The Official 2016 Raptors Summer League Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Here's the same graphic, for every first round pick.

Least possessions per game, best points/possession. Sounds like the Raptors offense.
    That's damning and indefensible. It's typical too that the one game Devlin commentated he never mentioned Poeltl being ignored in the post, whereas Steve Smith and his broadcast partner were harping on it every chance they got. Even Masai had no answer for why Poeltl wasn't getting touches on the block. Given how vocal he was about Valanciunas not getting the ball on NBATV playoff broadcasts, I'm surprised Smith didn't come out and ask Masai why he drafted a post player if their system ignores post play. He's blunt enough to do it.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      Chill out guys.

Maybe just maybe it's based on the fact that he's probably the fourth most important/notable/best player on the team. You can't expect him to get more shots than Bruno as Bruno needs the development more, and Wright and Powell carry this team.

All the other lottery picks are the best/second best on their teams.
      What Bruno needs to do is stop gunning. On top of looking absolutely lost on defense more often than not, he's still launching with reckless abandon every time he touches the ball. It would be different if he were consistently trying to be a playmaker or challenging the defense, but he isn't. I would much rather see Poeltl work on the block, pass out of the post, or try to finish than an endless reel of high pick and roll with no passing.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
        That's damning and indefensible. It's typical too that the one game Devlin commentated he never mentioned Poeltl being ignored in the post, whereas Steve Smith and his broadcast partner were harping on it every chance they got. Even Masai had no answer for why Poeltl wasn't getting touches on the block. Given how vocal he was about Valanciunas not getting the ball on NBATV playoff broadcasts, I'm surprised Smith didn't come out and ask Masai why he drafted a post player if their system ignores post play. He's blunt enough to do it.
        Actually Masai did have an answer. He said our offense is guard orientaded. Didn't seem like he had any issues with our offensive system.

Masai always seem to be left out in all the criticism when it comes to our offense. He is just as much at fault as Casey at this point. He's brought Casey back two times now. He obviously supports our style of play.
        Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jul 13, 2016, 08:47 PM.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• The point of summer league is to learn the system, they likely have poeltl focusing on the defensive end/ screening/ rebound as that is what will get him the minutes next season. He's not about to get many nba touches next year, but we do need him for the back up c role. Offense is likely the last thing the coaching staff is worried about.

I'm not sure why anybody is supposed, we just went through this with jv.

If poeltl is in SL next year, they will probably make him the focal point.

Comment

• draps wrote: View Post
            The point of summer league is to learn the system, they likely have poeltl focusing on the defensive end/ screening/ rebound as that is what will get him the minutes next season. He's not about to get many nba touches next year, but we do need him for the back up c role. Offense is likely the last thing the coaching staff is worried about.

I'm not sure why anybody is supposed, we just went through this with jv.

If poeltl is in SL next year, they will probably make him the focal point.
            This. Him and Pascal will be the focal point.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
              FIVE possessions per game in summer league? Seriously? You're defending that crap?

It's not him being 'less important'(whatever that means), it's our offense. After JV's first four seasons, it would be impossible to argue that our offense is anything other than intentionally avoiding giving the ball to post players.
              Lmao yeah because we're clearly running our offense to a tee in summer league. This literally has zero to do with JV.

Comment

• I had expected to see some chemistry between yak and delon. Pnr high post. They blew one against Mavs and delon was upset with yak. All that comes to mind. Yaks played 90mins?

Comment

• Without watching every minute, I'm sure the high points per possession ratio for the bigs didn't come from them setting up their own shots. They mostly came from putting back rebounds once the guards miss their shots or running out in transition for open dunks. Not to defend our system but I don't think you can look at these stats and say all baskets are created equal. If we gave the young bigs more looks, it's not like that high ratio would translate.
                  Last edited by Jclaw; Wed Jul 13, 2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Thon Maker popping 3s... maybe we should of got this kid

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                      Thon Maker popping 3s... maybe we should of got this kid
                      Its summer league relax.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        Its summer league relax.
                        like i thought he was going to drop to our second pick...

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          Without watching every minute, I'm sure the high points per possession ratio for the bigs didn't come from them setting up their own shots. They mostly came from putting back rebounds once the guards miss their shots or running out in transition for open dunks. Not to defend our system but I don't think you can look at these stats and say all baskets are created equal. If we gave the young bigs more looks, it's not like that high ratio would translate.
                          Against Dallas, Poeltl got his points from post moves - not put backs

Comment

• I don't know if it was mention but there is going to be a press conference at 11:45 this coming morning with DD and Sully.

Comment

• I heard 11:15 am.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• But based on how late they usually start, 11:45 is probably more accurate.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X