The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    I think the key to keeping Kyle is not slipping backwards. They need to show signs of improvement. Also consider he likes having his own team. The reason he was trouble in Houston was because their view of him and his view of himself didn't align. He viewed himself as he is now, a main guy.
    We're not trading Lowry. You don't sign robin to a 28M per 5 year deal only to trade Batman

I don't buy KL was that much of a problem in Houston. I think McKale has to take a share of the blame, and I think he actually did. Is Kyle head strong? Sure. Does he think he knows best sometimes? Yep. Probably goes over better as a veteran than a young pup in the league. But fans loved that guy in Houston. And Houston tried to get him back. How bad could he have been?

Comment

I'm totally down with Westbrook if he wants to sign an extension. Give him the maximum and be done with it.

A more realistic option would be to go after a guy like Blake Griffin. There are concerns which drop his value a little yet at the same time the upside is still large.
      I think he already stated he wouldn't sign an extension this year. It fiscally makes no sense at all. Especially with the cap boost next year as well. Best option would be to wait and ditch all contracts that have one year left. And try to get as many players under flexible contracts lined up for summer 2017.
      Last edited by c-troop; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

But he was on a team before where he was way down the pecking order and hated it.
        Huh? I'm talking life after basketball brotha... NBC, ESPN, TNT etc. don't take Toronto seriously at all. He'll sign to a respected franchise probably somewhere warm.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
          We're not trading Lowry. You don't sign robin to a 28M per 5 year deal only to trade Batman

I don't buy KL was that much of a problem in Houston. I think McKale has to take a share of the blame, and I think he actually did. Is Kyle head strong? Sure. Does he think he knows best sometimes? Yep. Probably goes over better as a veteran than a young pup in the league. But fans loved that guy in Houston. And Houston tried to get him back. How bad could he have been?
          Batman is gonna fly south on Robin next year.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
            LOL Kyle Lowry is not going to resign with the Raptors next year unless we win a ring .

Which we won't. And he will walk, and sign a bigger contract somewhere warm or highly decorated.

He's competitive. And he is on a team right now with Durant, watching Durant's moves and I'm sure it is influencing him slightly.

When he's playing on the Bulls or the Lakers next season working his way up the post-basketball-broadcasting-ladder you're gonna wish we traded him for a starting PF under a flexible contract.
            Yeah, just like he definitely was going to do that two summers ago, too.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

LOL Kyle Lowry is not going to resign with the Raptors next year unless we win a ring .

Comment

• It was silly before, now it's just absurd. Taken with a Broussard of salt though.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...ing-return-nba
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, just like he definitely was going to do that two summers ago, too.
                  Do you think he just really loves the city? What's going through your head?
                  He wants a championship ring.
                  He's been here for 5 years and he isn't getting younger.
                  Durant left OKC... who were arguably better than Toronto last year.
                  But Kyle is gonna stay in the 6 cause we cheer the loudest and we have Drake and Dwane Casey and he's buds with DeMar... Gimme a break. Haha.

LOL. Sorry for being pessimistic. It's just... Durant... It's been a rollercoaster, I'm sorry guys.

Comment

Which we won't. And he will walk, and sign a bigger contract somewhere warm or highly decorated.

He's competitive. And he is on a team right now with Durant, watching Durant's moves and I'm sure it is influencing him slightly.

When he's playing on the Bulls or the Lakers next season working his way up the post-basketball-broadcasting-ladder you're gonna wish we traded him for a starting PF under a flexible contract.
                    For all the reasons provided your trade idea doesn't work well for us in our stage of development or for Utah in their stage of development. You think... No state - that Kyle will leave us next year if we don't win a championship, but he stays in Utah? You ever been to SLC dude? And what would his leaving do to the development of that team? Not to mention even adding him provides a logjam at guard and takes the lion's share of minutes away, stunting Exum's growth all the while. Utah are not a win now team. They're not going to trade their core young PF's for one year of Lowry. I'd like Lyles OR Favors but Kyle isn't getting traded and shouldn't be traded. And no Cujo isn't a good replacement for him.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                      For all the reasons provided your trade idea doesn't work well for us in our stage of development or for Utah in their stage of development. You think... No state - that Kyle will leave us next year if we don't win a championship, but he stays in Utah? You ever been to SLC dude? And what would his leaving do to the development of that team? Not to mention even adding him provides a logjam at guard and takes the lion's share of minutes away, stunting Exum's growth all the while. Utah are not a win now team. They're not going to trade their core young PF's for one year of Lowry. I'd like Lyles OR Favors but Kyle isn't getting traded and shouldn't be traded. And no Cujo isn't a good replacement for him.
                      I never said he would stay in Utah. For the record I am a huge Kyle Lowry fan. I'm also terrified he's gonna walk next year.

I also said we should explore the possibilities of resigning him or the BPA and there will be multiple talents PGs available. If Lowry is on the Raptors he obviously knows the team is missing pieces. He also knows that his contract is coming up.

If you love something you should set it free... CLE got LeBron back and they benefited huge from his departure.

I'm just looking at the bigger picture further down the road for Toronto, I don't care if Utah crashes and burns by going into "win now mode". Millsap would only be a rental, Horford is in BOS, i wonder if the Magic would trade Gordon for Lowry? I'd personally do it.
                      Last edited by c-troop; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I never said he would stay in Utah. For the record I am a huge Kyle Lowry fan. I'm also terrified he's gonna walk next year.

I also said we should explore the possibilities of resigning him or the BPA and there will be multiple talents PGs available. If Lowry is on the Raptors he obviously knows the team is missing pieces. He also knows that his contract is coming up.

If you love something you should set it free... CLE got LeBron back and they benefited huge from his departure.

I'm just looking at the bigger picture further down the road for Toronto, I don't care if Utah crashes and burns by going into "win now mode". Millsap would only be a rental, Horford is in BOS, i wonder if the Magic would trade Gordon for Lowry? I'd personally do it.
                        cleveland didn't let lebron free. i doubt lowry goes to another team unless we don't pony up the cash, which i doubt we don't do as long as the staff thinks he can play at a franchise player level.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                          It was silly before, now it's just absurd. Taken with a Broussard of salt though.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...ing-return-nba
                          I'm sorry but I gotta go back to the well again:

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            cleveland didn't let lebron free. i doubt lowry goes to another team unless we don't pony up the cash, which i doubt we don't do as long as the staff thinks he can play at a franchise player level.
                            You're right. But you gotta think. If he was down to get traded for key pieces this year, and get resigned next year... in my opinion that's our championship window. Unless Bruno is a lights out ringer hahahaha

And I've always thought its was fishy how perfectly it all worked out for cleveland... it was like they never went through that losing phase.
                            Last edited by c-troop; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Do you think he just really loves the city? What's going through your head?
                              He wants a championship ring.
                              He's been here for 5 years and he isn't getting younger.
                              Durant left OKC... who were arguably better than Toronto last year.
                              But Kyle is gonna stay in the 6 cause we cheer the loudest and we have Drake and Dwane Casey and he's buds with DeMar... Gimme a break. Haha.

LOL. Sorry for being pessimistic. It's just... Durant... It's been a rollercoaster, I'm sorry guys.
                              The thing you're missing here is this was Durant's first real taste of freedom on the free market. Kyle could have had his chance to leave but he wanted to stay here. Not every star in the league can go join the same team. What makes you think he's not going to try and lure someone here instead?

My money is on Kyle sticking around as long as Ujiri doesn't move him. You have Cojo and Wright behind him him. Ujiri is probably the guy who blinks.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 09:55 AM. Reason: .

Comment

• Has a star ever been traded then resigned that year with his original team? That's would be a pretty good move but it would make people mad I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X