Powell
                                Raptors 2016 Pick
                                Clippers 2017 Pick

Take them
                                Luis Scola
                                James Johnson